Example of why there should be shipping limits on Ebay

The reason why shipping is sometimes disproportionately high by some sellers if that only pay a final value fee on the item price not total charged.  I'm so tempted to buy this using my old eBay/PayPal account (still good feedback), reverse shipping payment as soon as I get the item and then leave negative feedback  I'm here, he's there, what can he do? ;-)

See my post.  Ebay changed this a year or two ago.  You pay on shipping as well now.

See my post.  Ebay changed this a year or two ago.  You pay on shipping as well now.

Just to back this up...this changed a while back, and you pay final value fees on price+shipping.

If anyone thinks this isn't true then you need to revisit your listing calculations.

Guest TabbyBoy

That may be the case with eBay.com but I've recently sold bike components on eBay.co.uk and I was not charged final value fees on shipping as of a couple of months ago.  However PayPal takes its cut on the whiole shebang.

Just checked one of my invoices, July, I am paying 10% on the auction final value only. I do not see how eBay could legally charge on listed shipping. What if the buyer comes to pick it up?

eBay facilitates the transaction, and charges the final value fee on the full value of the transaction. Why would there be anything legal that requires the middleman to only charge for a portion of the value of the full transaction?

When this change was made, it was primarily because of people charging $1 for an item and $100 for shipping, thereby largely circumventing eBay fees. Think what you will about eBay and fees, but eBay is a for profit business and they are entitled to charge whatever fee they want for their services. They have shareholders that want a return on their investment.

If the buyer picks an item up, then shipping would have been zero, therefore the final value fee on shipping in that case would be $0.

We never offer ocal pickup because it's too much trouble, but fvfs are one of the reasons that for every listing we make, shipping costs are bundled into the item price and we offer "free shipping". There are a couple of other reasons as well. My advice to everyone is that you really need to take a look at things and start offering "free shipping". It's way better from a seller perspective.

• Like 2

eBay facilitates the transaction, and charges the final value fee on the full value of the transaction. Why would there be anything legal that requires the middleman to only charge for a portion of the value of the full transaction?

When this change was made, it was primarily because of people charging $1 for an item and $100 for shipping, thereby largely circumventing eBay fees. Think what you will about eBay and fees, but eBay is a for profit business and they are entitled to charge whatever fee they want for their services. They have shareholders that want a return on their investment.

If the buyer picks an item up, then shipping would have been zero, therefore the final value fee on shipping in that case would be $0.

We never offer ocal pickup because it's too much trouble, but fvfs are one of the reasons that for every listing we make, shipping costs are bundled into the item price and we offer "free shipping". There are a couple of other reasons as well. My advice to everyone is that you really need to take a look at things and start offering "free shipping". It's way better from a seller perspective.

So eBay punishes all for the actions of a very small minority?

If something is going to cost me

We never offer ocal pickup because it's too much trouble,

Yea, there should be a place to charge more for local pick-up. The buyer rarely wants to meet you somewhere that is convenient for you(the seller) and regardless of the meet location they're 30 minutes late. Once you factor in gas and time, local pick-up costs the seller way more than just going to the Post Office.

Yea, there should be a place to charge more for local pick-up. The buyer rarely wants to meet you somewhere that is convenient for you(the seller) and regardless of the meet location they're 30 minutes late. Once you factor in gas and time, local pick-up costs the seller way more than just going to the Post Office.

You can charge more if you just bundle it into the price of the item. Our volume is too high for local pickup, and I can tell you sometimes buyers don't really understand that and they get a little pissed that we're not interested in meeting them.