9474 Helms Deep "Call to check product availability"

Quacs, you've been a big help to me today.  +rep

I pulled the trigger on some from the Brickpicker link. 

It's now "Sold Out" on S@Home, sorry if this was mentioned above.

Amazon is the best way to get this set now - it's less than retail by almost 20%, and it's retired on S@H.  It appears they're still sitting on a lot of these, but that doesn't mean they won't raise the price soon.

One thing to consider about these LOTR sets is they are much likely to be repeated. Hogwarts is central to the Harry Potter series so it was natural to repeat it multiple times. LOTR was spread out over middle earth. Also the HP series spread over almost a decade so there were were a few repeats. I'm guessing the LOTR/Hobbit sets will probably only last for 3 or 4 years. They are doing Minas Tirith next. What other big scenes would they do? Osgiliath, under the mountain, bag end, mordor?

One thing to consider about these LOTR sets is they are much likely to be repeated. Hogwarts is central to the Harry Potter series so it was natural to repeat it multiple times. LOTR was spread out over middle earth. Also the HP series spread over almost a decade so there were were a few repeats. I'm guessing the LOTR/Hobbit sets will probably only last for 3 or 4 years. They are doing Minas Tirith next. What other big scenes would they do? Osgiliath, under the mountain, bag end, mordor?

Bag End is already done with The Hobbit's An Unexpected Gathering.  I don't think you'll see this again.

I don't see Lego going much farther with Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit past 2014 when they come out with a third & final wave for both. Thing is Harry Potter had eight films while both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are separate yet related trilogies with The Hobbit being the current running one. The first Lord of the Rings film by Peter Jackson was back in 2001 meaning it took eleven years until Lego decided to take up the property which conveniently coincided with The Hobbit film coming out at the end of the year. Every wave so far for each theme has been taken from several parts of their respective series without any repeats as of yet and I doubt there ever will be.

Now if Lego wishes to continue building upon Lord of the Rings past the final part in The Hobbit trilogy there could be a chance for some repeats but I just do not see it. Once The Hobbit is gone, so is The Ring way I figure it.

3 years would be pushing it. You would expect another wave just before the final movie, possibly one last while it is still relevant in people's minds. After that, there is nothing and whilst there is more adventures to potentially make movies from in the world of Middle Earth (and beyond) it is unlikely we will see anymore for a long time. This is why Harry Potter is doing well in the afterlife, and why I expect the same from these Middle Earth sets (LOTR more than The Hobbit IMO)

3 years would be pushing it. You would expect another wave just before the final movie, possibly one last while it is still relevant in people's minds. After that, there is nothing and whilst there is more adventures to potentially make movies from in the world of Middle Earth (and beyond) it is unlikely we will see anymore for a long time. This is why Harry Potter is doing well in the afterlife, and why I expect the same from these Middle Earth sets (LOTR more than The Hobbit IMO)

Given that there will new movies set in the wizarding world in 2016 it's possible that Lego may restart this theme. But they probably could not call it Harry Potter as its set 60 years before his time.

Guest TabbyBoy

They haven't even officially retired and are already selling for 68$ on ebay (free ship). Why do you hate money??

I know, nothing appears to have fully retired yet and may yet appear again on LEGO Shop at Home  I just changed my mind as my gut feeling on this set is not what it was.  However, I still have over a dozen just in case. They are just not selling for much on eBay UK right now.

Guest TabbyBoy

Orc Forge seems to be returning in the US for now as it's "Temporarily out of stock" but, still retired in the UK.  Frankly, I don't trust what LEGO Shop at Home say anymore and no longer shop there.

Are we overestimating the popularity of this line.  They dumped 6 sets on us in the first wave and the subsequent wave came with 3 sets.  If this line is a printing press, what are they slowing down, it doesn't make sense they wouldn't shove more down our throats?

Maybe LOTR/Hobbit has unique licensing agreements that have shorter lifecycles?  Anyone with any info on that?  I know Star Wars/Lucas/Disney has its own parameters.

There's a new Hobbit movie each year for three years and consumers won't buy sets from the first movie when the third movie is playing in theaters. 

The appeal of Helm's Deep is for both castle MOCs and army building.

Guest TabbyBoy

Yeah, "Sold Out" clearly has no meaning but it does seem like Helm's Deep is going bye bye, that's what emazers said.

Unless Emazers works for Lego or lives with somebody who does, he's just as much in the dark as we are.  However, I do respect his input to these forums.

Maybe LOTR/Hobbit has unique licensing agreements that have shorter lifecycles?  Anyone with any info on that?  I know Star Wars/Lucas/Disney has its own parameters.

There's a new Hobbit movie each year for three years and consumers won't buy sets from the first movie when the third movie is playing in theaters. 

The appeal of Helm's Deep is for both castle MOCs and army building.

I wished it's a contractual issue with just 3 sets in the second wave.  They have no battlepacks and the cheapest sets only comes with 2 minifigures as well and nothing more.  That could also be a contractual matter.  I also think this is the first building "toy license" for LOTR as well.  LOTR might just ended their toy license a few years ago and just recently slice and dice it.  That can explain why it took them 10 years to have its first Lego set.  I got skin in the game and wish it does well.  It does raise a red flag though and a little puzzling.

Unless Emazers works for Lego or lives with somebody who does, he's just as much in the dark as we are.  However, I do respect his input to these forums.

Sure, he doesn't work for Lego.  He does have access to the wholesale form and Helm's Deep was not for reorder back in May.  That's good enough for me to load up.

Such short run in the first wave is also another red flag.  That's a double edge sword since there's less sets in circulation.

I wished it's a contractual issue with just 3 sets in the second wave.  

Such short run in the first wave is also another red flag.  That's a double edge sword since there's less sets in circulation.

I'm not sure what three sets you're talking about, but the LOTR second wave has had five releases:

79005 Wizard Battle

79006 Council of Elrond

79007 Battle at the Black Gate

79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

10237 Tower of Orthanc

As to the "short run" of the first release, if I remember correctly those sets were all available for Christmas 2011.  That's two years for the first release, if not more for MoM and/or Shelob Attacks.  Two years is a pretty typical run for a Lego set.