eBay Refunded My Calculated Shipping Fee

elementalsobe

So I say this - Why don't you actually contribute something to the site rather than just criticizing others. I have written almost 50 articles, and have barely gotten a complaint from anyone else.

You are one level above a troll.

You definitely read way more emotion into my comments than is actually there. I think it's part of the weakness of using a forum for communication.

I think many here will disagree with you about my contribution. I've had plenty of good private discussions with people here, and I think I've generally provided useful things in public threads. None of us are perfect though, and I'm sure we all get a little off track sometimes.

Quantity does not equal quality. While I think there have been some useful things in many of your articles and comments, there's an overwhelming amount of nonsense at times. If you continue to pile up crap until you get a bigger pile of crap, you never get a better pile of crap. You really just get a larger pile of crap.

IMO, your nonsense has run off a few good people from the forums. You're right, they don't voice their concerns. They just leave, and when they leave they take useful knowledge with them. I'm talking specifically about Pickleboy, who I think bailed after he disagreed with your self-appointment as an eBay vigilante, and I'm certain you're one of the reasons that we don't see LFoW here as much. I think you were way on the wrong side of that whole recent disagreement you had with ExoBro too...

It seems like you have a problem with people being willing to stand up to you. People pointing out errors aren't always trying to slam you. Particularly in your shipping article it is critical that it be 100% accurate. That is the type of article that will draw a lot of people to the site, and a lot of new people will read when they begin selling and shipping things. You're simply not qualified to write such an article, as is clear from what you wrote there, as well as some of your comments in this thread.

None of this means that I think you're stupid, and you can't learn how to be a pro at shipping. I'm certain you can, but first you'll need to listen to others who have lots of experience with this and at times offer constructive criticism.

You're incredibly unprofessional, you're talking about lots of things that you don't understand in a definitive way, which is the worst kind of ignorance.

If Emes actually did contribute to the site, he would know that editing a blog once it has been published is also impossible. So I didn't have a choice in the matter in the first place.

I have considered writing articles for the site, however, there's one issue that always keeps me from doing it. I have a blog that one of my customers pays me to write, so I tend to associate writing with generating money. So if the Mack's would like to match that then I'll gladly write things for them, but I doubt it. (Macks, I'll even show you the contract or a link to the site so that everyone knows that I'm not bs-ing if there's any interest, I'm not interested in posting it for public consumption).

I don't really see how it would be impossible to update...you're right, I don't know anything about how the Macks have setup the technical underpinnings of the site, but I'm assuming that there's a content management system in there somewhere, which should make it fairly easy to update a blog.

Also, AFAIK, membership on this site does not require writing blogs. I'll keep my participation to the forums and PMs.

Once I started offering free shipping and adding the cost of shipping into the price my sales went up 10 fold.  Funny thing is that I make more money by doing it this way than charging for shipping.  On EBAY many people ding you on your DSR if you charge, what they believe, is too much for shipping even when you may LOSE money when actual shipping costs more.  Its a crazy crazy world.

• Like 1

I guess one problem I have with offering Free Shipping is trying to figure out how much extra I should factor into the base price. EBay does have a very handy calculator, but the range is fairly large in some cases, which can be confusing.

When you guys offer free shipping, do you add to the base price an amount on the high end, low end, or average of what eBay estimates the shipping cost to be?

I think this is largely a good discussion, and there's one thing I'd like to ask of Frog, and others who do PAB.

My wife and I have been looking at PAB because the returns appear to be outrageous. During our research we found that everyone selling parts is listing shipping separate. If we start this we'll do it on one of our secondary eBay id's to see how it goes.

Is this something unique to selling parts? Have any of you tried including shipping in this type of listing? Although I tend towards "free shipping" on everything, I'm flexible enough to do the right thing to match what an individual market wants. I also noticed that those charging separately for shipping are charging way over what it *should* cost to ship things that small.

Thoughts?

I guess one problem I have with offering Free Shipping is trying to figure out how much extra I should factor into the base price. EBay does have a very handy calculator, but the range is fairly large in some cases, which can be confusing.

When you guys offer free shipping, do you add to the base price an amount on the high end, low end, or average of what eBay estimates the shipping cost to be?

If it's 13 oz. or less it's will be the same (I mean it will not differ by zip code, it will differ by weight, see the table below) no matter where it is going domestically, assuming you are using USPS First Class. This is one of the things that I think is getting missed in all of the controversy. Also, I don't do this, but someone once told me that if you take the item to the PO and pay in person that you can ship up to 1 lb. via USPS First Class, and USPS rules and regulations seem to support that.

Anything between 13 oz. and about 3 lbs. we usually ship via USPS Priority Mail domestically. We always just build the estimate on the weight of the item and pick a really far away zip code. We then build that high amount into our calculation of the listing price. We also rarely use the USPS Priority Flat Rate. It just rarely works for us in terms of size of the item coupled with what you pay to ship it.

Anything over 3lbs. domestically we typically send via FedEx. Sometimes between 2 lbs. and 3 lbs. can go USPS or FedeX, but usually I've worked in the higher price into my listing.

USPS Current First Class Table (source, USPS website):

Weight in Oz. Cost 1 $1.69 2 $1.69 3 $1.69 4 $1.86 5 $2.04 6 $2.21 7 $2.39 8 $2.55 9 $2.73 10 $2.90 11 $3.08 12 $3.23 13 $3.38

(Well that's weird, the table showed in the editor, but looked like above when posted. Here's the link with the downloadable pricing file: https://www.usps.com/business/first-class-package-service.htm? )

You definitely read way more emotion into my comments than is actually there. I think it's part of the weakness of using a forum for communication.

I think many here will disagree with you about my contribution. I've had plenty of good private discussions with people here, and I think I've generally provided useful things in public threads. None of us are perfect though, and I'm sure we all get a little off track sometimes.

Quantity does not equal quality. While I think there have been some useful things in many of your articles and comments, there's an overwhelming amount of nonsense at times. If you continue to pile up crap until you get a bigger pile of crap, you never get a better pile of crap. You really just get a larger pile of crap.

IMO, your nonsense has run off a few good people from the forums. You're right, they don't voice their concerns. They just leave, and when they leave they take useful knowledge with them. I'm talking specifically about Pickleboy, who I think bailed after he disagreed with your self-appointment as an eBay vigilante, and I'm certain you're one of the reasons that we don't see LFoW here as much. I think you were way on the wrong side of that whole recent disagreement you had with ExoBro too...

It seems like you have a problem with people being willing to stand up to you. People pointing out errors aren't always trying to slam you. Particularly in your shipping article it is critical that it be 100% accurate. That is the type of article that will draw a lot of people to the site, and a lot of new people will read when they begin selling and shipping things. You're simply not qualified to write such an article, as is clear from what you wrote there, as well as some of your comments in this thread.

None of this means that I think you're stupid, and you can't learn how to be a pro at shipping. I'm certain you can, but first you'll need to listen to others who have lots of experience with this and at times offer constructive criticism.

You're incredibly unprofessional, you're talking about lots of things that you don't understand in a definitive way, which is the worst kind of ignorance.

Again you are referencing errors - everything in that article was 100% true. So you are going to have to be more specific.

Pickleboy actually got in trouble for trolling the thread. He was out of line, not me. As referenced by the mods calling him out. I have never been warned for anything.

Why would anything I have done run anyone off this site. I only aim to help people, not belittle them to boost my own self confidence.

I did find out though, you don't know everything. Because you say I am "incredibly unprofessional". I don't get paid to write here. I get some compensation in brick points to write the articles which is why I am very professional in them. So I don't have to be "professional" because this isn't a profession.

In my actual job where I guarantee you I am much more successful than you at only 26 years old (Not because I am smart, because I am not really - just work 20 times harder than anyone else) I am extremely well respected because I have redefined my position as a network engineer. That is my real profession and I am very professional there.

Its unbelievable how narcissistic you are. You think anyone would pay you to write for this site? I could turn on Fox news if we wanted to hear someone spewing egotistical crap all day. No one needs to be paid for it.

I have no problem with people questioning me, it seems to be you that does. If you actually read the scams thread, I disagreed with Pickleboy and he continued to pester me. I ignored him. I actually have to capacity to admit when I am wrong, which you don't. I know your type - you have never said sorry or admitted you were wrong in any facet of life. Search through my posts - many times I have told people that they made good points and I agreed with them after listening. 

By the way, only doing something if you get something in return makes you selfish and conceited. So by not writing or contributing, you are in fact proving one of my points. Thanks for that.

Anyway, I am putting you on ignore because I think if I hear anymore of your conceited garbage I am going to puke. You have made it clear your time is much more valuable than anyone elses, so don't bother responding because I wont see it.

• Like 1

way to go DNIIM!!! He is very full of himself and considers himself the king of ebay selling, which he's not. I can show you the stuff he sells and if you want and I think you'll agree he's not the king he thinks he is nor as helpful as he thinks he is. Which is what I was trying to point out several weeks ago when he and I got in a little spat that he does constantly try and belittle people thinking he is better then everyone else and gets in arguments a lot with others because of it. I'm with you so you're not alone! I felt like everyone ganged up on me when I had a disagreement with him. Like I said I can share his ebay ids with you if you'd like, I don't know why he's so secretive and protective when his sales are actually not impressive at all. Your articles are very informative and I look forward to them.

I think this is largely a good discussion, and there's one thing I'd like to ask of Frog, and others who do PAB.

My wife and I have been looking at PAB because the returns appear to be outrageous. During our research we found that everyone selling parts is listing shipping separate. If we start this we'll do it on one of our secondary eBay id's to see how it goes.

Is this something unique to selling parts? Have any of you tried including shipping in this type of listing? Although I tend towards "free shipping" on everything, I'm flexible enough to do the right thing to match what an individual market wants. I also noticed that those charging separately for shipping are charging way over what it *should* cost to ship things that small.

Thoughts?

On eBay, I offer "bulk" (40, 50, 100 are typical amounts) identical part or attractive combinations of parts listings and include free shipping.

This has worked splendidly for us so far, because even factoring in the fees people on eBay will pay a lot more for parts than people on Bricklink, eBay's search lends itself to not having to have the lowest price (Best Match figures in a lot more than price), and, best of all, these casual parts buyers often buy multiple lots, so the "free" (embedded) shipping makes a nice additional profit point.

I wouldn't personally want to sell single parts on eBay (outside of perhaps something very rare and desirable) because I'd have to go to calculated shipping (can't charge $3.00 for a single brick and "free" shipping even on eBay  :rofl:  ) so the non-bulk and non-minifigs go on Bricklink, where true to the culture of that site I charge exact postage.

Well, this all got very heated, I am not sure if I dare to ask a question :)

Are you all mainly selling items by auction or buy it now?

I always have sold via auction ( and almost always bought that way ), I recently sold a 6080. Seeing that this set had a recent auction range of

I used fixed price (buy it now) listings, I don't do auctions. This isn't to say I haven't used them or wouldn't again in specific situations, but overall I realize much higher prices and can keep my monthly cash flow exactly where I want it through fixed price listings.

(When I'm buying, however, I like auctions very much. I get some good stuff for bargain prices that way.)

Edited to add: when you do fixed price, you are determining the price and free shipping is no longer a scary idea, so if you end up discontinuing auctions, you might reconsider free shipping at that point.)

If it's 13 oz. or less it's will be the same (I mean it will not differ by zip code, it will differ by weight, see the table below) no matter where it is going domestically, assuming you are using USPS First Class. This is one of the things that I think is getting missed in all of the controversy. Also, I don't do this, but someone once told me that if you take the item to the PO and pay in person that you can ship up to 1 lb. via USPS First Class, and USPS rules and regulations seem to support that.

Anything between 13 oz. and about 3 lbs. we usually ship via USPS Priority Mail domestically. We always just build the estimate on the weight of the item and pick a really far away zip code. We then build that high amount into our calculation of the listing price. We also rarely use the USPS Priority Flat Rate. It just rarely works for us in terms of size of the item coupled with what you pay to ship it.

Anything over 3lbs. domestically we typically send via FedEx. Sometimes between 2 lbs. and 3 lbs. can go USPS or FedeX, but usually I've worked in the higher price into my listing.

USPS Current First Class Table (source, USPS website):

Weight in Oz. Cost 1 $1.69 2 $1.69 3 $1.69 4 $1.86 5 $2.04 6 $2.21 7 $2.39 8 $2.55 9 $2.73 10 $2.90 11 $3.08 12 $3.23 13 $3.38

(Well that's weird, the table showed in the editor, but looked like above when posted. Here's the link with the downloadable pricing file: https://www.usps.com/business/first-class-package-service.htm? )

Thank you much, Emes! Now to edit some eBay listings....

Guest betsy805

Well, this all got very heated, I am not sure if I dare to ask a question :)

Are you all mainly selling items by auction or buy it now?

I always have sold via auction ( and almost always bought that way ), I recently sold a 6080. Seeing that this set had a recent auction range of

Like it or not, Emes is 100% correct here.

Pirate - feel free to point this out. As I said, he pointed out that he thought battlepacks would normally be a lot lighter. I said that I used that because not everything can be shipped in a package that is light enough - and I was majorly compensating for weights.

No one has pointed out any errors yet. Point them out and i would be happy to admit I made them. I made some in the Delorean article, I admitted it right on the page. I don't get it. "Full of errors" yet no one can point them out at all. It's silly to me.

• Like 1

I'm surprised the best offer option rarely gets mentioned here. I love it. It's the best of both worlds. I usually get within 5-10% of my asking price, and it helps moves less desirable items a lot quicker.

Plus, i really enjoy declining ridiculous lowball offers.

Everyone needs a hobby.  :thumbsup:

I do use best offer on some very high priced items that have been sitting awhile and where I have a redonculous profit margin available to mess with. But, I set the auto-accept/auto-decline -- I get plenty of annoying lowball offers on the stuff I don't have best offer on, so the thrill is just gone for me.  :twitch:

I'm surprised the best offer option rarely gets mentioned here. I love it. It's the best of both worlds. I usually get within 5-10% of my asking price, and it helps moves less desirable items a lot quicker.

Plus, i really enjoy declining ridiculous lowball offers.

I love it too - I do offers all the time. Randomly wake up and I bought like 5 things.

You ever write a message when someone lowballs you? Its fun sometimes.

I had someone write me one saying "I am offering on several of your items based on retail prices". They were minifigs... They offered me like 40 cents on the dollar.

Guest betsy805

I listed a huge lot, just sorted & cleaned, straight from CL to ebay. A buyer offered me 10% of my asking price. I told him the soap and the ziplock bags cost more than that. He did not bother me again.

I got offered a price that is $100 lower than posted for an item I listed just hours ago.  Told him if it hadn't sold in a month then I'll keep him in mind.