How I Almost Got Arrested Today, Over $10

Coneil21

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if you get contacted by Target in the not so distant future in regards to this with threats of legal action.

All I can say to that is "bring it!"

Thanx for all the support everyone. I know there are ways to get around this issue, but for the life of me I was not expecting there to be a problem, and I must say I was caught off guard. Or another way to put it is that I was blindsided by stupidity!!!

• Like 1

What I'm trying to figure out is where did she pull the $10.65 from? You did not go in there for a full refund; just a straight up exchange. Was the cashier trying to make you pay the difference between the original online sale price and in store one? :scratchhead: Sheesh, I bet trying to have a conversation with people like her may go a little like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V138kVv6Dk

Anyway, sorry you had to take a detour into "The Twit Zone". :wacko:

Guest TabbyBoy

Wow.... the lack of brain power is bewildering. Call centres can be painful though I have found that dealing with customer service for some of the big chains here in Australia is surprisingly not that bad. It is incidents like this though that make you never want to purchase from that store again no matter where it is. 

At least you got your set in the end!

Are most Australian call centres in God-forsaken places where English is barely spoken like those in the UK are?  That drives me cuckoo and I've closed bank accounts because of this.

Are most Australian call centres in God-forsaken places where English is barely spoken like those in the UK are?  That drives me cuckoo and I've closed bank accounts because of this.

A lot are, however when dealing with online issues I have always spoken to someone in the actual online purchasing department in Australia. It hasn't taken long for issues to be resolved. 

On our new found community Willie-meter, this is just the beginning. You start with possible arrests, and you work your way up to returning $3000 worth of merchandise in the manager's face over 10$ worth of rip off. Which is awesome.

I look at it like this living in the south. Anyone here watch squidbillies? This is exactly what I think of when I think of a Willie situation:

Early Cyler is explaining what happens when you drink "Glug", his new liquor drink:

"Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated."

The 10$ was the gift card that you forfeit when returning the item. The cash register nor employee can use logic ib this case and simply do what the machine says. Gimme $10 back that you got for buying this.

Target actually charges you $10 for the gc and lowers the price of the items you bought so that you aren't able to return all your items and keep a free $10 gc. If they were just charging him for the $10 gc, there wouldn't be any tax.

What I'm trying to figure out is where did she pull the $10.65 from? You did not go in there for a full refund; just a straight up exchange. Was the cashier trying to make you pay the difference between the original online sale price and in store one? :scratchhead:

Unfortunately most cashiers at places like Target, Walmart and TRU get very little training and usually rely on more "senior" employees to show them tricks of how to use the registers.

I'm guessing that this store (along with nearly every store I can think of) has a policy of issuing a refund on the first item, then scanning the new item in. It shows a transaction took place, which is correct <you always want records in your system about the day's activities>. What the useless employees failed to realize is that they just ought to do a price override on the newly scanned item to price match. Then they fill in their little piece of paper that nobody ever reads saying "price match on return of damaged item from target.com."

• Like 1

I'm just wondering, if instead of taking an online purchase to your local store for an exchange, you tried doing it through their online return method (mailing it in, waiting for the replacement). Would it be a straightforward exchange with no questions asked? It often seems like there's a disconnect between a brand's online store and their brick and mortars. Some companies have taken the initiative ($$$) to figure this out and smooth out the process through trial and error. Others lag behind, angering customers who are only trying to do what they thought was perfectly fine to do. Really I've witnessed cashiers (the ones with brains) recognizing the stupidity of it all but having to deal with it over and over again. It's not just the customers they're pissing off, but their own employees.

But great story! And good job sticking to your guns. I admire you for that :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

Well, Quacs, I returned to the scene of the crime today and, guess what? You were right! LMFAO

should'a ask for a discount on a damaged item and the bought it.  Hope the same mgr isn't there :) 

When I went to jail my first day they got us McD's  but still overrated I didn't even get a t-shirt.