LOTR Helm's Deep Officially Retired

Do you aspire to be the "I-know-more-than-anyone-else-d0uche" in every thread? If so, congrats.

Bummer, I still have to see his drivel when someone else quotes him.  He apparently thinks people are upset about his bone-headed opinions.  No, people are upset because it is incredibly annoying to read the same over the top, hyperbolic ridiculousness over, and over, and over, and over, and over.   

• Like 4

HD will do better % wise than the FB IMO. Most likely investers hoarded FB more than the HD's. HD has been out at least half the life span of the FB as well. Yes, HD has been on a blowout sale lately, but look at The Harry Potter Hogwarts castle #4842 for example. HD will have similar gains. The market will be way too flooded with FB's to see any real gains for a long time to come. Only time will tell. 

• Like 1

HD will do better % wise than the FB IMO. Most likely investers hoarded FB more than the HD's. HD has been out at least half the life span of the FB as well. Yes, HD has been on a blowout sale lately, but look at The Harry Potter Hogwarts castle #4842 for example. HD will have similar gains. The market will be way too flooded with FB's to see any real gains for a long time to come. Only time will tell. 

%-wise, agreed. If one builds one HD castle, they tend to build 2-3 more to surround the main castle. I've seen it done many times by my friends, they all buy 3-5 HD, and build a massive castle. So holding just HD set won't cut it. At least position yourself with a minimum of 3 sets. That's where I went wrong.....should've loaded up 6-10 sets with the BN sale. All gone now. Win some lose some.

%-wise, agreed. If one builds one HD castle, they tend to build 2-3 more to surround the main castle. I've seen it done many times by my friends, they all buy 3-5 HD, and build a massive castle. So holding just HD set won't cut it. At least position yourself with a minimum of 3 sets. That's where I went wrong.....should've loaded up 6-10 sets with the BN sale. All gone now. Win some lose some.

yeah i would say the minimum would be two sets, put them back to back makes a nice simple double "ring" castle. Add a couple army sets to expand on some of the walls and its and impressive realistic looking castle

There's no telling what HD can yield in the long run. I would compare this to the first Batman Arkham Asylum. .

These two situations aren't even close to the same. The fact that you're now realizing that there are way more HDs put away should tell you everything you need to know about how these are different.

• Like 2

These two situations aren't even close to the same. The fact that you're now realizing that there are way more HDs put away should tell you everything to need to know about how these are different.

I love it when people compare sets now with sets that appreciated 300% before Lego Investing was really popular.

Same thing with FB. Anyone that thinks it will come close to even the Green Grocer is smoking something.

• Like 4

These two situations aren't even close to the same. The fact that you're now realizing that there are way more HDs put away should tell you everything to need to know about how these are different.

I agree.  While I think it will do well.  Comparing recent sets to those retired before 2010/11 (or so) isn't a fair comparison.

Soooo I ordered a HD to build from Amazon Warehouse on Thanksgiving as soon as I found out the set was retired. I paid $96 for it at the time. My Prime account had expired and rather than go ahead and pay for another year before placing my order (didn't want to miss it at that price, which was pretty darned good at the time), I went ahead and opted for the free Smart Post sloooooow shipping.

The expected delivery date was Dec. 7. I've been watching the tracking. The package arrived in Chicago on the 7th and hasn't moved since then. I assumed this was due to snow and ice. However, I was expecting to see at least some movement by now. So I contacted Amazon to see if there was any more information. Without missing a beat they offered to refund my order.

So here I am with $96 back, and a possible free HD on the way.

The Amazon Warehouse Helm's Deep arrived today!!! And it's in immaculate condition!!! 11 days after the estimated delivery date. I'm not complaining though. Free HD. I absolutely love Amazon.

I love it when people compare sets now with sets that appreciated 300% before Lego Investing was really popular.

Same thing with FB. Anyone that thinks it will come close to even the Green Grocer is smoking something.

Oooo, can I have some. So I can watch my FB go up up up... :twitch:

• 1 month later...

Anyone else finding these at local stores? Seems like they are very thin at most TRU stores.

I've been purchasing them at $120 now, which is telling me they are scarce.

With a big set like this, will you guys flip the the first sign of prices sky rocketing or would this set merit a hold for x amount of years for maximum profit?

Thanks!

LOTR is a theme in which I am in for the long haul. I probably should have scored more than the 15 Helm's Deep sets I have but such is life.

Same here. I just ran out of space. Luckily, I was able to acquire 13 sets over the last yr. My avg cost is about $92. Can't wait to start unloading these in 2015.