Bioshock Infinite install help

stackables

Thought I would try the board with a problem I am having with the new Bioshock game.  I finally got around to getting this game and installed it.  The game require steam so I had to go through the process of installing that too.  Long story short, I go to run the game, the intro boots up with the 2k logo and just freezes.  It runs for about 3 seconds before the game just stops.  I get no errors just a frozen screen.  My specs for my pc (which I upgraded to play this game) are:

amd hd 7800

i5-3750

16gb ram

win7 64 bit

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about trouble shooting this?  I am going to update my latest graphics card driver but that most likely will not work.  Any help would be appreciated.  I know we have some gamers here :)

I will give that a try...thanks

Going to play some GTA V for a few, I'll check back but hopefully it works!

If it doesn't, right click the game in your library and hit launch options and set the game to launch in windowed mode (-windowed). This will probably give you terrible FPS performance but the game SHOULD function enough so you can play it.

The shortcut to launch the game is basically a url not an executable.  I have never used steam.  Is that common?  Not sure how to open the game in window mode if there is no executable.  I think I should have bought this for my ps3 :(

Don't try to edit the shortcut. Open steam and click open the LIBRARY tab at the top and you should see a list of games on your left side in a column. Right click on Bioshock and open properties. Then you should see a box that says LAUNCH OPTIONS, open it and input -windowed and then try loading it.

Steam always needs to be connected to the internet, but your problem is with the file structure. Did you try adding that file structure to My Documents? If you do that and then launch the game from within Steam, I'd bet that would fix the loading screen freeze.

• Like 1

Don't try to edit the shortcut. Open steam and click open the LIBRARY tab at the top and you should see a list of games on your left side in a column. Right click on Bioshock and open properties. Then you should see a box that says LAUNCH OPTIONS, open it and input -windowed and then try loading it.

Steam always needs to be connected to the internet, but your problem is with the file structure. Did you try adding that file structure to My Documents? If you do that and then launch the game from within Steam, I'd bet that would fix the loading screen freeze.

I tried the properties thing and still crashes.  I also added all those folder into my documents, still no luck.

Update all your drivers!  I had the problem with Skyrim on Steam, and after updating every driver I could think of, it ran fine.  Took a week to figure out which one it was.  I have a laptop gaming machine and it has 2 video cards.  It has an Intel one that I do not use for gaming (you can choose which one for which application) so I didn't bother to upgrade it.  After reading that the NVidia card I have runs through the Intel card, I gave it a shot, and that did the trick.  Anyway, it could be your sound card, video card, maybe even a usb driver that is causing a problem.

• Like 1

Update all your drivers!  I had the problem with Skyrim on Steam, and after updating every driver I could think of, it ran fine.  Took a week to figure out which one it was.  I have a laptop gaming machine and it has 2 video cards.  It has an Intel one that I do not use for gaming (you can choose which one for which application) so I didn't bother to upgrade it.  After reading that the NVidia card I have runs through the Intel card, I gave it a shot, and that did the trick.  Anyway, it could be your sound card, video card, maybe even a usb driver that is causing a problem.

It's not an exclusive problem to him... I just quickly searched for Bioshock Infinite freezing/crashing errors on Steam and there are literally thousands of posts about this issue with 2K in varying degrees.

If the new folder structure didn't work... close out Steam completely and update EVERYTHING.

EDIT - Running out of ideas but try this:

• Go to the Library, select
Edited by boxofcorey
  • Like 1

Can you post screenshots? I will try to look at this more tomorrow - I like troubleshooting, what I do everyday at work!

I seem to remember having a similar problem with ARMA 2 and I had to figure out this weird way to install and launch the game manual outside of steam because it was causing a problem. I probably saved the link so I will look that up.

Can you post screenshots? I will try to look at this more tomorrow - I like troubleshooting, what I do everyday at work!

I seem to remember having a similar problem with ARMA 2 and I had to figure out this weird way to install and launch the game manual outside of steam because it was causing a problem. I probably saved the link so I will look that up.

The only thing it does is freeze on the initial boot up.  Video just stops during the 2k logo intro.  I then have to alt ctrl del to get back to my desktop.  There is just says "bioshock infinite has stopped working". No error code or anything. I contacted 2k forums for help.  They requested my DxDiag and msinfo32.  Maybe they can help.  Honestly, I don't game much on my pc like I use to.  Last time I think I played a real game on my pc was bioshock 2.  So maybe something isn't up to date.

The only thing it does is freeze on the initial boot up.  Video just stops during the 2k logo intro.  I then have to alt ctrl del to get back to my desktop.  There is just says "bioshock infinite has stopped working". No error code or anything. I contacted 2k forums for help.  They requested my DxDiag and msinfo32.  Maybe they can help.  Honestly, I don't game much on my pc like I use to.  Last time I think I played a real game on my pc was bioshock 2.  So maybe something isn't up to date.

Your using Windows I assume? See if there is an update for Directx - its one of the first things that initializes when a game starts usually (at least in a lot of games). Just being a version off can kill the video. Normally it checks itself when you install a game, but sometimes through steam a lot of the install process is taken out.

Check this out:

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?220551-Bioshock-Infinite-keeps-freezing-after-4-5-minutes-of-gameplay/page5&s=977b09e3a4d7cd7b4523a134969adc5e

Looks like a lot of people said it was their ethernet card causing an issue. CHeck it out.

Tried disabling whatever network adapters I have on my pc but that didn't help.  Seems like a lot of the users in that thread actually can play the game before it crashes.  I cannot get passed the 2k logo intro.  I wonder if steam and the game have to be installed on the same drive.  I installed steam on my "C" and the game on a separate drive.  Unfortunately, I do not have enough space on my "C" drive to install the game.

Tried disabling whatever network adapters I have on my pc but that didn't help.  Seems like a lot of the users in that thread actually can play the game before it crashes.  I cannot get passed the 2k logo intro.  I wonder if steam and the game have to be installed on the same drive.  I installed steam on my "C" and the game on a separate drive.  Unfortunately, I do not have enough space on my "C" drive to install the game.

I think so. :/