Unfortunately I have to make some returns ???

I agree with most everything you have except these below. The other LOTR sets I would return except for Weathertop:

3 x   9499 Gungan Sub   $40.00  - This one is a slight risk but I would try it. The minifigs in this set, especially the Amidala are very desirable. I think it will see growth because of that
9 x   9489 Endor   $9.00 (Return) - I would keep these. 9 isn't great, but with othe Endor sets coming out including Ewok Village, I think this battle pack will do well
11 x   9471 Uruk-hia Army   $21.00  - Absolutely keep. I have about this many at $21 as well.
11 x   6873 Spider Man's Doc Oc    $21.00  - I would keep a few. This set has sold really well so could be a sleeper
6868  Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout    $35.00 - I would keep. One word - the hulk. Gonna grow for sure just because of him.

Guest eightbrick

Since everyone is being so generous, i'll take them off your hands for free! :)

Don't listen to this. It is way to good to be true, it has to be a scam.

Anyway, about those Wargs, I would say at least keep a few.

The major appeal of Attack of the Wargs (for me at least) was the previously exclusive Thorin Oakenshield figure, who we know will now be coming out in 79013 Laketown Chase.  If the wargs make another appearance in the future, there's little reason to believe this set will be a big winner, especially considering it's MSRP is quite overpriced.  I would suggest reducing your exposure to this set, but if you want to, keep a few.

Personally, I would also keep The Mine as the rotating City subthemes tend to do well (especially the larger sets in this subtheme), and $70 is a good price for this.  Like anakinisvader said, it's not a 50% discount so it's probably not the best you'll find.   But this set still fits your 'buy and hold' profile and it's discounted decently.  I see nice returns on The Mine in the future 2-3 years.

If I was the store manager and you tried to return all that, I would certainly have some choice words for you, and if possible, would try and hit you with as much of a restocking fee as I possibly could. Unbelievable.

Actually I got to know the Wal Mart toy managers pretty well, but your probably rite a few people are going to be pissed. Especially if they actually have to take them all back at one location lol. Which i will fully take advantage of if i can. If they let me return all of them at one location im going to keep checking that store to see if they discount the returns even more. :wacko:  I also talked to and got to know a few employees and they gave me some tips on when the stuff was going on sale. It was all luck though, just so happens that i went to check some stuff out and she was marking them down while i was there. Then she told me that all wal marts in my region were going to have different mark downs on diff sets every were. I felt like i just found a gold mine or shot a Lion or something. Turns out all of you pros already knew it was coming.

Actually I got to know the Wal Mart toy managers pretty well, but your probably rite a few people are going to be pissed. Especially if they actually have to take them all back at one location lol. Which i will fully take advantage of if i can. If they let me return all of them at one location im going to keep checking that store to see if they discount the returns even more. :wacko:  I also talked to and got to know a few employees and they gave me some tips on when the stuff was going on sale. It was all luck though, just so happens that i went to check some stuff out and she was marking them down while i was there. Then she told me that all wal marts in my region were going to have different mark downs on diff sets every were. I felt like i just found a gold mine or shot a Lion or something. Turns out all of you pros already knew it was coming.

Now you are on here so you will know next time!

everyone on here does a very good job in keeping everyone else informed on what they see, where they see it, what they have heard, and what to possibly expect. as long as you stay active on the site and read/contribute to the forums on a regular basis you shouldn't miss any good sales or opportunities. everyone makes some bad decisions when they first start out, whether it be buying at retail (or possibly over retail if you stock up at TRU), buying the wrong sets, or in your case, prematurely blowing your load at a walmart clearance event. as long as you learn from it you will do fine going forward. good luck with that large return. you may not want to show your face at that walmart for awhile if they do indeed take it all back! lol

So on a previous post i had shown my recent shopping rampage at wal mart. I was actually thinking of parting out some of these sets, but have mostly changed my mind and decided to just stick with Real Estate Investing Instead of spending time parting these out. So my Lego investment strategy is just buy and hold. Now I have everything stacked and organized and must return many of the items back to the store shelves. Here is the actual break down of what i have at the moment and I was wondering what would you return if you were me.

I have had some good mentoring and some good advice and i i understand there are many different opinions on this site. Its just really hard to let go of something if there is value there. I also understand the large sets are regarded more on this site as a proven money makers ( Tower Bridge, Haunted House ) depending on how long you hold them.

What im trying to figure out is if there is any value in some of these medium sets. Let me know what you think if you feel like looking at what i have. Also let me know if you think I'm making a mistake at keeping or returning. Thanks.

City (Returning All)

1 x   4204 The Mine   $70.00  

3 x    4203 Excavator Transporter   $30.00

4 x   60005 Fire Boat    $21.00

12 x   4432 Garbage Truck   $13.00

3 x    7288 Mobile Police Unit   30.00

4 x    4439 Heavy Duty Helicopter   $35.00

1 x   4433 Dirt Bike Transporter   $13.00

Star Wars

2 x   9491 Geonosian Cannon   $13.00 (Return)

24 x    75004 Z-5 Headhunter   $35.00 (Return)

6 x   9498 Saesee Tiin's Jedi   $21.00  (Return)

9 x   9497 Republic Striker Class Starfighter   $25.00 (Return)

3 x   9499 Gungan Sub   $40.00 ?

2 x   9490 Droid Escape   $13.00 (Return)

6 x   9488 Elite Clone Trooper   $30.00 (Return)

9 x   9489 Endor   $9.00 (Return)

2 x   9493 X Wing   $40.00 ?

2 x   9492 Tie Fighter   $35.00 ?

Lord of the Rings  /  Hobbit (I almost want to keep all of these)??

18 x   79002 Attack of the Wargs   $35.00 ?

15 x   9496 Gandalf Arrives   $9.00 ?

14 x   79000 Riddles For the Ring   $7.00 ?

7 x   79001 Escape From Mirkwood Spiders   $21.00 ?

1 x   9473 The Mines of Moria   $54.00 ?

4 x   9472 Attack On Weathertop   $40.00 ?

18 x   79003 Unexpected Gathering   $49.00 (Keeping)

1 x   9474 Helm Deep   $89.00 (Keeping)

11 x   9471 Uruk-hia Army   $21.00 ? (Want to Keep on The Fence)

Spiderman / Dc Universe / Batman

10 x   6863 Batwing Battle Over Gotham   $25.00 ? (Want to Return On Fence)

1 x   76008 Iron Man Ultimate Showdown   $8.00 (Return)

11 x   6873 Spider Man's Doc Oc    $21.00 ? (Want to Return On Fence)

1 x   76006 Iron Man Extremis   $8.00 (Keeping Just Because of Price For Kids)

5 x   6868  Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout    $35.00 ? (Want to Keep on The Fence)

3 x   76007 Iron Man Malibu Mansion   $17.00 (Keeping Just Because of Price For Kids)

2 x   6860 Batcave   $49.00 (Keeping)

Chima

3 x   70004 Wakz Pack Tracker   $21.00 (Return)

8 x   70006 Cragger Command Ship   $54.00 (Return)

Hope you like my messy living room  :thumbsup:

Good Luck returning all those without getting weird looks. I feel weird returning more than 3+ sets at once. They might put you on some kind of scammer watch list who puills all the minifigures out and returns them lol

If I was the store manager and you tried to return all that, I would certainly have some choice words for you, and if possible, would try and hit you with as much of a restocking fee as I possibly could. Unbelievable.

Choicer words have not been spoken! ;)

I don't think Walmart does restocking fees, at least I haven't heard them do that.

.... Return half and keep the other half until your 90 day marker to see if anything potentially could change the way the investment turns out(ie: retirement)

This sounds like the absolutely most ____ (fill in the blank) kind of advice. Sure, he can keep it for 90 days and then see, but should he? Just seems like its on the line of being shady.

Stuff like this that drives retailers to put up limits, add restocking fees and in general make it more difficult on average consumers.

• Like 1

This sounds like the absolutely most ____ (fill in the blank) kind of advice. Sure, he can keep it for 90 days and then see, but should he? Just seems like its on the line of being shady.

Stuff like this that drives retailers to put up limits, add restocking fees and in general make it more difficult on average consumers.

Not sure why you feel it's shady. The rules that Walmart has written says he has upto 90 days to return an item. If he chooses at some point that he no longer wants he item(s) he has the choice of returning them Completely within walmarts policy.

Not sure why you feel it's shady. The rules that Walmart has written says he has upto 90 days to return an item. If he chooses at some point that he no longer wants he item(s) he has the choice of returning them Completely within walmarts policy.

You are right that it is within Walmart's policy. Probably a poor choice of words on my part.

And far be it from me to presume that I know why Walmart has chosen those policies. Perhaps it is a way of encouraging more purchases, so really it is only their success that is to blame when Walmart gets returns by the cart-load.

I know I make different purchasing decisions depending on when I know I can return an item and when I cannot return something.

All that said, I still can't help shake the feeling it is somehow wrong... Just think of the children that won't get those Lego sets, lol!

I felt like i just found a gold mine or shot a Lion or something. 

Interesting analogy.  Those two scenarios would elicit completely different and opposite emotions for me  :hmm:

Good luck with your returns, there has been some good advice in this thread for what you may want to hold on to.  You are pretty lucky the store you got them from has such a generous returns policy.  If I did something like that I'd have to spend months selling them off on auction sites  :D

I agree with both of you. This situation is a textbook case of policy abuse. Retro it sucks for you that you're a newbie AND you didn't do your homework before dropping your entire allowance on Lego. But them's the breaks.

I would never purposely defend walmart, but their return policies are quite generous and lenient. Too many people like you take advantage, we can all kiss it goodbye. Anyway im sure you won't have too much hassle returning all that junk, this time. Try to be a bit more careful in the future.

• Like 3

Guest eightbrick

I agree with both of you. This situation is a textbook case of policy abuse. Retro it sucks for you that you're a newbie AND you didn't do your homework before dropping your entire allowance on Lego. But them's the breaks.

I would never purposely defend walmart, but their return policies are quite generous and lenient. Too many people like you take advantage, we can all kiss it goodbye. Anyway im sure you won't have too much hassle returning all that junk, this time. Try to be a bit more careful in the future.

yes I will try to be more careful and mindful of wal marts store policy's. I will also try not to abuse Legos new policy on Investors and resellers they look down on that kind of stuff and frown upon it. Hmm maybe i just better stop this all together. :question:  

I would sell everything you want to return for about 20% above what you paid on the Classifieds once they open (which I am under the impression is soon) rather than bothering Walmart with so much restocking, which given recent comments seems like a quite unpopular decision. There would be many people here who would be overjoyed to get those sets at the prices you did, and then you could make a bit of profit too. Win-win in my opinion seeing as you don't seem keen on keeping some. Personally, I would be happy to take some of those sets off your hands once the Classifieds opens (City, LOTR, SW, etc.). Good luck - and don't lose hope in Lego investing. Do a bit more research, and you will come out good. The community here will be happy to help you become a better investor. :)

yes I will try to be more careful and mindful of wal marts store policy's. I will also try not to abuse Legos new policy on Investors and resellers they look down on that kind of stuff and frown upon it. Hmm maybe i just better stop this all together. :question:

Don't take it so hard dude. A lot of us here are less than a year into this, and we've all had buyer's remorse. If these returns will help you reset your investment, and you take advantage by making wiser choices later, you'll be alright.

As for quitting Lego: the great thing about investing in toys is they don't have to be profitable to be fun.

How is it shady? If it was shady then I suggest Wal-Mart should lower it to 60 days or even 30. Plain and simple Wally world gives you 90 days and as long as you have your receipt you can return in that time period without violating their policy. Restocking fees are for opened items not factory sealed. No major retailer charges a restocking fee for unopened items. As for limits...there should be limits! As an investor we don't want to see those limits but if Soccer Mom Judy can't find her son that Lego set he has been begging for at her local retailer location it forces her to shop somewhere else locally or online which will create a pattern for her future purchases when she realizes it can be bought without even leaving her home. It's in the best interest for brick and mortar retailers to have limits. Some walmarts are already offering Christmas layaway so what's the difference in that then holding off on returning in their 90 day period. If OP wanted to he could go back return them all re purchase and put ten percent down and make small min. Payments until Dec and If he changed his mind I believe all he would be out would be the five dollars (assuming its all done under one transaction). Of course that would be a lot of work ....

Simply put a team of highly paid legal advisors came up with that policy and provided its followed they have determined its not "shady"