Mailing on CraigsList

comicblast

Hi guys. Just wondering what your thoughts are on have a CL seller send me sets by mail, since it is really inconvenient for me to go and pick them up from him. He seems legit enough, and is replying to my emails. It's for a lot of 8000 Pit Droid, 8010 Darth Vader, and 8011 Jango Fett for $50, not including whatever shipping may cost.

Thanks!!

He can tell you the shipping is tracked all he wants, but there's still a huge risk he never sends the set. 

I would never agree to having a Craigslist seller ship a set.  There's no recourse if the guy steals your money.

EDIT - I would never agree to having a CL seller ship a set UNLESS I had done business with them before and trusted them.

• Like 1

I've been doing this a LOT lately. Usually offer seller an extra 20 to ship ---plus shipping. Having a lot of luck. Searching odd low population areas like Vermont, upstate ny, West Virginia. I make up some story about how I am from their area and still check Craig's...but moved far away. Blah blah. Send them a personal check and tell them to take a week to clear check and send whenever. No rush. 8 out of 10 have accepted. One wanted a money order...which I did and worked out fine.

I would talk to them on the phone prior to agreeing on anything. When you have them on the line, get their residence address. You can always look that up later. See if you can find a match to the address and the seller's name. Not fool proof by any means at all. Just talking to them might give you an idea if they can be trusted or not...

I would talk to them on the phone prior to agreeing on anything. When you have them on the line, get their residence address. You can always look that up later. See if you can find a match to the address and the seller's name. Not fool proof by any means at all. Just talking to them might give you an idea if they can be trusted or not...

Ok, so he gave me his name address, number, email, etc., so I think I'll go ahead with things. He's apparently an eBay seller, but just wanted to get around fees this time around.

I've been doing this a LOT lately. Usually offer seller an extra 20 to ship ---plus shipping. Having a lot of luck. Searching odd low population areas like Vermont, upstate ny, West Virginia. I make up some story about how I am from their area and still check Craig's...but moved far away. Blah blah. Send them a personal check and tell them to take a week to clear check and send whenever. No rush. 8 out of 10 have accepted. One wanted a money order...which I did and worked out fine.

Wow.  I'm not sure if you are being serious or not.  That seems crazy-risky.  Are you somehow screening the type of person you're dealing with to make sure they aren't crackheads and whatnot?

What can go wrong? When they cash check or money order.....the back is stamped with their routing number and account. I get their name and address when i send the check or money order. I know where it's going, to whom it went, and who deposited it into what account. I ask them to get a tracking number ....for both of our piece of minds.

I have done this........12 times in last 4 months....looking back over records. I generally text and email a bit...so have that info if things ever went south. I just sent a money order for 260 last week to someone in nh for mixed lots..and minifigs. Not sure why anyone thinks I am joking? I can post logs---actually here it is.....my latest

post-14194-0-00521700-1381801158_thumb.j

post-14194-0-75484300-1381801167_thumb.j

post-14194-0-72317700-1381801176_thumb.j

post-14194-0-23786600-1381801192_thumb.j

post-14194-0-18918000-1381801215_thumb.j

post-14194-0-46912100-1381801230_thumb.j

What can go wrong? When they cash check or money order.....the back is stamped with their routing number and account. I get their name and address when i send the check or money order. I know where it's going, to whom it went, and who deposited it into what account. I ask them to get a tracking number ....for both of our piece of minds.

How would you go about getting your money back if you never receive the items?