Lego Sets to buy before end of 2013

Due to The Lone Ranger tanking at the box office is it safe to say that the Constitution Train Chase or the Stagecoach Escape may not be around for two years?  I think now is the time to buy if there is a good sale.  I believe these two sets will be investment winners.  I also like The Silver Mine Shootout.  I think it is a unique set and it may go EOL before the Constitution Train Chase and Stagecoach Escape, if these two stick around longer than I expect them to.

I agree. I bought 7 stage coach for 6.99.  Put one together and it is pretty cool. 

Due to The Lone Ranger tanking at the box office is it safe to say that the Constitution Train Chase or the Stagecoach Escape may not be around for two years?  I think now is the time to buy if there is a good sale.  I believe these two sets will be investment winners.  I also like The Silver Mine Shootout.  I think it is a unique set and it may go EOL before the Constitution Train Chase and Stagecoach Escape, if these two stick around longer than I expect them to.

All LR sets are in the Holidays 2013 catalog, so I think we can expect them in stock at LEGO Shop at Home for at least another 6-8 months.

I agree. I bought 7 stage coach for 6.99.  Put one together and it is pretty cool. 

Not sure how you were able to score it for that cheap, but I'm with you.

Just curious, do you have a reputable source for FB's EOL timeline ?  People have been saying "this year will be the last year for FB" since at least October 2011

I suspect that TLG know demand will be high so they produce more. Price won't be like , or jump as fast as, Cafe Corner or Market Street. TLG would regret for "not producing" more too. Just like us where we regret not buying. Now everyone learn.Then "I'll produce more" and "I'll buy more" meet.  :poke:

Well you would unfortunately already be wrong because it has almost doubled in value already.

I have offloaded a good bit of mine for $25 each.

I sold about half of mine already. And as for "more work" I disagree. I state in my listing that I ship in a bubble mailer for free or they can pay $2 for a hard shipping option. No one is buying these at $25 as an investment and they don't care about the box condition. I slide mine in the bubble mailer and attach the label. Bam! Done!

Buy as many 10227 B-Wings you can store. Hands down , this will be a home run. Not a grand slam unless it retires by Dec 2013. If not for space limitations, I would own 25 instead of 17.

After that, buy as many Monster Fighter sets as you can find on discount 30% off or better. You missed the boat for 40%-75% off sales.

Next up, buy many copies of the Superman, Wonderwoman, Lex set.

Jabba's Palace with the Rancor and Skiff sets. Sell all 3 together.

Finish it up with Orc Forges if you can still find them.

Keep a watch on...

the LR Train as already mentioned (might have a short retail run), I would pay no more than $75 each. Was able to find a few for $65 on eBay. Not enough people are talking about how this set comes with track. Only a few trains are sold with track, let alone straight ones. Power Functions can also be added.

The VW T1 is awesome. I loved building it. It also displays so nicely in the bedroom that even the wife doesn't mind it.

What about the Winter village cottage 10229? This is it's second year and it should be retired after new years. all the sets from the winter village series had so far a 2 year life span.

The first 2 winter village sets (10199 and 10216) were both available for 3 holiday seasons. 10222 however was only available for 2 holiday seasons. Since the cottage is on it's second holiday season right now it could go after this year, but I'm a firm believer that Lego is going to start keeping the newer holiday sets (the cottage and the new winter village market) around a lot longer than the previous 3. The first 3 were $50-70 sets and the 2 newer sets are $100 sets. I don't see them continuing the 2 or 3 seasons and out method that they used before with sets that are $100 and up. Rather I think the newer holiday sets will start to follow a similar trend that the modulars are now on. The Cottage was a huge seller for TLG last year and I'm sure it will be around for at least another year or two, or five haha

• Like 1

I sold about half of mine already. And as for "more work" I disagree. I state in my listing that I ship in a bubble mailer for free or they can pay $2 for a hard shipping option. No one is buying these at $25 as an investment and they don't care about the box condition. I slide mine in the bubble mailer and attach the label. Bam! Done!

Everyone cares about how there item is shipped and their initial view is formed right away upon opening the package. You keep sending the boxes in bubble mailers and you will have a problem regardless what you say in the description. if no one has made a fuss yet you have been lucky.

I agree with you about smaller sets. I love them, some appreciate quickly, are cheap to ship and shipping multiples isnt that much more work than shipping the bigger sets. Plus the Large sets are pain to package and have more risk. Id rather sell 100 small sets and make a little off the shipping for my time.

As far as using Bubble Mailers It doesnt cost that much more maybe .50 and not much more work to properly box the set. Id reconsider your strategy or you will learn the hard way. I also ship hundreds of items in bubble mailers but would not dare to send any Lego box that way. May not be an investment at $25 very well could be a gift and your showing your buyers you dont really care how their item looks when it arrives. Bad business IMO

• Like 1

The first 2 winter village sets (10199 and 10216) were both available for 3 holiday seasons. 10222 however was only available for 2 holiday seasons. Since the cottage is on it's second holiday season right now it could go after this year, but I'm a firm believer that Lego is going to start keeping the newer holiday sets (the cottage and the new winter village market) around a lot longer than the previous 3. The first 3 were $50-70 sets and the 2 newer sets are $100 sets. I don't see them continuing the 2 or 3 seasons and out method that they used before with sets that are $100 and up. Rather I think the newer holiday sets will start to follow a similar trend that the modulars are now on. The Cottage was a huge seller for TLG last year and I'm sure it will be around for at least another year or two, or five haha

I expect Cottage will have 3 years (2014 being the last), but I would be surprised to see 4.  However, given the outside chance that this year is its last I will be trying to add when these are discounted in Feb (if they are still in stock then).  TLG will likely add 1 new WV each year as they have done thus far.  Each year they have only had 3 "live" at one time.  If they add a new one each year and Cottage lasts 4 years then they would have 4 live in 2015 (Cottage, Market, 2014 set, 2015 set) which I think is doubtful.  That's why I am thinking 3 years.  Cottage is my favorite of the WV lot.

The Cottage is my favorite, too. And my first set ever. If I see it 20% off again in January, I'll pick up a few more.

Story: seeing the cottage on sale was my eye-opener to the potential of Lego. The clerk told me an eariler customer bought 11 @ 20% off. That made so much sense I couldn't bear it. I probably found BrickPicker that same night.

Anyway I think I'm done buying this year. I've got about 100 sealed sets of varying sizes, and no more than 7 of any one set. I have 7 HDs, 3 VCs, 5 UGs, 4 R2s, 4 VWs, 4 HHs, 3 41999s, 3 8110s, B-wings and Funhouses and and a Super Star Destroyer, oh my.

I don't know if I really expect any of them to eol this year. Anyway that's my keeper stash for now. Although I do still want a Kingdoms Joust, so maybe one more buy before 2014.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

Well I certainly hope the LR Stagecoaches do great in the future I got 15 of them in the Kmart 50% clearance, I paid 12 dollars for each.....

You lucky thing, the cheapest in the UK is