ToysRus doing normal pricing going forward?

icephoenix181

Tried to pick one of the sets up just now...I had it at the register but there was a block in the system saying they can't sell the set until Dec 1st.  Manager said she couldn't override it.   Looks like they have a couple weeks to reflect on how ridiculous they will make the price.

For some reason, almost every time they put out new sets before the street date they sell them for actual retail price. Once the release date arrives they bump the price. It seems backwards to me as people are more likely to pay a premium when they can only get them at one place, but what do I know.

Yeah for a shady company they aren't exactly savvy about when to mark stuff up.

I mean, look at the Vampyre Castle and Ghost train - they are selling for $20 or more over TRUs current price on Ebay.

I was able to purchase 1 of each of the new Hobbit sets at TRU.com for store pick up at the same store that prevented me from purchasing earlier.  Went through to completion with 15% off code working off the normal retail price.  Now all 4 sets show out of stock for store pick up.   Any predictions on if they will fill the order???

I was able to purchase 1 of each of the new Hobbit sets at TRU.com for store pick up at the same store that prevented me from purchasing earlier.  Went through to completion with 15% off code working off the normal retail price.  Now all 4 sets show out of stock for store pick up.   Any predictions on if they will fill the order???

With TRU, you never know what can happen. One day they can restrict you from buying them and the next day, they can let you buy all of them. I am leaning towards that they will not fill the order.

Surprised they only marked up the 41999 crawlers 30 bucks when I grabbed 5 last month. Don't they check ebay?

Also---from Dailey deals thread---I guess we can't post pics there. Here is my tru snafu.

I think you can get that fixed to get your $10 back.  Looks like they charged you for an E-Card or something.

For some reason, almost every time they put out new sets before the street date they sell them for actual retail price. Once the release date arrives they bump the price. It seems backwards to me as people are more likely to pay a premium when they can only get them at one place, but what do I know.

I was thinking that as well.  Plus it makes more sense to have higher prices on release due to the earlier adopters that simply must have one on day one for their collection.

With TRU, you never know what can happen. One day they can restrict you from buying them and the next day, they can let you buy all of them. I am leaning towards that they will not fill the order.

Just got back from TRU-they filled everything I ordered except the elf army.  Was able to get 2 of all the other sets at actual retail minus the 15%. 

Guest TabbyBoy

Don't count on it!  I for one have written to LEGO's head office (wish I hadn't) to complain about above RRP prices (eg. Amazon, WH Smith, TRU, Hamleys, Harrods, any shop at an airport, etc.).  I have had a response saying that sale prices are up to the retailer's judgement in local markets as RRP is "recommended" not mandatory.  WH Smith being the worst as they are selling the

If LEGO do enforce fixed prices, that's the end of investing for us as they won't allow eBay sellers to charge through the nose for current (near EOL) sets.

I can see Lego having control over the primary market but how could they legally do the same thing with secondary sellers on eBay, Bricklink, Amazon, etc?

Guest TabbyBoy

I can see Lego having control over the primary market but how could they legally do the same thing with secondary sellers on eBay, Bricklink, Amazon, etc?

As long as it's a current product, Lego may be able to force eBay to control pricing.  At the other end of the scale... Claber (gardening bits) did this when I was selling micro-drip kits a few years back and I had to increase the price to RRP resulting in no sales!  I then set up multiple eBay accounts and got rid of it all anyway before they noticed. Even auctions resulting in less than RRP were stopped! ;-)

I can't really see LEGO doing this and it's a worst-case scenario but, it would upset flippers a bit who already had current stock.

Who wants to sell their 41999 to me for