Gotta Love eBay Messages

justafrog

I get a variety of these a few times each month, here's today's: 

I am wondering why this one paperback book is costing 24.75. There must be a mistake. If not, good luck on somebody actually buying it.

Just wondering, Thanks

What I would have liked to respond:

Dear Time-Wasting Oxygen-Wasting Numbskull - Not everything remains at its original retail price forever. Some things actually go up in value! You might find this to be true of... wait... yes, everything you ever buy. Jump in a lake.

My actual response: 

Thank you for your interest in our pricing. Many books, like other collectibles, actually have the ability to increase in value over time, depending on their availability, printing status, edition, cover art, condition, location, and many other factors.

The book in question, a relatively scarce first printing with desirable cover art from a famous author back before she was famous, of which there are only four copies on eBay. Now, mine's the highest priced by $5, but that's because I'm awesome and I'll get that. :queen: 

• Like 3

Do you have any 1st or signed editions by D. Adams, Palahniuk, ****, Vonnegut, Bukowski? You could pm me a link to your ebay store if you like.

None of the above, unfortunately. D. Adams being Douglas Adams? (Still no, but just curious.)

I'll be advertising the heck out of my store once we get our Classifieds!

Edited to add: I was wondering what terrible word the censors got you for.  :rofl:  And to think of all the great stuff PKD wrote about technology!

I get a variety of these a few times each month, here's today's: 

I am wondering why this one paperback book is costing 24.75. There must be a mistake. If not, good luck on somebody actually buying it.

Just wondering, Thanks

I get this type of "why is this item priced at this price" message too often.

Consumer: "Y dis item priced $20 moar than it is at x.com?  is it special somehow?"

Seller: "Yep. It's special because I licked it."

• Like 2

Now, not in their defense at all, I do this - but I just troll people who list stuff at stupid outrageous prices. Here are some of my favorites:

-Death Star 10188 listed for $1200 and as "retired".

My message: "Hello, I am not interested in your Death Star, but I was wondering if you were going to list your time machine. I assume you posted this from 2035 since the Death Star is finally retired."

- Jabba's Palace listed for $300 - listed as "retired and discontinued due to controversy"

Mr message: " I just wanted you to know, since you have been living in a cave for the past for the past 5 months, that this set never was discontinued and is still available for around $90. Also some other things you missed: Roger Ebert and JJ Cale are dead, Michael Moore still isn't, a new batman movie come out, and the Death Star still isn't retired."

- Haunted House listed for $1500

My Message: "Excuse my ignorance, but when did they start making this set out of gold?"

• Like 1

I always like the lowball offers (mind you, never on the few items I have Best Offer enabled), that end: "I think that's fair."

Really? You send me unsolicited offers (which is against eBay policy, by the way) and you think I care what you think is fair?

What I actually respond, "Thank you for the offer, but this is our best price at this time."

Ha ha...love it. You take it so well though. For the most part I am pretty much happy-go-lucky but when people insult my listings like that I take it personally. Someone offered me $7 for a Star Wars One Sheet with the "Revenge of the Jedi" banner on it. (It sells for about $50-100). They had a whole paragraph about how I was overpriced yadda yadda yadda... That guy made me SO MAD!!!! Not sure exactly why though :( On a side note...you guys ever click on the "Best of" tab on Craig's List? Absolute GOLD!!!!!!!

The ones that drive me nuts are the best offers on expensive items that are absolutely ridiculous and a waste of my time.

Like, I had a 7897 Passenger Train up last week. I had it priced at $200 which I know is high, but it was still the cheapest available. I had two different people offer me $5 and $1.

You're right, ebay buyer, I don't really want $200, I want $1. What was I thinking?

Guest TabbyBoy

If any cretin makes me an insulting offer, I don't bother replying and just add them to my blocked list. You just have to rise above it and not take it to heart. I also have a spare eBay account for trolling sellers which take the piss.

I have actually received negative feedback because someone bought a book, received it, and then noticed that they paid more than the publisher price (since it was an older book). Somehow that was MY fault. My basic response (after trying to play nice AND explaining the basic principle of supply and demand) was that if they could come across a first edition of Wuthering Heights, I would be happy to purchase it from them for the 10 cents it originally cost. Got no response to that one.

Had to share this message I got a couple weeks ago, interestingly enough this was for a book as well:

Hello, I am interested in this item, but I am unhappy at how the bidding situation seems to be happening; I started at $5.00 and then went up by a dollar, but seemed to be bidding against myself since the machine said that there was some sort of automatic bidding against my bids; If you want to sell this item to me I will pay you $15.00; please advise.

First I attempted to explain the ebay bidding process, and what the "machine" was trying to tell him.  Then I (in a kind way) explained that the bidding was currently at $22 and the book he was bidding on sold in the $40 - $50 range.  I believe this individual was older, so can't really hold anything against him, but still pretty funny, especially the part about the machine!! :D

also note his excellent use of the semi colon lol