eBay Refunded My Calculated Shipping Fee

elementalsobe

3 hours 17 minutes of peace from silly personal bullsh*t. It's easy to be on the outside of these things and call shenanigans, and I've had my share of BP scuffles...but seriously, emes and DNIIM are both respected members on these forums, so it makes me a bit befuddled when a professional discussion about shipping fees causes a rift in the community. I don't know where the moderators were today, but both of you should have been sent to timeout hours ago.

Sorry about that - never want to start anything inside a thread.

I always use BIN unless I can't seem to get someone to bite on something. I don't like taking a chance with an auction. Its nerveracking.

My general workflow is: post it for a little above the right price, after 7 days lower, after 7 more days lower.

If it still wont go after that, I will push it to an auction format. I have only ever had to push a few to auction, and those were lesser wanted minifigures. BIN is great because you can just straight up know what you will make.

I'm a formerly auction, but now BIN convert.  The thrill of the auction and my inexperience (only been doing this since February) made it seem like a good choice.  Then I started extensively researching sold listings for all of the stuff I sell and realized that the BIN people sell their stuff (and ACTUALLY sell, not just list) for a significantly higher price.  Might take longer than a week, although lots of stuff I list sells within a day or two making it a shorter time!  Whichever you choose though, I'm not so sure that free shipping combined with auction format are the best formula (unless you're the buyer :)

Hmm I might have to try the BIN thing should I get another set that I think is worth over

DNIM, I was somewhat polite with you in my comments on this article that you posted: http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-283-a-guide-to-shipping-carriers-its-a-drag-but-you-gotta-do-it/?st=20#commentsStart

Let me say it this way, you're not looking at the full picture. I really think you need to revisit what you're doing/talking about, especially when you post an article that people who don't know better read as definitive. 

For those of you like the above who did not understand my shipping article - I think I didn't do well explaining why I used the values I did and what the article was about. it was very conservative and wasn't supposed to be an all out guide on shipping. Maybe I underestimated how many people would read it and what conclusions it would get. It was really supposed to just show who to use in what situation. I did not get very granular because the article was not about exact prices you will pay. it was about what carrier to choose based on the situation.

I have added a comment that explains my methods a bit more. If there is an actual error with what I posted - anyone please feel free to point it out. I am sure i can figure out a way to fix it. For those of you who feel I should rewrite the article with a different philosophy, I encourage you to write a counter article instead. I felt I proved my one point - USPS until a certain point and then FEDEX is the best way to go. If you don't agree, write a blog about it and I would be happy to see the counterpoints.

Final disclaimer again - not ever meant to be a all knowing everyday guide on shipping. I am not even close to perfect and I think in the future I will better explain why I do what I do so other members wont feel they need to publicly tell me I need to update things without at least asking why I did what I did or saying values were "way off" when they don't actually understand what is going on themselves.

For all of you out there who enjoy my articles, I appreciate it and I encourage you to write them as well.

So to give a good example of what I was talking about with Free shipping and how it is not always an easy option to use or the best one:

I had a MF set (the scientist) without minifigs I picked up at an outlet store. It had been opened - I took a chance and got it pretty cheap - $10.

Minifigs were gone, which I expected, but i was hoping the rest of the set was there. Unfortunately it was missing just a few other pieces.

So I decided to try and at least get my money back out of it. Now, on Ebay a set without minifigs goes for about $20 or lower including shipping. So I am looking at trying to sell my set for somewhere in the range of 15-17 dollars.

Now, the set without minifigs is 2 lbs. USPS, to the farthest location it can go in the US (california) is 9.88. To the couple of local zones near here, it is just over 5. So there is a big difference in selling this set for $20 which would include the highest shipping price to get my money back (no one will buy it missing pieces) and selling it for $13 + shipping (local buyer will grab it most likely and I get my money back).

Since its no money, I tried the free shipping experience. Never sold at $20. Eventually i lowered it to $17 and it finally sold after a week at that price... to someone in Nevada - $9 shipping. So I lost money.

This is a small example, but don't just assume Free shipping is always the way to go. Bigger items, definitely helps. But smaller with smaller margins, it is a tougher decision.

So to give a good example of what I was talking about with Free shipping and how it is not always an easy option to use or the best one:

I had a MF set (the scientist) without minifigs I picked up at an outlet store. It had been opened - I took a chance and got it pretty cheap - $10.

Minifigs were gone, which I expected, but i was hoping the rest of the set was there. Unfortunately it was missing just a few other pieces.

So I decided to try and at least get my money back out of it. Now, on Ebay a set without minifigs goes for about $20 or lower including shipping. So I am looking at trying to sell my set for somewhere in the range of 15-17 dollars.

Now, the set without minifigs is 2 lbs. USPS, to the farthest location it can go in the US (california) is 9.88. To the couple of local zones near here, it is just over 5. So there is a big difference in selling this set for $20 which would include the highest shipping price to get my money back (no one will buy it missing pieces) and selling it for $13 + shipping (local buyer will grab it most likely and I get my money back).

Since its no money, I tried the free shipping experience. Never sold at $20. Eventually i lowered it to $17 and it finally sold after a week at that price... to someone in Nevada - $9 shipping. So I lost money.

This is a small example, but don't just assume Free shipping is always the way to go. Bigger items, definitely helps. But smaller with smaller margins, it is a tougher decision.

I agree, most of my items are small so I charge postage which is usually average compared to other sellers for those type items.

But it annoys me when people list really expensive items for say 999, then add 30 for postage. Surely at that price point postage should be enclosed. If I ever sold a MF it would be with free postage. Because postage would be a small percentage of the total price.