9474 Helms Deep "Call to check product availability"

I see alot of mention of Hogwart's over these forums..but there were 4 made? I came along after the Harry Potter series was retired already...which of the Hogwart's do most people refer to? I bought a used 4709 after reading that Hogwarts was selling used for $250. Apparently I jumped the gun because my 4709 isn't going to fetch anywhere near $250.

Just trying to figure out where you think HD will fall in the price spectrum. I bought 5 at $65 a piece. If it clears $200 I'd consider it a win! I'd clear over $500 after fees/shipping/gas etc.

The Hogwarts that people are talking about is the last version, 4842.

That's ridiculous that people are calling this a dud already...get a grip drama queens...it's not even off the shelves yet. 

This happens with every set.

"Wait, you mean I can't double my money on something I can still buy in the store? WTF?!?"

Patience.

• Like 1

Odd time to EOL two popular sets, just before the Christmas rush I would have epected them to be around unitl January.

Of course 9472 & 9476 went "EOL" in June, since that time Amazon UK has been selling them at a 30% +  discount.

And the BP price for these two is still falling.

Its just that they were sold out faster than expected by LEGO... thats why they aren o longer available... they EOLed long ago in factories

• Like 1

I think we are nearing the range where set prices should slowly start ticking upwards.  That is my hope.

You mean 9742/6? Hope so cos I have 5 of each.

fingers crossed that HD does appreciate. I have 5 tucked away!

Only got 3 it's one of those big box sets. The other LOTR sets have better sized boxes.

Everyone assumes these are slam dunks, but I am starting to question their popularity a bit. If Helm's Deep doesn't shoot up quickly into the $150+ range by Christmas, I think that's a bad sign.

That's not much of a jump over RRP. But as Alcarin says it depends on how many Amazon have.

I think HD will end up being a good 200$ set maybe 250$

Over what period?

I think many are over playing the popularity of LOTR. I think the sets will increase in value when EOL but will never see the demand of HP sets. There are many afol that will pay over retail but I don't think the 8-12 year olds care about hobbit or smog and would even prefer Chima sets. I believe in investing in what you like but I feel there are too many 20-30 year old LOTR fans on here and worries me when everyone is buying these asuming HP like returns IMO ain't happening.One reason HP did well is so many of you were late to the game not the case with HD. My 2 cents

I think many are over playing the popularity of LOTR. I think the sets will increase in value when EOL but will never see the demand of HP sets. There are many afol that will pay over retail but I don't think the 8-12 year olds care about hobbit or smog and would even prefer Chima sets. I believe in investing in what you like but I feel there are too many 20-30 year old LOTR fans on here and worries me when everyone is buying these asuming HP like returns IMO ain't happening.One reason HP did well is so many of you were late to the game not the case with HD. My 2 cents

I think LOTR will do fine... defo will do better than Prince of Persia and similar.

as for

Over what period?

I usually say predictions in around 3-5 years AFTER retirement so lets say X-mas 2017 I think you could sell HDs for around 180-200$ each which is pretty average considering retail was 140$ .....

I see both sides of the argument this is can be a dud: 1) LOTR and Hobbit sets sat on the shelves and not moved where I am 2) these were done production back in May since it was not in the wholesale list for 2014 3) these sold out way before xmas, when you have call for availability you can pretty much kiss it goodbye My optimism about the Helms Deep is the POTC ships were absolutely garbage at the retail level last year. The retailers had to use Black Friday and deep discount after Xmas just to get rid of those ships at the retail level. People here are still licking their chops from beating themselves up for not getting them last year. I'm not saying Helms Deep will have the same return but everyone should have some stashed away.

I think LOTR will be slow and steady compared to HP. LOTR has been around since the 60s and so has a very high spread in age range. They "will" go up.... eventually hopefully all the flippers will get bored and sell soon after EOL.

Lord of The Rings has been around for decades and been super popular among young men for generations.  It is the second highest selling novel of all time. The movies aren't what made LOTR popular.  Teenage boys will continue to read this book for generations.  There WILL always be a large demand for LOTR stuff...always...

• Like 2

I think we need to wait until LEGO is done making all of the LOTR and Hobbit sets before they really rise.  I completely missed the Harry Potter sets (wasn't interested in HP or really LEGO at the time) and now all I can find reasonably priced are a few later smaller sets.  I would love to get some, but the supply and demand is keeping me from buying.

LOTR should be interesting because the hype was about a decade ago.  It has about the same iconic nature as HP, but HP is more intriguing in my opinion.  I think it'll do about 50-75% as good as HP per similar set.

LOTR is a decades old franchise, but there hasn't really been a toy line that does it justice until now. When someone decides they want to show their love by displaying a nice model or toy, the Lego line is one of the top contenders. The same goes for Harry Potter. These two themes are going to be hunted in attics for decades to come.

• Like 1

I think the LOTR/Hobbit line will do very well.

Don't forget, there are still 2 more Hobbit movies coming out over the next couple years. That's going to bring new fans who want to pick up the sets that they missed out on.

LOTR fans are in general at least a generation older than HP fans, so they have a lot more disposable income to throw at these sets.

Here is my thought on how the Helm's Deep will do a year or two down the road, and if you got your's pretty cheap say $80-100 well that makes it better, And it looks like alot of us has gotten some cheaper than that, but since you can still get them pretty cheap making seems like next year and beyond they should do very well, so get them while you can, But most likely there will be people who will miss the boat on these to.So for me to have 58 of these I am 100% confident these will make me some good money. Ed

ou1ldx.jpg

• Like 3

One word of caution is that Amazon is still showing tons in stock, so it may be awhile before their stock is gone and they're selling for $111, $19 under retail. 

I agree, though - Helm's Deep hasn't performed as I expected so far.  There's a ways to go yet before it's considered a dud though.

No disrespect towards a moderator :sweat:  But its kind of difficult to say how a set has performed if its only been retired for less than 24 hours. If its still under MSRP a year from now i would say its a under performer but right now the sky is the limit.

Here is my thought on how the Helm's Deep will do a year or two down the road, and if you got your's pretty cheap say $80-100 well that makes it better, And it looks like alot of us has gotten some cheaper than that, but since you can still get them pretty cheap making seems like next year and beyond they should do very well, so get them while you can, But most likely there will be people who will miss the boat on these to.So for me to have 58 of these I am 100% confident these will make me some good money. Ed

ou1ldx.jpg

Great pic!  Do you store them ready to ship (so one per box with bubble wrap or air packets)?  I find myself often stuffing several sets into the huge boxes I'll sometimes get from Target or Amazon (to save space in storage), but realize it's a pain to unpack and repack separately to ship a set.  I may need to re-think my whole storage strategy...oh boy.  Although if you plan on selling any in combo with 9471, you may need a bigger box...

ou1ldx.jpg

Man. That is a lot of HD. How much room do all those sets take up?