Effect of Seller Name..?

matt1147

So I recently changed my account name on eBay just a few days ago from a "personal sounding name" to a more "business sounding name." Since then, my sales have been more frequent....at first I just thought it coincidence...and maybe it is still, but I've seen a noticeable increase on sales (most all my items are BIN and have been listed a while with only a few new ones).

The other factor may be I recently passed a new threshold where I got a new seller icon rating from eBay...so may that affects it too??

Anyone else experience this? Do you buyers out there look at the sellers name? Do sellers think about their selling name accordingly?

That's a really interesting question man.

My eBay name is a personal one as well. I don't have too much trouble selling stuff, even before top rated seller. But when I think about it I definitely do look at the name of the seller - when I look at the feedback rating.

I don't know that it makes a major difference but when pressed I think that I like buying from a more business name type eBayer than someone else. But it's hard to tell.

What I will definitely bank on though is that I am more likely to save a seller called "sweetlegodeals" than "FatSteve". Lol

I may consider changing mine to see the effect. Something easier to remember isn't a bad thing anyway

No issue, you will keep your feedback score. The only thing is you will have an icon next to your username that will let users know you have a new username.

Well crap.  I've wanted to change mine but never wanted to start over my feedback.  I believe that the feedback score is what does the talking anyway, but having a dumb user name from 15 years ago when I was in college may make somebody shy away from another seller with a more professional name.  Thanks.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've changed mine from 313638 to SmartyFartBlast (a twist on Hitch-Hikers character) to Bargain*Bandit to what it is now and sales seem unaffected.  It's feedback that counts and I'm pleased to say that I'm still at 100% with not even a neutral.

I have been involved in hundreds of transactions over the years as buyer and seller.  The only time I remotely pay attention a user ID is when a transaction turned sour.  Even in those situation, I immediately put their IDs in my BBL and forgot about them.

As a buyer, I only look at 2 things: seller's feedback and the price of their items

Well it seems like the name shouldn't affect anything much if at all - I agree Feedback is KING!  I have noticed an uptick in sales, so it's either coincidence or perhaps moving up on the ranking so my listings get more exposure!  Either way, I'm liking it this week!  :-)

thanks for the comments!

I've changed mine from 313638 to SmartyFartBlast (a twist on Hitch-Hikers character) to Bargain*Bandit to what it is now and sales seem unaffected.  It's feedback that counts and I'm pleased to say that I'm still at 100% with not even a neutral.

Don't jinx yourself!!!  There are plenty of wackos out there dying to destroy positive feedback!

I just recently changed my seller name from a personal one to a more business sounding catchy (hopefully) one. I agree that feedback is king, but I hope to create name recognition going forward. A name that is personal to me most likely is going to be obscure and have no recognition with customers that aren't familiar with the reference.

For anyone who wants to change your user name, the "changed user name" icon only stays next to your name for a short period of time (don't remember how short, maybe 30 days?)

User names don't matter to me as long as they're not actively offensive, but some buyers might care slightly, maybe, sometimes.

wouldn't lose any sleep over them.

For anyone who wants to change your user name, the "changed user name" icon only stays next to your name for a short period of time (don't remember how short, maybe 30 days?)

User names don't matter to me as long as they're not actively offensive, but some buyers might care slightly, maybe, sometimes.

wouldn't lose any sleep over them.

30 days is the duration of the "changed name" icon.