Question for experienced Parter-outers

Ive had a seller buy only the set no minifigures ... he clearly knew he he was purchasing just the set with no minifigures .. once he got item and saw the manual he started asking where the minifigures were because they were pictured in the instruction booklet. And than he started saying he thought the minifigures were included all of a sudden when he purchased my item knowning it did not come with minifigures. 

So now I evidently need to go back through all my listings and put "NO BOX" on all my minifigures.

I like descriptions that say "Minifigure will be shipped in padded envelope." That should eliminate any confusion about no box and then eBay would more than likely remove any future "no box" comments.

Disclaimer, I'm not an experience seller, but I have been buying on eBay for over 10 years and have bought quite a bit. Please take this feedback with a grain of salt.

I think your descriptions of the auctions is poor. Your store features are highlighted more than the description of the item which is a big negative to reading the entire listing. Your terms and conditions are formatted poorly (too big, too colorful, too much space) and on your listing with short descriptions, they take up too much space. My eyes are drawn to the stretched image of the millenium falcon inside that bright red background.

Personally, I think you should refund the money and make the buyer pay for return shipping as per your shipping conditions. That won't make them happy one bit.

Then you should reformat your listings to make sure the first thing people read is the description <sort of, nothing wrong with having your store name at the top, but my goodness, take out that red background with blue font over it, my poor eyes :)>

• Like 1

I like descriptions that say "Minifigure will be shipped in padded envelope." That should eliminate any confusion about no box and then eBay would more than likely remove any future "no box" comments.

Disclaimer, I'm not an experience seller, but I have been buying on eBay for over 10 years and have bought quite a bit. Please take this feedback with a grain of salt.

I think your descriptions of the auctions is poor. Your store features are highlighted more than the description of the item which is a big negative to reading the entire listing. Your terms and conditions are formatted poorly (too big, too colorful, too much space) and on your listing with short descriptions, they take up too much space. My eyes are drawn to the stretched image of the millenium falcon inside that bright red background.

Personally, I think you should refund the money and make the buyer pay for return shipping as per your shipping conditions. That won't make them happy one bit.

Then you should reformat your listings to make sure the first thing people read is the description <sort of, nothing wrong with having your store name at the top, but my goodness, take out that red background with blue font over it, my poor eyes :)>

Yeah they were done in about 5 seconds. I really didn't want to open up my Ebay store to BP for that reason - because it is not ready. I am working on some stuff for it using HTML. I totally agree it is half done - mostly because I am only selling things that are pretty straight forward at the moment.

And I think just because your eyes aren't drawn somewhere doesn't mean you don't need to read it.

But I should have everything fixed up very soon. Problem is I am selling things at a clip I can't keep up with - so I am having to figure that out and keep up with that. And my dumbass for some reason feels it is more important to expand than make it look good - at least in the interim. But my profit would agree with me.

Because of this I have had a couple issues - not including this one. Those have been handled where I admitted the listing wasn't as clear as it should have been, refunded money and went.

Right now I am going with that bother over the time it will take to immediately because my sales are so high. But I know I will deal with things like this - just this one is irritating because it is pretty clear, and I have sold so many without issue. I hate to require people have 10 feedback, but I may have to.

I like red and blue - don't see the problem with it. But everything is getting messed with at the moment. I hate how Ebay doesn't let you play with things before hand. Either that or I haven't seen how to yet. But stay tuned - hopefully in two weeks everything will look totally different. But at up to averaging 17 sold items a night over the last month I have to pick and choose what I do. I am up to spending about 2.5 hours a night packing stuff. lol.

God I am not going to sleep in December.

You can't require people to have a certain number of feedback to purchase from you, it's completely against eBays rules and if you refuse to complete a transaction with them you can be reported as a non performing seller. The closest you can get to this is to block buyers with -2 as their feedback rating, which doesn't happen anymore since buyers can't be left negs.

Don't worry about your listing being fancy, concentrate on clarity, simple wording, and brevity. A bunch of HTML in the descriptions can make mobile shopping harder on buyers, and that's one of the fastest growth areas on eBay right now.

If your selling velocity is making you rush and not do things the way you want to, slow down. Raise your prices to slow sales a bit while still maintaining the cash flow. Too fast growth can hurt a business that's not ready for it, on or off eBay.

• Like 1

And I think just because your eyes aren't drawn somewhere doesn't mean you don't need to read it.

This is perhaps the truest statement of all.

I like red and blue - don't see the problem with it. But everything is getting messed with at the moment. I hate how Ebay doesn't let you play with things before hand. Either that or I haven't seen how to yet. But stay tuned - hopefully in two weeks everything will look totally different.

On my laptop screen, the blue looks like it is dancing unless I move to about 4 inches from the screen. Hurts my eyes and no, it's not a cheap laptop.  The UI guy in me says to use a slightly larger font size, maybe even make the font bold, but definitely go a shade or two darker with your blue and it'll be ok.

Like I said, please just take them as friendly suggestions. (but I am a programmer and I've done 10+ years of GUI related design and coding ;))

You can't require people to have a certain number of feedback to purchase from you, it's completely against eBays rules and if you refuse to complete a transaction with them you can be reported as a non performing seller. The closest you can get to this is to block buyers with -2 as their feedback rating, which doesn't happen anymore since buyers can't be left negs.

Don't worry about your listing being fancy, concentrate on clarity, simple wording, and brevity. A bunch of HTML in the descriptions can make mobile shopping harder on buyers, and that's one of the fastest growth areas on eBay right now.

If your selling velocity is making you rush and not do things the way you want to, slow down. Raise your prices to slow sales a bit while still maintaining the cash flow. Too fast growth can hurt a business that's not ready for it, on or off eBay.

Aw - I saw the thing I just figured you could raise the ceiling. Oh well then.

Im not going to put a bunch of HTML - just easier to make it stay the way you want it at the end. I speak HTML so its almost easier for me than text in certain cases.

heh - raising prices is not helping, lol, they are still getting bought. Really just that time of year. Like I said, I want to do more stuff, but in general I am not too concerned with it enough to sacrifice the sales at the moment. 

When I started it I thought if I could make ---- I would be happy and have fun doing it. I am somewhere at 10x what I thought in 3 months. So I can live with it being a bit below my expectations in other areas. I am more concerned with creating a good inventory system, being ahead of orders, etc. which is what I am working on more so than making my listings a little easier to read. Its a calculated risk (doesn't mean its calculated correctly, I know).

I am going to actually ask people for feedback when I finish my new format. At this point, I want my house clean enough that my wife doesn't murder me. lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is perhaps the truest statement of all.

On my laptop screen, the blue looks like it is dancing unless I move to about 4 inches from the screen. Hurts my eyes and no, it's not a cheap laptop.  The UI guy in me says to use a slightly larger font size, maybe even make the font bold, but definitely go a shade or two darker with your blue and it'll be ok.

Like I said, please just take them as friendly suggestions. (but I am a programmer and I've done 10+ years of GUI related design and coding ;))

No I do - I said that a bit bluntly - I meant I didn't see what hurt the eyes. I can kind of see it when I get closer. I am immune to laptop/computer light because I stare at one at least 18 hours a day. lol.

I do see it when I get close - I think you are right. Need a different color scheme. I like red because I am a Louisville fan. But can't always get what you want. lol.

Thanks for the help.

While we are on the topic of crazy negative feedback... 

I sold this and just received negative feedback: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151131930075.

The person says it's missing two of this piece: http://brickset.com/parts/?part=4187136. However this set is only supposed to come with 1 and it's supposed to be removed from the final build, it's only used as a spacer. I've been very nice to the buyer and they agreed to return it for a full refund and they will remove the negative feedback but continue to insist that it should have both these parts and that the winds don't unfold properly because it's missing these pieces.

No I do - I said that a bit bluntly - I meant I didn't see what hurt the eyes. I can kind of see it when I get closer. I am immune to laptop/computer light because I stare at one at least 18 hours a day. lol.

I do see it when I get close - I think you are right. Need a different color scheme. I like red because I am a Louisville fan. But can't always get what you want. lol.

Thanks for the help.

I have bad eyes and despite having sat behind a computer for most of my awake time since 1991 and in front of video games since Xmas 1982 when I got my Coleco Vision, my eyes aren't immune to it. Consider yourself lucky. ;)

Here is my pro-tip... Keep the red banner at the top with your store name. Put the "links" under the banner like a menu, then take the red out of the side menu. You'll be 95% of the way there.

Come on, you can't be that busy. :frantics: Hahaha, just kidding.

I have bad eyes and despite having sat behind a computer for most of my awake time since 1991 and in front of video games since Xmas 1982 when I got my Coleco Vision, my eyes aren't immune to it. Consider yourself lucky. ;)

Here is my pro-tip... Keep the red banner at the top with your store name. Put the "links" under the banner like a menu, then take the red out of the side menu. You'll be 95% of the way there.

Come on, you can't be that busy. :frantics: Hahaha, just kidding.

Hmm, I kind of like it. I might try that. 

I am busy - but its my own fault. I don't know if anyone on here noticed (said no one ever) that I am a serious workaholic. I thought for a long time it was a disease, so I stopped... and it almost killed me. I find purpose from accomplishing something constantly. So the amount of stuff I do is pretty stupid.

The amount I don't sleep is pretty stupid as well. Plus I tend to do everything pretty good, nothing great.

But one thing just can't hold my attention fully (well except maybe beautiful women :) ) I'm like a little kid with ADD walking around and...

OH! A QUARTER!

• Like 1

Just wait.  All the FREAKS of EBAY come out and buy at Christmastime.  Then they will leave you neutral/negative feedback because they are usually ignorant or illiterate.  Just wait until 2 days before Christmas when someone orders something and then blames you for it not getting to them in time.  Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas.  It just brings out the, lets say, not so savvy consumer.

• Like 1

Just wait.  All the FREAKS of EBAY come out and buy at Christmastime.  Then they will leave you neutral/negative feedback because they are usually ignorant or illiterate.  Just wait until 2 days before Christmas when someone orders something and then blames you for it not getting to them in time.  Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas.  It just brings out the, lets say, not so savvy consumer.

Yeah I am figuring this is gonna happen. I already had one person message me like 10 times complaining about how I didn't send all this stuff and opened packages and everything. 

Turns out, they had never bought a Lego set before and was just trying to find something for their friends kid and he loved lego. They calmed down luckily and I sent them a free figure as a christmas gift.

I am not naive enough to think that is gonna happen every time though. lol.

This is what I'm afraid of.  I'm thinking of timing all of my stuff to end around the 20th.  Then I'll relist on the 26th.  It sucks that Christmas falls on a Monday. 

This is what I'm afraid of.  I'm thinking of timing all of my stuff to end around the 20th.  Then I'll relist on the 26th.  It sucks that Christmas falls on a Monday. 

Lol.

Yeah I am not sure what I am gonna do - I am on vacation from the 20th to the 24th so I will most likely set my away thing and avoid all the problems.

Idle question - what period during December garners the highest sales? Like week or 2-3 day time period?

Also, what would you say your sales increase by in december past a normal month?

I have been seriously stocking up for December, but I want to properly hypothesize where I will be.

This is an interesting thread.

I normally list on Saturdays & Wednesdays and I wondering if for auctions ending after a certain date I should put proviso on the listing saying I cannot guarantee to have stuff delivered for Christmas. This may have to be for stuff ending as early as the 11th for UK delivery and up to a month for international (??) which is about now really.

Also I am wondering if my blurb is too long - below are a couple of examples - but I have not had any issues for not describing pieces or sets where except I have actually made a mistake (which I fixed).

Do I need the T&Cs section?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291018451450?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291012685471?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Of course, the more missing pieces there are the longer the description will be :)

This is an interesting thread.

I normally list on Saturdays & Wednesdays and I wondering if for auctions ending after a certain date I should put proviso on the listing saying I cannot guarantee to have stuff delivered for Christmas. This may have to be for stuff ending as early as the 11th for UK delivery and up to a month for international (??) which is about now really.

Also I am wondering if my blurb is too long - below are a couple of examples - but I have not had any issues for not describing pieces or sets where except I have actually made a mistake (which I fixed).

Do I need the T&Cs section?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291018451450?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291012685471?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Of course, the more missing pieces there are the longer the description will be :)

I like the terms and conditions section - I really feel like it makes you seem more legitimate to a buyer - you mean business.

Since you cannot leave buyer negative feedback, I type this for example:

*** NEGATIVE FEEDBACK*** Do not trust this dishonest buyer!

in before Justafrog!

This is against Ebay's terms and conditions. While I understand why you do it, and have wanted to do it myself, if they report you , you can get in trouble for doing that.

Since you cannot leave buyer negative feedback, I type this for example:

*** NEGATIVE FEEDBACK*** Do not trust this dishonest buyer!

I believe this is against ebay's policy and they will delete feedback like this and I'm sure they will penalize you if you keep doing it.

Guest TabbyBoy

I believe this is against ebay's policy and they will delete feedback like this and I'm sure they will penalize you if you keep doing it.

I've only had a couple of bad buyers who either can't/won't read, just enjoy returning stuff or a PayPal chargeback.  I always open a case with eBay if I've done my bit and stand to be out of pocket and, so far, I've not been warned about doing this.  I only do this if absolutely necessary.  I'd like to avoid buyers with <98% feedback but you can't.  Zero feedback is OK as they have to start somewhere.

It is absolutely against eBay's US policies and I'd be shocked if it weren't against eBay's UK policies. The first time a buyer reports you for this, you will be sanctioned. It's not worth a strike on your selling account to post retaliatory feedback against a buyer.

I've only had a couple of bad buyers who either can't/won't read, just enjoy returning stuff or a PayPal chargeback.  I always open a case with eBay if I've done my bit and stand to be out of pocket and, so far, I've not been warned about doing this.  I only do this if absolutely necessary.  I'd like to avoid buyers with <98% feedback but you can't.  Zero feedback is OK as they have to start somewhere.

There is a reason ebay keeps you from leaving negative feedback. Additionally after that person gets 2-3 other feedback no one will ever read what you wrote and it won't make a difference for their actual feedback score. Almost every buyer is going to have 100% feedback unless they are also sellers. Amount of feedback is more important than having 100% feedback. So you're actually helping them and potentially harming yourself.