Returning a gift to a Lego store

Sauromosis

From LEGO.com:

Knowledge Base  

Help Topics > Online Shopping > Returns/Refunds/Exchanges > Can I return a set I bought somewhere other than a LEGO Store or LEGO Shop?

Please return your set to the retailer where it was purchased. Should you need additional assistance, please contact

Rating: rating0.gif ( 53 Votes)

That's not to say your experience won't be different with kindness and honesty towards your local store.  It doesn't hurt to ask anyway, I mean, the worst they can say is no.

I don't think his question was whether or not it's possible - because a decent amount of people here have proved it is. There might, however, be a limit on how many returns you can do with no receipt.

Whether it's right or not, I think you're good. There have been people buying clearance sets at Target, etc. and returning them for full value store credit at LEGO... and that, at least to me, is way too far on the other side of the karma line for my taste.

Is it considered "wrong" to return a sealed set to a Lego store for store credit if you tell the employee up front "I'm not sure if this was purchased here but it was a gift and I'd like a different set."?

Do you have knowledge that it was NOT purchased there?

If I didn't know where they bought it, I would have no problem returning it there. If I knew they purchased it somewhere else, I'd return it where they purchased it. If that wasn't possible (a small toy store out of state, whatever), I'd sell it on eBay or part it out.