How I Almost Got Arrested Today, Over $10

Coneil21

Sorry this is so long but I just can't take the stupidity and complete lack of common sense anymore! I need to vent!

So back a week or two ago when Target was giving the $10 gift cards I ordered online 2 of the big Coast Guard sets for around $55 each, plus the $10 gift card. Pretty sweet deal, I thought. When I got my delivery one of the sets had a big dent near the top. Not too terrible, but bad enough that I threw it in the back of my car with the intention of exchanging it for a non-damaged set the next time I was in Target.

So that next time was today. I go to customer service with my damaged box and receipt and explain the situation. No problem, I'm told. I just had to go get the new set off the shelf. As luck would have it, I got the last set on the shelf and it was in perfect condition. I happily skipped back to customer service (i didn't really skip).

The woman at the register starts to ring the sets up to do an even exchange. I was running late to pick up my son and was a little annoyed she didn't just trade boxes with me, but I politely went along with the formality. As she finished scanning the sets, i slipped the new set into the bag I had brought the damaged one in. I was all ready to say my thank you and head out the door. I just needed my receipt back and she was still holding it. Next thing I know she says I have to pay $10.65. Huh???????

After scratching her head for five minutes, the genius behind the register tells me I have to pay the in store price, which is $10.65 more. Again, huh??????? I don't think thats right, I tell her. I just want to replace the damaged box that Target sent to me. Nope, she says, you have to pay the $10.65. I'm not paying that, I say. She gets someone on the phone who, after she poorly explains the situation, agrees with her! Where is the common sense??? Its the same exact freaking set!

I now am forced to wait another 7 minutes waiting for the Assistant Manager. I was hopeful Assistant Manager would have some common sense, but of course, she turned out to be about 12 years old and there was no way she was going to disagree with the stern looking 50 year old cashier.

I was so fed up with the stupidity that I was about to just say screw it and return the damaged set and miss out on the great deal. Then I thought WWWD (What would Willie do?). And I got inspired. I leaned over to the cashier and told her to give me my f-ing receipt before I punched her in her f-ing face! (I didnt say that, but I was thinking it as I reached over and swiped the receipt out of her hand). She and Assistant Manager simultaneously started warning me that I couldn't leave with the non-sh**ty set until I paid the $10.65. Then arrest me, I said as I headed toward the door with the new set and my receipt.

Assistant Manager calls security, who greets me at the exit. Here's my receipt I tell him and here is my set. Im leaving. Assistant Manager flies over to us and tells security not to let me leave because I have to pay $10.65 for the set. Security repeats what Assistant Manager said. I tell him to either arrest me now or I am leaving. He gets all nervous. He looks at me, then at the steam coming out of Assistant Managers ears, then back at me. It was as if he was trying to figure out what would be worse, incurring the wrath of Assistant Manager or actually having to do something with me. I guess security dude really doesnt like to actually do anything at work, because he told me I could leave.

Poor dude. I can still hear Assistant Manager screaming at him

• Like 1

You should forward this post in an email to Target corprate and see what they have to say. Actually you should just go back with both sets and ask for a full refund at the inflated store price ($10.65 x 2) and see if they do it. If they say no way, then ask them in what line of logic does it take to make you pay the extra money when doing a straight exchange if they cannot refund you the same amount for a return. :question:

• Like 3

You should forward this post in an email to Target corprate and see what they have to say. Actually you should just go back with both sets and ask for a full refund at the inflated store price ($10.65 x 2) and see if they do it. If they say no way, then ask them in what line of logic does it take to make you pay the extra money when doing a straight exchange if they cannot refund you the same amount for a return. :question:

Talking logic to a CS representative is often times counterproductive - they either get ticked because they know you're right and they can't do anything about it, or can't understand the logic.  Either way, it doesn't usually end well.

EDIT - I do agree COneill should forward this complaint to Target corporate.  Target is a company that prides itself on customer service, and the reality is she wouldn't have been in their trying to trade out the set if their boxes had been packed properly. 

Great story!  Well not so "great" I suppose, but thanks for sharing.  Hope you feel better venting.  you should definitely take it up higher as a complaint.  That sort of service is just nuts.

Had to edit your thread title a little too sorry.  Seems like the "..." part caused some issues.  I've noticed that using things like that or certain symbols in thread titles causes a redirect error for some.

Great story!  Well not so "great" I suppose, but thanks for sharing.  Hope you feel better venting.  you should definitely take it up higher as a complaint.  That sort of service is just nuts.

Had to edit your thread title a little too sorry.  Seems like the "..." part caused some issues.  I've noticed that using things like that or certain symbols in thread titles causes a redirect error for some.

I was getting the redirect error for a while, and then I cleared my cookies and it solved the problem.

I had the exact same thing (minus the security guard) happen to me at a wal-mart. I had ordered a set online. The box was crushed, and when I went to do an EVEN exchange, they told me I had to pay the store price. I told them no way. Fortunately, there was a manger or someone there that told the first customer service person to just do the even exchange, so it didn't have to get ugly, but I totally don't get the logic behind trying to charge you more. I thought it was just wal-mart that was being stupid. Sorry to hear they gave you such a hard time, but glad to hear you didn't get arrested! :)

Priceless! That`s just too funny. I would have asked her (the 50yo cashier) what she was smoking on her coffee break, because it certainly wasn`t pure cigarettes. Ridiculous. That said, one other option would have been to just buy the new one,  and come back and some point in the future with the new reciept and the damaged item. All you need is an excuse to bring it back, and no issues. There shouldn`t have been an issue in the first place (going back to the smoking), but sometimes you just can`t reason with people. Bottom line, you took the initiative and got what you came for. Kudos!

That`s a very good point.

I was getting the redirect error for a while, and then I cleared my cookies and it solved the problem.

Glad is wasn`t just me! Thought something was terribly wrong  :D

Nice story.  You don't call corporate ever when you have an issue at store.  That should always be plan C, plan A is to talk the store manager who does not want the regional manager to know.  If you have the assistant manager's name, it'll be even better.  If the store manager does not fix the issue, you slowly work up the chain.  To make a long story short, you want to shake the people in the trenches before you write a letter and CC everyone in the food chain.  After what they put . you through, you'll end up with at least an apology and maybe some coupons.  =)

Guest TabbyBoy

Thank you for sharing.

Another way is to buy a perfect box from the shelf and then return it with the damaged box few minutes later.

Less likely to have issue in this case.

That's what I would've done but, at another branch.

Wow.... the lack of brain power is bewildering. Call centres can be painful though I have found that dealing with customer service for some of the big chains here in Australia is surprisingly not that bad. It is incidents like this though that make you never want to purchase from that store again no matter where it is. 

At least you got your set in the end!

From their page about exchanges/returns for online items:

Refund/exchange policy
Most unopened items in new condition returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange. Some items have a modified return policy that is less than 90 days. Those items will show a

I used to work loss prevention.  Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if you get contacted by Target in the not so distant future in regards to this with threats of legal action.  Hopefully things will be able to be resolved once a higher up with greater sensibilities is involved.  Frustrating.

While there are workarounds it still remains that OP was mistreated due to ignorance of employees. He is due an apology and a Death Star for his troubles.

I noted while trying the same thing a week ago that my manager noted the system was trying to screw me. Other members here felt that statement was overly harsh. And in comparison at least i didnt have to get tactical with an LP agent.

The target popcorn would be a'flyin!