Expensive item sold to buyer with 1 feedback

leaningjowler

Hello,

I recently sold an item and my buyer has 1 feedback (positive) but nothing else. The one item they bought was 20-30 dollars from a seller 20 minutes away. I am concerned about shipping to them (don't want to be out 400.00). I thought I had limitations on my auction to prevent low feedback buyers but no way to verify that now.

Is there any way to protect yourself if buyer claims:

1. You shipped something else?

2. Item not as described?

I would ship this insured with signature verification, any other tips would be appreciated.

Can I get out of this if I don't want to send the item?

Thanks

Ship it, and remember you need signature confirmation as well as delivery confirmation for items over $250.

Don't worry about it - I sell to tons of very low feedback buyers, they're almost always fine.

Don't bother video taping yourself doing anything - it sounds like a good idea, until you think it through and realize you could videotape yourself sending a diamond ring, then once the camera stops rolling unpack the diamond ring and send the guy a lump of coal. The video proves nothing.

You can't prevent low or zero feedback buyers purchasing from you on eBay, you can only prevent -2 feedback buyers (pretty useless since there's no more negative feedback for buyers), certain locations, people with a certain number of unpaid item strikes, etc.

There's a certain amount of risk doing business, online and off. You've already decided to take that risk when you list, now you follow the rules and protect yourself as best you can.

• Like 1

Frog, remember me whinging about the buyer who didn't pay? He never paid. He had 10 positive feedback and the item was $400. In the end I decided I'm glad for the chance to sell to a...more established ebayer. But if he had paid, I'd have been glad to have his business, too.

Regardless of any offered protection, selling on ebay is a nerve-racking experience. At least until you have experience. I'm waiting for my first major ebay fight to kick me in the balls so I can walk it off and get back to business.

I just hope it doesn't happen on a $400 sale.

You should be fine, just remember the signed confirmation and insurance as has been mentioned. Had two sales tonight myself to 0 feedback buyers of $249 and $349....I'd like to see some history there but it doesn't really matter, I'll take the sales!

Really, the only problems I've had so far (knock on wood) were last year during the Minecraft craze...I had a large number of chargebacks made from 0 feedback buyers, guessing stolen CC's or something like that. Or maybe people got upset with the size of the set...I never received bad feedback though for that, so I don't think that would be it. Regardless, each transaction was covered by Paypal after an investigation and once I submitted the tracking info for delivery on each one.

Good luck!

It is nerve-wracking at first, no question, and the rules have become very complicated for sellers so it's easy to screw up. All I can suggest is to read and re-read the selling rules, and it also helps to read the forums over there. They're full of whiny crazy people, but if you just lurk and read for a week or two in seller central, you'll see just about every problem a seller can run into and be able to pick and choose some good advice to prevent it happening to you! :-)

Guest TabbyBoy

With Xmas coming up, you're going to see more 0 feedback buyers as the global recession forces them to leave the high street behind thinking that eBay has better bargains.  The vast majority of those buyers have been fine for me.  Expensive items I sell to the UK only.

I get (0) feedback buyers bidding on my Monster High dolls all the time (these aren't super expensive items, though). So far no problems. They pay, I ship, and no complaints from them. Given that I'm still trying to build up my feedback score, I guess it works to both of our advantages. I just got a low feedback score buyer with a Russian Federation mailing address, which I'm nervous about. I ship the package out tomorrow. Fingers crossed... 

Anyway, let us know how your experience goes!

I get (0) feedback buyers bidding on my Monster High dolls all the time (these aren't super expensive items, though). So far no problems. They pay, I ship, and no complaints from them. Given that I'm still trying to build up my feedback score, I guess it works to both of our advantages. I just got a low feedback score buyer with a Russian Federation mailing address, which I'm nervous about. I ship the package out tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Anyway, let us know how your experience goes!

I have only had bad experiences with buying and selling stuff to Ukraine.

Sorry I don't consider 400 a trivial amount. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Everyone starts with low feedback so I don't see a need to overreact especially since this isn't a huge ticket item.  I thought I read somewhere priority mail includes 50 dollars worth of insurance these days through usps.  Could be wrong though.

I actually prefer the low feedback buyers. The high feedback buyers know how to game the system and are more of a risk IMO. Sadly you can do nothing to protect yourself against a SNAD case. If it happens just ask the buyer to reurn for a refund and hope he/she doesn't mail back an empty box or a completely different set. In the end just hope for the best. From time to time you will get scammed but that is the cost of doing business online.