21021 - Marina Bay Sands and 21057 - Singapore Architecture sets.

Noodlenut

Guest TabbyBoy

I have no issues with anyone that doesn't want to invest in Architecture, just make sure you do it with your eyes wide open.

John Hancock - selling 3-4x over retail

Sungnyemun - selling 2x over retail

That's all that has retired so far. Pretty nice returns for two sets I wouldn't consider "iconic".

Hmm.. I've actually drank margueritas on the 95th floor of JH.  You've now got me thinking, could the currently discounted Empire State Building be worth a punt?  I actually liked Sungnyemun as I've been to Seoul too a few times but, it's never been sold in the UK to the best of my knowledge.

Guest TabbyBoy

Since this looks like the roman numeral 3, are they going to do the other roman numerals? :blink:

I'll give them a Roman 5 (V) - two fingers! ;-)

Hmm.. I've actually drank margueritas on the 95th floor of JH.  You've now got me thinking, could the currently discounted Empire State Building be worth a punt?  I actually liked Sungnyemun as I've been to Seoul too a few times but, it's never been sold in the UK to the best of my knowledge.

The Signature Room is a great place to have drinks, and it happens to be where I proposed to my wife.  There is no correlation between the drinks I consumed and my marriage proposal...

The Empire State Building could definitely be worth a shot, although it's been out a while (since 2009 in the US).  I love the design of it.

@Quacs... You know I'm going to get my wallet out again now, don't you? ;-)

I know, right?  I've fallen hard for the Architecture line (as a hobby investor).  I think your best bets right now are Fallingwater and Imperial Hotel.  Both are Frank Lloyd Wright, and architecture buffs love FLW.  Robie is also FLW, but I'm a little concerned that it's not iconic, and MSRP is really expensive.  That said, I LOVE the actual Robie House (I've been on a tour), have one set and am looking for another 1-2 if I can find them at good discounts. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I also have White House, Fallingwater, Sungnyemun, Brandenburg Gate, and Willis Tower so I have a rooting interest in the line.  Most of these were purchased because I found them at >30% discounts and because the line appeals to AFOLs and architecture enthusiasts, both of whom typically have disposable income.

My main hesitation with the Architecture line is that the sets tend to last at retail >= 3 years.  Fallingwater falls into this category which could give some pause, but I like this set and think it will still do well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

I'll give them a Roman 5 (V) - two fingers! ;-)

I second that v for victory  

edit: just saw the date of the quote  It was a joke I'm pretty sure you ment the two finger version of our "you're # one" hand gesture 

are the parts in architecture sets unique? 

Maybe some colors in some sets, but basically they are small tiles, 1x1, 1x2, 1x3 and some small bricks.

Did you see the 2012 Employee's Gift set Ole Kirk's House? I was about to buy one of those around September but had my money on the Crawler.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live in Hong Kong and I bought 2 sets from a local dealer for around HKD 390 last week, which is around USD50.

Just wonder what is the official price for this one.... Anyone knows ?

Judging on the piece count, I would have to guess that the MSRP of the set is about $60 - $70 USD. That is just a guess. I have no clue what the official MSRP of the set is.

• 1 month later...