Example of why there should be shipping limits on Ebay

Guest TabbyBoy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141038308418&item=141038308418&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Looks like a great price for a new Falcon.

Unfortunately it looks like he is paying Frodo baggins to carry it into Mordor for you.

Come on Ebay - clear ploy to get people to look at the listing.

I just sent this message to seller:

"I find it difficult to believe that shipping can possibly be that expensive even if fully insured.  I just want it to be shipped to the UK without having a red carpet rolled up to your house, having a gold plated van drive it to the airport and then having it sit in first class across the pond sipping cocktails between head massages.  I have a friend that lives in Indianapolis so, can she pop round and pay you the $1,600 in cash this week if that's OK?  Seriously... I'm happy to pay a fair price but, isn't postage a tad high?  Cheers... James"

I'll let you know what the reply is if/when I get it.  If the reply is particularly nasty or no reply as all, I'll report the listing to eBay in a heartbeat - this is taking the plss and only misleads buyers and spoils it for the rest of us.

Guest TabbyBoy

That's no fun.  I want this person to think he's losing out on $1200.  I want to troll this guy.

I'll see what reply I get before I decide what to do next.

Here's what I wrote him.

"I would like to purchase this set and would be able to pick up locally.  Sound good?  That would save me a lot of money on the shipping price for your armored car that will be bringing this to my house that you surely rented for this price.  Thanks."

I hope he doesn't think my question was a joke after seeing yours...i might legit pick it up if he says yes, which he probably won't

I just sent this message to seller:

"I find it difficult to believe that shipping can possibly be that expensive even if fully insured.  I just want it to be shipped to the UK without having a red carpet rolled up to your house, having a gold plated van drive it to the airport and then having it sit in first class across the pond sipping cocktails between head massages.  I have a friend that lives in Indianapolis so, can she pop round and pay you the $1,600 in cash this week if that's OK?  Seriously... I'm happy to pay a fair price but, isn't postage a tad high?  Cheers... James"

I'll let you know what the reply is if/when I get it.  If the reply is particularly nasty or no reply as all, I'll report the listing to eBay in a heartbeat - this is taking the plss and only misleads buyers and spoils it for the rest of us.

I love trolling sellers like this on Ebay. My favorite are the exchanges with the drop shippers.

I just try to get them to admit it is a scam.

My favorite response was:

"It wasn't your credit card I stole so why do you care?"

I'm not trying to back the guy up, as it is a bit excessive.  But it is a total cost (Item + Shipping).  He would have a better shot at selling it for 2900, and free shipping.  

I have sold a few smaller items for around $5 and $5 shipping, and I get people saying that they would buy it if I wave the shipping. 

When making a purchase on eBay, always check the total cost.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to back the guy up, as it is a bit excessive.  But it is a total cost (Item + Shipping).  He would have a better shot at selling it for 2900, and free shipping.  

I have sold a few smaller items for around $5 and $5 shipping, and I get people saying that they would buy it if I wave the shipping. 

When making a purchase on eBay, always check the total cost.

Unfortunately the only way to do that is to sort buy shipping plus price which is inefficient in a lot of cases.

Guest TabbyBoy

The reason why shipping is sometimes disproportionately high by some sellers if that only pay a final value fee on the item price not total charged.  I'm so tempted to buy this using my old eBay/PayPal account (still good feedback), reverse shipping payment as soon as I get the item and then leave negative feedback  I'm here, he's there, what can he do? ;-)

The reason why shipping is sometimes disproportionately high by some sellers if that only pay a final value fee on the item price not total charged.  I'm so tempted to buy this using my old eBay/PayPal account (still good feedback), reverse shipping payment as soon as I get the item and then leave negative feedback  I'm here, he's there, what can he do? ;-)

I thought you paid it on shipping - that would definitely be why though. Thats more serious - end run around fees.