I hate it when I know I have something and can't find it!!!

exciter1

Do you guys ever know you have something, but when you look for it you can't find it?  I know pretty much everyone has experienced this.

I'm starting to sift through inventory for listing stuff this holiday season.  I've went through what I thought was my entire inventory 3 times and I can't find a Ninjago Destiny's Bounty that I know I have somewhere.  I've searched for it for over 2 hours and my searching has pretty much negated any profit that I'll ever see even if I do find it.

I have a bad habit of putting stuff in boxes and totes and I have to open all of them when searching.  Oh well, it will be a nice surprise maybe someday in the future.

Do you guys ever know you have something, but when you look for it you can't find it?  I know pretty much everyone has experienced this.

I'm starting to sift through inventory for listing stuff this holiday season.  I've went through what I thought was my entire inventory 3 times and I can't find a Ninjago Destiny's Bounty that I know I have somewhere.  I've searched for it for over 2 hours and my searching has pretty much negated any profit that I'll ever see even if I do find it.

I have a bad habit of putting stuff in boxes and totes and I have to open all of them when searching.  Oh well, it will be a nice surprise maybe someday in the future.

That's rough...why don't you just list the Destiny's Bounty for sale, then when someone buys it send them a confirmation telling them that you have shipped their Ultra Sonic Raider?

• Like 4

I did this once - then remembered I'd already sold it a few months before.

Also, found a set I forgot I'd bought, which was nice too lol.

I store my inventory in brown cardboard boxes that I number and label on the front. The boxes then all go onto pallets in my basement. I keep a spreadsheet listing every box in order and their respective contents. I also stack them a certain way on the pallets so i can locate a certain numbered box easily. Organization is key! I am sure your set will turn up, and if it takes 2-3 years to do so then it will be worth that much more than if you sold it this Christmas season! Happy hunting!

p.s. have you checked the ceiling tiles?

Just go ahead and sell it and then send them a different Ninjaco set :) #KmartProblems

Seriously though, I know how you feel. I do this quite a bit because I pack all my stuff in a tight area. Sometimes its right in front of my face but I just cant see it.

Do you guys ever know you have something, but when you look for it you can't find it?

*sigh* Yes. A billion times, yes. Heck, right now I've been trying to find a couple of dvd series' I know I bought but can't find the blasted things! Darn those house gremlins always hiding my stuff just to piss me off and make me think I'm crazy.... :ireful: Oh wait, I know who it is. It's those damn underpants gnomes! They've changed their business strategy! :frantics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

OK, yes, I need to get more organized.  I just need to make room in my basement to organize.  I've kind of been sticking boxes and shelves where I can right now.  I plan to finish the basement sometime soon, so I've talked myself out of being organized for now.

I found the other Destiny's Bounty.  The only reason I found it is because I couldn't find something else I knew I just saw the other day.  I started going through boxes again and decided to look over by my shelves with the holiday sales inventory.  Low and behold, I already moved a box over there with stuff in it I planned to sell.  I took off the top couple layers of sets and there it was, on the bottom.  Suckered again...

I'm in a little more disarray as well, since I've been downsizing my Star Wars collection at the same time.  I have several stacks of boxes I've been selling from and it makes it worse.

That happens a lot when I am trying to find pieces to a set. I know that I have seen the before, them when I go to look for that certain rare piece, I can never find it. I eventually find the piece after searching for about two hours.

I usually find it after I sell the set incomplete :(

• Like 1

I usually find it after I sell the set incomplete :(

This happens to me too. Except I always sell a incomplete set right before I buy another used lot that has the one really random-exclusive-to-that-one-set piece that I needed but not the rest of the set. I'm not sure how that works.

This happens to me too. Except I always sell a incomplete set right before I buy another used lot that has the one really random-exclusive-to-that-one-set piece that I needed but not the rest of the set. I'm not sure how that works.

That really stinks. I usually just go through a small pile of pieces at a time until I find the piece I am looking for.

Ah-ha! I had a cunning plan to get around that. Keep a "small" pile in stock.

Now I have 6kg "in stock" ....... And I still can't find the pieces I want :(

I don't have it happen much anymore, because when you get to a higher volume of inventory (we have 4000+ eBay listings and a growing Bricklink inventory sitting right now at 22K) you've got to be organized or go to the nuthouse, there is no middle ground.

Now, our personal possessions are a bit higgledy piggledy after our move, but my storage unit full of inventory is beautifully and meticulously organized!

• Like 1

You guys are complaining that your inventory is so large you can't find things in it? LOL. Our first world problems :D

Yes I am complaining. I have about 20lbs in spare pieces in different containers and it is a pain to find one single piece that I NEED to complete a certain set I am building.

Guest eightbrick

Yes I am complaining. I have about 20lbs in spare pieces in different containers and it is a pain to find one single piece that I NEED to complete a certain set I am building.

Have you started sorting? I'd say sort by piece type first for a lot that size.

Have you started sorting? I'd say sort by piece type first for a lot that size.

Yup I have sorted by size, type and condition and I still have trouble. I thought it might become simpler when I did that.

Also I value my "stock" by weight. I think maybe half the weight is from old instruction manuals and catalogs from the 80's & 90's. Are these worth anything? Anyone tried selling these?

Guest eightbrick

Omg that set is adorable! When/where did it come out? I assume it was from mcd's?

According to Brickset it is set 3438 McDonalads Restaurant, and it was a 1999 Lego Exclusive US only (MSRP $10). The year explains the juniorized building techniques, and it sort of makes sense that it was not an Happy Meal giveaway because it looks way to large for that. As you said, a cute little set, although if they pulled that stunt today it would stir up all kinds of controversy.  :rolleyes: 

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=3438-1