No Discounts Policy on LEGO Exclusives & Hard to Find Items

amnesiac

Everyone (or majority) will ''spit'' on me probably but I think they made the right choice..... Its already impossible to get any sort of discount on Exclusives like Orthanc and Haunted House in Europe (on top of the PRICE INCREASE) so that just levels the playing field a bit more again...

I never seen Haunted House on less than 160

If the coupon does not say anything about exclusions then you have a good case to argue with the store manager. Bring in a weeping child for maximum effect. Preferably a girl. Even if it's for the Death Star.

I remember playing the part of the weeping child so that I could use the coupon. Unfortunately it did not work. But I can understand, why TLG would do this. A simple 10% discount on a small set like a battle pack, is not a lot, but when there is a 10% discount on a $400 set, everything changes and more people want to buy the set, but at a lower cost, so TLG would be missing out on a lot of money.

this is probably not a big concession, but that 10% discount did apply to the LEGO Chess set.  The LEGO employee employee told me that the discount wouldn't apply for the "bigger sets".  I'm not sure what is considered bigger.

Really?! When I went to Legoland Florida, some one bought a Death Star and they got the 10% discount.

I remember playing the part of the weeping child so that I could use the coupon. Unfortunately it did not work. But I can understand, why TLG would do this. A simple 10% discount on a small set like a battle pack, is not a lot, but when there is a 10% discount on a $400 set, everything changes and more people want to buy the set, but at a lower cost, so TLG would be missing out on a lot of money.

Well, maybe and maybe not.  If all other retailers are also selling the same set at $400, but Lego stores/online offers VIP points and free promotional gift, wouldn't it still make sense to buy from them?

I think if you are just a seasonal lego buyer who buys just a few sets per year, you probably won't care about that 10% coupon.  This is entirely different from investors' perspective since all of them (including me) want to buy at lowest price as possible to maximize the profit margin down the road. 

Well, maybe and maybe not.  If all other retailers are also selling the same set at $400, but Lego stores/online offers VIP points and free promotional gift, wouldn't it still make sense to buy from them?

I think if you are just a seasonal lego buyer who buys just a few sets per year, you probably won't care about that 10% coupon.  This is entirely different from investors' perspective since all of them (including me) want to buy at lowest price as possible to maximize the profit margin down the road. 

I think it only hurts Lego. Some are still going to buy from other places because of rewards and everything else. For instance, Buying a SSD kind of would make sense at Amazon. No tax for me, also 3% cash back with the card, 2 day shipping and way faster processing.

this is probably not a big concession, but that 10% discount did apply to the LEGO Chess set.  The LEGO employee employee told me that the discount wouldn't apply for the "bigger sets".  I'm not sure what is considered bigger.

Not sure.   The last time when I ask the same question to the store employee, he told me the 10% coupon will work on all the expensive Technic sets (with the exception of 41999).  He even recommended me to get that Crane MKII to maximize the savings.

I think it only hurts Lego. Some are still going to buy from other places because of rewards and everything else. For instance, Buying a SSD kind of would make sense at Amazon. No tax for me, also 3% cash back with the card, 2 day shipping and way faster processing.

I was thinking about this today, and here's the "discount" you can get on SSD at S@H right now:

VIP Points: $40

WV Promo set: $25

Clone Trooper Lieutenant: $15

5% rebate program: $20

Sales Tax @ 8%: ($32)

Total discount through S@H - $68

I don't think you will ever see SSD at $332 on Amazon.  Granted, we are in a month with great Lego promotions, and discounting may not be as good in July as it would be today.  This also doesn't capture the time it takes to list and ship the two promo sets.  All that said, it's still a phenomenal time to buy Lego from S@H.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Anybody know if the $20 off $100 or $5 off $50 coupons from the Kid Stuff coupon books are also being declined?

for the good stuff (exclusive and hard to find) yup no good, but if you want to use on anything else

All this month, I have been debating getting the HH.  If you are like me, those vip points happen to sit for awhile since LEGO Shop at Home sales on sets is few and far between.  I hate paying retail for any set. It is very disappointing that Lego is not allowing any sales on the bigger sets.  I will probably end up buying less exclusives because of this.  

The price-setting for their best stuff doesn't actually bother me - both Lego and their authorized retailers can "get around" the price set as has already been mentioned, by bundling it with other items they are allowed to discount and/or offering freebies to go along with the item.

Those who pay attention and know how to use their calculators will still get the best deals. 

I was thinking about this today, and here's the "discount" you can get on SSD at LEGO Shop at Home right now:

VIP Points: $40

WV Promo set: $25

Clone Trooper Lieutenant: $15

5% rebate program: $20

Sales Tax @ 8%: ($32)

Total discount through LEGO Shop at Home - $68

I don't think you will ever see SSD at $332 on Amazon.  Granted, we are in a month with great Lego promotions, and discounting may not be as good in July as it would be today.  This also doesn't capture the time it takes to list and ship the two promo sets.  All that said, it's still a phenomenal time to buy Lego from LEGO Shop at Home.

Most months aren't like this. Think about non-double VIP, galaxy squad promo month?

Also, I would redo your stuff like this:

VW (after fees ) - $18

Clone - $10

Not sure where the 5% comes from.

plus that 40$ in VIP requires you to buy again AND you don't get VIP for using VIP. So your discount is somewhat limited there as well.