No Discounts Policy on LEGO Exclusives & Hard to Find Items

amnesiac

Most months aren't like this. Think about non-double VIP, galaxy squad promo month?

Also, I would redo your stuff like this:

VW (after fees ) - $18

Clone - $10

Not sure where the 5% comes from.

plus that 40$ in VIP requires you to buy again AND you don't get VIP for using VIP. So your discount is somewhat limited there as well.

Above, you are assuming you're selling the promos now, but what if you hold for six weeks when they're not selling these any more during the peak of the holiday season? I have a sneaking suspicion these will be higher then.

There was a thread earlier today (that we took down) with an eBates-like company that provides 5% back on Lego S@H purchases.  That and the 1% from Amazon card (to maintain consistency between the scenarios) at least equals the 3% Amazon card and 3% eBates cash back for an Amazon purchase.

I'm not going to argue that most months don't have the amazing promos they do this month.  But if you're cash-back programs/credit card promos even out, any cash from a Lego promo will tip the scales toward S@H.  Add that to even regular 5% VIP cash back, and TLC has done a good job of making S@H the cheaper destination for exclusives.

EDIT - I can't forget sales tax.  That would have to even out with 5% + promo.

They are just following example set by Apple on their flagship products.  There are ways to get around this for the big box stores, like offering free store gift cards for the purchase

Wouldn't mind LEGO doing that. Beats that 10% coupon that barely covered tax, to get a total of a 0.75% off...Great...

Really?! When I went to Legoland Florida, some one bought a Death Star and they got the 10% discount.

When did you go? The exclusives sets exclusion from the 10% coupon is relatively new, so anything that might have happened 5 months ago doesn't apply now.

Wouldn't mind LEGO doing that. Beats that 10% coupon that barely covered tax, to get a total of a 0.75% off...Great...

When did you go? The exclusives sets exclusion from the 10% coupon is relatively new, so anything that might have happened 5 months ago doesn't apply now.

I went last year. I was starting to think that the set exclusions is relatively new.

Above, you are assuming you're selling the promos now, but what if you hold for six weeks when they're not selling these any more during the peak of the holiday season? I have a sneaking suspicion these will be higher then.

There was a thread earlier today (that we took down) with an ******-like company that provides 5% back on Lego LEGO Shop at Home purchases.  That and the 1% from Amazon card (to maintain consistency between the scenarios) at least equals the 3% Amazon card and 3% ****** cash back for an Amazon purchase.

I'm not going to argue that most months don't have the amazing promos they do this month.  But if you're cash-back programs/credit card promos even out, any cash from a Lego promo will tip the scales toward LEGO Shop at Home.  Add that to even regular 5% VIP cash back, and TLC has done a good job of making LEGO Shop at Home the cheaper destination for exclusives.

EDIT - I can't forget sales tax.  That would have to even out with 5% + promo.

Holding promos for that long is a gamble with money though too - you don't know they will go up. I definitely agree this month its better, but most months I like Amazon - especially because I consistently get them in my gold box and don't pay tax as well as 3% back with Amazon. Saved money now is always better than possible money now if the difference is not that big.

I just remember the minimech promo. Good lord that was terrible. And the VW is probably the best promo they have ever had. Normal months, sell something for $15, and with VIP its not a contest.

Holding promos for that long is a gamble with money though too - you don't know they will go up. I definitely agree this month its better, but most months I like Amazon - especially because I consistently get them in my gold box and don't pay tax as well as 3% back with Amazon. Saved money now is always better than possible money now if the difference is not that big.

I just remember the minimech promo. Good lord that was terrible. And the VW is probably the best promo they have ever had. Normal months, sell something for $15, and with VIP its not a contest.

Right, I think Amazon works for you because you do not have to pay sales tax.  Some of us aren't that fortunate.

For me, I have to pay like at least 8.25% for online orders, and 9% firm at local stores.   

Right, I think Amazon works for you because you do not have to pay sales tax. Some of us aren't that fortunate.

For me, I have to pay like at least 8.25% for online orders, and 9% firm at local stores.

It's amazing how the pricing advantage now swings on the quality of the monthly promos, and your state's sales tax rate!

I'm at Disneyland with my wife a three kids right now. We have season passes which I bought partly in anticipation of buying at the Lego store here with the 10% discount. Went last night and I was denied the discount on every set I brought up to the counter (both holiday sets and R2-D2). I am pretty bummed. I ended up not buying. I might as well purchase online and avoid having the lug the boxes around...

The manager at the store told me is was a brand new policy and it applies to all discounts, even employee discounts. He "speculated" that is was to guard against reselling...

• 4 months later...

I'm at Disneyland with my wife a three kids right now. We have season passes which I bought partly in anticipation of buying at the Lego store here with the 10% discount. Went last night and I was denied the discount on every set I brought up to the counter (both holiday sets and R2-D2). I am pretty bummed. I ended up not buying. I might as well purchase online and avoid having the lug the boxes around...

The manager at the store told me is was a brand new policy and it applies to all discounts, even employee discounts. He "speculated" that is was to guard against reselling...

That is terrible. My buddy has a pass and just called the store and told him 10% on items at the store...

I was going to get an annual pass @ DL, but now, I don't care for it (wanted it mostly for the 10% off @ the store) if they won't allow it on the bigger sets?

That is terrible. My buddy has a pass and just called the store and told him 10% on items at the store...

I was going to get an annual pass @ DL, but now, I don't care for it (wanted it mostly for the 10% off @ the store) if they won't allow it on the bigger sets?

Are you talking about the lego land stores or an actual B&M lego store? I think the guy you quoted was talking about the normal B&M lego stores.

Most of the restaurants and stores on the Disneyland property allow you to get discounts with your Annual Pass.  That includes places like Build-a-Bear and Jamba Juice, too.

I've had an annual pass for Disneyland almost every year for the last 20 years, and, if I didn't know LEGO like I do, I'd be surprised I wouldn't get a discount at the LEGO Store.  

The only discounts I know of connected to theme park memberships are the 10% member discounts that you get from the Legoland and Legoland Discovery Center stores located within the parks/centers. It is my understanding these do apply to exclusives, but I haven't purchased one to verify. The bummer is you have to pay sales tax on these exclusives which wipes out a good chunk of the difference between MSRP and the discounted price.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Heh, I forgot about this topic.

Yes, for the LEGO store at downtown Disney you can get 10% off of non-exclusive items with a season pass. You can see it from the Downtown Disney District tab on the page that Alpine posted above. I guess its still cool if you want to purchase non-exclusives, but you can generally find better deals from Target, Walmart, etc.

I'm actually going this weekend, so I may end up using it while getting the MM minifig.

I went to B an ****** and the lady told me Lego won't let then use coupons on the death star or r2d2 or they would refuse to let then sell lego in their store.

YMMV as it still works in DE and NJ may be that someone did not read the memo or an employee is not enforcing it.

Any lawyers on here that can explain how this is not price fixing by Lego and thus against the law? Reminds me how Nintendo forced everyone to sell the NES for $99 when it came out back in the late 80s they got sued and everyone who owned one got $5.

I went to B an ****** and the lady told me Lego won't let then use coupons on the death star or r2d2 or they would refuse to let then sell lego in their store.

That indicates corporate is aware of what is going on. That deal will probably get much tougher for those who try to use it.