LOTR Helm's Deep Officially Retired

I have 19 at the moment. I am really debating going and picking up the remaining ones I saw last night at TRU. If they are still there that is.

That is awesome. You can build your own army for sure, then you can stomp on your castles and rebuild them. :)

I really wish I had 1 or 2 more.......you'll be able to pocket decent cash with 19 sets. As mentioned, there will be no more LOTRs. Replaced by the Hobbit. The writing is on the wall.

So, I know of another two HD sets at a local TRU but the boxes are extremely mangled. One has both tabs on one end popped off and is being held shut by those sensor string things.  The other set has a big holed ripped in the bottom but not to where anything can fall out.  Plus lots of general shelf wear/creasing on both of them.

What do you guys think?  Is it still worth picking these up for around $123.00 after tax?

-Jeff

So, I know of another two HD sets at a local TRU but the boxes are extremely mangled. One has both tabs on one end popped off and is being held shut by those sensor string things.  The other set has a big holed ripped in the bottom but not to where anything can fall out.  Plus lots of general shelf wear/creasing on both of them.

What do you guys think?  Is it still worth picking these up for around $123.00 after tax?

-Jeff

Damaged boxes are harder to sell, but for builders, it doesn't matter. I'm not a box collector, more of a builder. For the ones I do collect, I want them in excellent condition because a new buyer would want their boxes to be perfect. It's subjective. I paid $130USD for a Tower Bridge set where the box was completed crushed and damaged. If I put it up on ebay, I'm almost guaranteed to get at least $150USD for it now, but I rather play with my set.

If you seriously can't find any nice HD boxes sealed, you gotta do what you gotta do. Hit that buy button and enjoy life. :)

Damaged boxes are harder to sell, but for builders, it doesn't matter. I'm not a box collector, more of a builder. For the ones I do collect, I want them in excellent condition because a new buyer would want their boxes to be perfect. It's subjective. I paid $130USD for a Tower Bridge set where the box was completed crushed and damaged. If I put it up on ebay, I'm almost guaranteed to get at least $150USD for it now, but I rather play with my set.

If you seriously can't find any nice HD boxes sealed, you gotta do what you gotta do. Hit that buy button and enjoy life. :)

wow.. looks like you made out. Every used tower bridge I have seen has been around $180 not including shipping.

So, I know of another two HD sets at a local TRU but the boxes are extremely mangled. One has both tabs on one end popped off and is being held shut by those sensor string things. The other set has a big holed ripped in the bottom but not to where anything can fall out. Plus lots of general shelf wear/creasing on both of them.

What do you guys think? Is it still worth picking these up for around $123.00 after tax?

-Jeff

Try to talk to the manager or CS, they might give you a discount for a damage box, I've done that before. The guy in front of me today got at 15$ credit on a PA because of a hole in the box. Good luck

Try to talk to the manager or CS, they might give you a discount for a damage box, I've done that before. The guy in front of me today got at 15$ credit on a PA because of a hole in the box. Good luck

I guess CS where you live is .. really bent on giving customer service. My TRU is more like "buy it or cry without it".

I hated that I missed Hogwarts Castle.  I waited too long to get better discounts.  I remembered checking TRU one day and they were sold out during some kind of sale and never came back :(  To add insult to injury I passed on several smaller/addon Hogwarts @ Kmart waiting for their 50% off sale.  I have not been able to look at anything Hogwarts on eBay ever since lol

I have both Helms Deep and the 4842 Hogwarts Castle. Although returns on both will be great, I must admit that I liked Helms Deep a lot more before I put it next to Hogwarts - think it now looks too small now.

Soooo I ordered a HD to build from Amazon Warehouse on Thanksgiving as soon as I found out the set was retired. I paid $96 for it at the time. My Prime account had expired and rather than go ahead and pay for another year before placing my order (didn't want to miss it at that price, which was pretty darned good at the time), I went ahead and opted for the free Smart Post sloooooow shipping.

The expected delivery date was Dec. 7. I've been watching the tracking. The package arrived in Chicago on the 7th and hasn't moved since then. I assumed this was due to snow and ice. However, I was expecting to see at least some movement by now. So I contacted Amazon to see if there was any more information. Without missing a beat they offered to refund my order.

So here I am with $96 back, and a possible free HD on the way.

Soooo I ordered a HD to build from Amazon Warehouse on Thanksgiving as soon as I found out the set was retired. I paid $96 for it at the time. My Prime account had expired and rather than go ahead and pay for another year before placing my order (didn't want to miss it at that price, which was pretty darned good at the time), I went ahead and opted for the free Smart Post sloooooow shipping.

The expected delivery date was Dec. 7. I've been watching the tracking. The package arrived in Chicago on the 7th and hasn't moved since then. I assumed this was due to snow and ice. However, I was expecting to see at least some movement by now. So I contacted Amazon to see if there was any more information. Without missing a beat they offered to refund my order.

I hope that it arrives for you, but they will likely "intercept" your order and return it to their warehouse.

I am considerably jealous! They did a similar thing with a Vampyre Castle with me.  Were supposed to send a Monster House, sent a VC, and they comped it.

So I contacted Amazon to see if there was any more information. Without missing a beat they offered to refund my order.

I don't know how Amazon is doing it but I have had a few issues with a couple of orders and they just threw money at me. If they are doing this all the time I don't know how they are making any money.

I don't know how Amazon is doing it but I have had a few issues with a couple of orders and they just threw money at me. If they are doing this all the time I don't know how they are making any money.

That place have not made a dime since it opened in 1997. It runs like a non-profit. Maybe when they take all the businesses from the brick and mortar, they'll start jacking up all the prices and actaully make a profit.