7938 - Passenger Train

bibious

• 6 months later...

my local TRU has an unlisted $5 off sale on the last one in their store. it was a strange transaction but this seems to be the norm at my TRU. as we all know, TRU had $25 off $100 last week. the set was listed for $149.99 on the shelf label and was $129.99 on their web site. I thought about it and decided to buy it since this should do "ok" come EOL but only IF they matched the web site plus honored the $25 off (many TRU do not like to adhere to discounts and price match even their own site for various silly reasons). plus, i haven't been able to find this set below retail in a while and missed the $93 sale last year. anyway, it rang up for $124 instead of $129 and the cashier insisted to the mgt i should pay $129 before the $25 discount. at least the mgr gave her a "what?" look and said the price is $124 since $129 is higher. anyway, i was able to buy the set for $108 after tax.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ph4tb0i

Well, it is somewhat similar to the last passenger train released on the CITY theme (7897), and that model has so far been performing really well. It was a cheaper model with better PPP, but I believe 7938 should really do at least as well as the previous one, maybe better.

I think it will do well but probably not as well as 7897. 7897 had the whole ICE train theme going for it (still finding a way to get one cheap as it discontinued during my dark ages. :().

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this set looks great on it's own as red colour train goes well with almost all colours. Red also has advantage of retaining the colour for decades, as oppose to white bricks. It's a must have companion train set to modular buildings (while the yellow cargo train will look out of place).

I am probably in the minority, but I actually like the look of this red train over the orange colour express train set :sheep:

Lol I am sorry. 

I actually bought a few hours prior and paid 68 per train which I thought was good and then saw them drop. I contacted amazon and they refunded me the difference back on the 2 I bought.

Then I went and bought another. 

Amazon UK having massive sales. I would check every theme out. SW, City, Super heros all crazy prices. THe coast guard boat set was @ 26 pounds I grabbed 2 for xmas present. Wont I look like the big spender haha

Sauromosis - You did well. That is so cheap for postage. 

I have no idea why they are going so low. If anyone is on the fence, I would buy. Never been that low on Amazon.co.uk ever (at east according to camel).

All that spending put a dent on the CC, nearly 2k all up. Luckily I can sell some to family, for my kids present and make a little coin as well :) They get more lego, I offset costs. I call that good parenting :)

• Like 1

My only theory is that they produced a TON of them.  For months my Toys R Us never had this or cargo train, then one day around a month ago they all had 10.

More like clearing stock as this train is going EOL, having been on market since Jin 2010. Quantity limit per customer is set at 3.

Amazon UK having massive sales. I would check every theme out. SW, City, Super heros all crazy prices. THe coast guard boat set was @ 26 pounds I grabbed 2 for xmas present. Wont I look like the big spender haha

Dang it, I missed the boats  :bye: !  I did get a Cargo train last night. So happy I didn`t buy the passenger train. Was contemplating it, but didn`t. Now I will  :thumbsup:

Anyone notice any other good deals at the moment? There`s tons of deals, but significant ones I mean. 

Kings Castle for 53GBP is better for those not in the states.