Doctor Who

StompingFreak

Ok. I am well aware that character building own the rights to make doctor who toys. But, if your like me and own their sets, well, what can I say.... ..."There really naff"!. The bricks don't hold together very well(e.*** Tardis play set, move a figure, stuff falls apart). Can anyone tell me why character building got the Dr Who license? 

Also as this show is at it's 50th Anniversary(i've been a fan since 1973), with massive viewing figures, why hasn't Lego gone for this? 

Many fan have made great Doctor mini figures from current city(etc) parts. Tardis etc.

So my point is, would it have been so had for Lego to take on this franchise, or could they still take this from character building, and create some amazing sets?

Please discusses!

Stomping

post-27149-0-70393000-1381173971_thumb.j

post-27149-0-51446200-1381173980_thumb.j

post-27149-0-24260300-1381173999_thumb.j

post-27149-0-08333100-1381174009_thumb.j

As a gibbering, slavish Dr. Who fangirl, I, too, wish Lego had gotten the rights to it.

Bottom line, in most if not all cases, Lego's going to go after the rights on the stuff they think they can make the biggest fortune on, and the rights holders are going to go with whatever toy makers are offering them the biggest stack of cash.

I remain sad inside, however.  :cry:

• Like 1

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why Doctor Who sets aren't made by Lego.  Maybe if they made a movie featured in theatres would help.  I'm not sure if Lego has ever put out a set based on a television series that didn't stem off of a movie series ie Clone Wars.  I can't say I ever really enjoyed the show so I would personally pass.

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why Doctor Who sets aren't made by Lego.  Maybe if they made a movie featured in theatres would help.  I'm not sure if Lego has ever put out a set based on a television series that didn't stem off of a movie series ie Clone Wars.  I can't say I ever really enjoyed the show so I would personally pass.

Errr Daleks invasion earth. Dr Who and the Daleks. Both well regarded Who/Dalek films. Both made during the early Dalek mainia days. I admit the new Who isn't as scary/dark/well written (sorry Moffet, you know this to be ture). But its a iconic show, its ran longer than any other si-fi tv series(star gate only got to 10yrs before it was canned). I think Lego really missed out on a good thing here. Stomping 

I think the main reason was that DW was only popular in the UK and some commonwealth countries. Even after 2005 it took the BBC a while to cotton onto how popular it was outside of the UK. It wasn't until Matt Smith took over that they started to push in the USA and moved to their own channel and had this brilliant idea of not broadcasting it 2 weeks after the UK broadcast. USA DW fans now can go into stores and see DW merchandise being prominently displayed. Two years ago that was not the case.

DW is on the rise In the USA so there may be hope. It depends on how long the character license is for. Maybe the actor, who must not be named - spoilers, who will replace Matt Smith will one day have an official lego figure. :)

Ok. I am well aware that character building own the rights to make doctor who toys. But, if your like me and own their sets, well, what can I say.... ..."There really naff"!. The bricks don't hold together very well(e.*** Tardis play set, move a figure, stuff falls apart). Can anyone tell me why character building got the Dr Who license? 

Also as this show is at it's 50th Anniversary(i've been a fan since 1973), with massive viewing figures, why hasn't Lego gone for this? 

Many fan have made great Doctor mini figures from current city(etc) parts. Tardis etc.

So my point is, would it have been so had for Lego to take on this franchise, or could they still take this from character building, and create some amazing sets?

Please discusses!

Stomping

I wish lego had

I freakin' love Doctor Who! :yahoo: The series and character is one of those that even people who haven't watched know it by name (including the US). Hell, I knew about the series when I was a child. I'm not sure why Lego wouldn't have gone for it other than it would have to compete with the license of Star Wars which is just an intergalactic war zone. (Lord knows kids love all out war!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AnTi1X2QM

On a awesome somewhat related note, I just found this mock anime for Doctor Who. B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y

• Like 1

I would say they are two separate licences, they are only related by the fact they are both Sci-Fi (which in itself is debatable).

But the size of the DW fandom is small compared to the Star Wars or Harry Potter fandoms. Lego can produce 100s of sets on Star Wars, the range is sort of unending, especially now with the new movies coming up.

I'm not saying that to be down on DW, I am a fan and have been since 1985 but I do not think the market is large enough to make it worth their while. But if they did, I would buy every single set, as would a lot of other DW fans would would not normally buy lego.

That you-tube mashup of the theme tunes is great, I remember someone doing something similar on VHS in the 90's... those were the days. :)

I would say they are two separate licences, they are only related by the fact they are both Sci-Fi (which in itself is debatable).

But the size of the DW fandom is small compared to the Star Wars or Harry Potter fandoms. Lego can produce 100s of sets on Star Wars, the range is sort of unending, especially now with the new movies coming up.

I'm not saying that to be down on DW, I am a fan and have been since 1985 but I do not think the market is large enough to make it worth their while. But if they did, I would buy every single set, as would a lot of other DW fans would would not normally buy lego.

That you-tube mashup of the theme tunes is great, I remember someone doing something similar on VHS in the 90's... those were the days. :)

There are more Who fan, than harry pothead. But I think your missing the big picture. Classic/New series means 100's of set, Imagine tomb of the cybermen, Kaled bunker, Tardis control rooms, Unit HQ etc. I did hear that lego couldn't make the molds for cybermen, Daleks etc, Could be some thing in it. Stomping

There are more Who fan, than harry pothead. But I think your missing the big picture. Classic/New series means 100's of set, Imagine tomb of the cybermen, Kaled bunker, Tardis control rooms, Unit HQ etc. I did hear that lego couldn't make the molds for cybermen, Daleks etc, Could be some thing in it. Stomping

I would disagree, HP is a worldwide phenomenon whereas DW is not. I discovered podcasts in 2005 through HP and they were getting 100,000s of listeners per week. When I finally had the bright idea of typing the words Doctor Who into Itunes podcast section in 2008 to see what would happen. I thought there may be one or two DW podcasts. No, there are 100s but even the most popular only get a few 100 of regular listeners. Its a niche market. 

For this reason I doubt TLG would deem it a worthwhile franchise...yet. Of course if it continues to grow, particularly in the US they may see a viable business case for it. DW is approaching a critical phase with the announcement of the new Doctor. He is going to be completely different to Matt Smith in the way Matt Smith was not different to David Tennant. If that is not accepted by younger fans, particularly in the US the audience over there may fall. Its only around a million at the moment as BBC America is a premium cable channel.

Don't get me wrong, I think a Lego theme would be superb, a Lego version of Tomb of the Cybermen or the station from Trial of a Timelord would be brilliant, but who other than die hard fans (like me :) )would buy it?

Market size must be the case. I'm sure TLG are to blame as I know BBC are going all out on merch (I know a designer who's been working on their range for a while now) and would surely have snapped TLG 's hand off had they have offered!

I agree its market size. Have Lego ever released sets from a TV series? Not counting Ninjago and Chima where they themselves are creating the market.

haha, I recently watched a story with that set; Pyramids of Mars I think. It made me laugh when Sarah Jane ran up the steps, you can clearly hear the hollow plywood she was treading on :)

One good one to make would the original set from An Unearthly Child, the first set was a lot bigger than later ones and could be shot from further back. The even designed a ceiling piece. Come November we get to see it in colour for the first time when Mark Gatiss's story of Doctor Who is shown :)

I think the issue Doctor Who has in garnering Lego license is twofold: 1. It is not targeted to children, and Lego is a children's toy first and foremost. 2. While there is some presence in the US, it's not widely popular or known. HP has both of these bases covered. That's why Lego went after the license, and likely made a BOATLOAD of money on it. For those that say LOTR/Hobbit doesn't fit the first criteria, I remember The Hobbit being on my reading list some 20-25 years ago in middle school, and would assume many preteen to teenagers were exposed to the book/franchise through their school curriculum. Add to this the recent blockbuster movies, and you have a much more marketable license than the much less widely known (in the States of course) Doctor Who. Doctor Who may be a good inspiration for a CUUSOO set, although like someone said earlier in the thread, it would really benefit from an international blockbuster movie release (i.e. in the States) to gain the cultural traction needed to garner Lego licensing.

I think the issue Doctor Who has in garnering Lego license is twofold:

1. It is not targeted to children, and Lego is a children's toy first and foremost.

2. While there is some presence in the US, it's not widely popular or known.

HP has both of these bases covered. That's why Lego went after the license, and likely made a BOATLOAD of money on it.

For those that say LOTR/Hobbit doesn't fit the first criteria, I remember The Hobbit being on my reading list some 20-25 years ago in middle school, and would assume many preteen to teenagers were exposed to the book/franchise through their school curriculum. Add to this the recent blockbuster movies, and you have a much more marketable license than the much less widely known (in the States of course) Doctor Who.

Doctor Who may be a good inspiration for a CUUSOO set, although like someone said earlier in the thread, it would really benefit from an international blockbuster movie release (i.e. in the States) to gain the cultural traction needed to garner Lego licensing.

With the Hobbit, it reads like a children's book, but LOTR does not.

I disagree with point 1, it is marketed toward children, that was te original premise of the program back in 1963. But it also appeals to adults. Which puts it in exactly the same market as Star Wars. However point 2 is spot on, it does not have a large presence in the USA, but it is a growing presence. The bbc have been pushing it more in the USA since Matt Smith took over, now he is leaving it will be interesting how doctor number 12 is received. It's going to be a bit of a shock to the new who fans.

With the Hobbit, it reads like a children's book, but LOTR does not.

I disagree with point 1, it is marketed toward children, that was te original premise of the program back in 1963. But it also appeals to adults. Which puts it in exactly the same market as Star Wars. However point 2 is spot on, it does not have a large presence in the USA, but it is a growing presence. The bbc have been pushing it more in the USA since Matt Smith took over, now he is leaving it will be interesting how doctor number 12 is received. It's going to be a bit of a shock to the new who fans.

Fair enough, although I thought originally there were protests over Doctor Who beign too violent to be considered "family programming".  Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

That said, the LOTR/Hobbit point still stands - the Middle Earth franchise has become a part of worldwide pop culture, unlike Doctor Who.  LOTR/Hobbit's appeal has been augmented with four relatively recent motion pictures that have grossed billions of dollars, unlike Doctor Who. 

If Doctor Who wants to penetrate the US market, it will have to be broadcast on a different channel than BBC America.  Refresh it, make it edgy, and release it on broadcast network, and it could have a chance of hitting big and winning that Lego licensing deal.

Fair enough, although I thought originally there were protests over Doctor Who beign too violent to be considered "family programming".  Perhaps I'm wrong about that.

That said, the LOTR/Hobbit point still stands - the Middle Earth franchise has become a part of worldwide pop culture, unlike Doctor Who.  LOTR/Hobbit's appeal has been augmented with four relatively recent motion pictures that have grossed billions of dollars, unlike Doctor Who. 

If Doctor Who wants to penetrate the US market, it will have to be broadcast on a different channel than BBC America.  Refresh it, make it edgy, and release it on broadcast network, and it could have a chance of hitting big and winning that Lego licensing deal.

The Show has always been aimed at children. Which is why Mary Whitehouse, spent alot of the 70's/80's trying to get the show banned, as she deemed the show far too scary for children. Also USA loved the two Dr Who films. They were made by Hammer films. Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin from Star Wars) Played the Doctor. As for anonther channel showing Dr Who, The BBC are very clingy to the rights of thier shows. 

Doctor Who is the longest running Si-Fi show of all time(and space(lol)), It's been shown in more 75 countries(harry pothead 55). The Fan base age range is from 5yrs to 86yrs. As I said before, Lego may well have not been able to create the models for all the creatures involved in the show. Stomping

post-27149-0-62285000-1381501101_thumb.j

post-27149-0-34151200-1381501103.jpg

post-27149-0-18521900-1381501104_thumb.j

On a sad note, here is a semi custom minifigure of the amazingly beautiful Sarah Jane Smith

played by the late Elisabeth Sladen who passed away from cancer at the age of 65 in 2011.

goodbye_____my_sarah_jane_by_xenomurph-d

Rest in piece, you incredible woman.

You shall never be forgotten. :bye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycxBiGX8T64

Really nice, Ok, then, Indiana's body, Plain blue legs. Where's the head, hair from??? Stomping