What is your personal preference for parts condition?

ExoBro94

Brick Condition  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which bricks do you use?

• New
    • Used
    • Both new and used

I'm about to finally start planning/organizing for my Hollywood Studio Backlot. I have a list if a bunch of parts that I need to order from bricklink. My question to all of you: do you purchase new or used pieces when working on a MOC. I would love to save some money, but I dont want the pieces I use to look beat up (the pieces from my childhood are not even beat up). Do you guys rely on one condition brick, or do you purchase both new and used?

I usually buy whats cheapest... but if the difference between new and used is less than a few cents then I usually go for new. so ye its kinda hard to say 100%.

But mostly I try and buy new, but if i need large quantities i usually go for used or whoever has them cheapest.

I'm thinking about using used pieces to build substructure and supports. So they will be hidden. Then I can use new pieces to build the parts of the model that people will see. The thing about bricklink though is that you never know who is trying to "stay in the game" and who is just selling their bricks. That's when I would be afraid to get bad pieces.

I'm thinking about using used pieces to build substructure and supports. So they will be hidden. Then I can use new pieces to build the parts of the model that people will see. The thing about bricklink though is that you never know who is trying to "stay in the game" and who is just selling their bricks. That's when I would be afraid to get bad pieces.

The tough thing with all of this is: Everyone has a different interpretation of what used and new is. Technically, a lot of us feel if a set is open, it's used. But bricks - maybe it is whether they have been played with. But how do you tell or know for sure?

Honestly, because of this, I just go with new. The price difference is usually negligible and I find that people that list them as new don't differ from each other as much as "used" condition - especially on a site like Bricklink with no pictures.

The tough thing with all of this is: Everyone has a different interpretation of what used and new is. Technically, a lot of us feel if a set is open, it's used. But bricks - maybe it is whether they have been played with. But how do you tell or know for sure?

Honestly, because of this, I just go with new. The price difference is usually negligible and I find that people that list them as new don't differ from each other as much as "used" condition - especially on a site like Bricklink with no pictures.

Yeah I see what you mean. I personally would say new bricks constitute as ones that have not been played with. So open set pieces are fine in my book.

I buy and sell both. As a buyer if I get used pieces that are unacceptable I won't use that seller again. (unless I look back at my order and find that I bought a piece that was marked as yellowed, worn, scratched. then it's my fault for not paying attention.) As a seller I personally don't list or sell used bricks that i wouldn't want to receive as a buyer.

Both, as long as the used condition isn't mis-colored or destroyed, they're fine.

Speaking of which, don't want to hijack this topic but does anyone on here have a decent sized Bricklink store? I need to place a few large part orders and would rather give the business to a fellow Brickpicker if at all possible!

Both, as long as the used condition isn't mis-colored or destroyed, they're fine.

Speaking of which, don't want to hijack this topic but does anyone on here have a decent sized Bricklink store? I need to place a few large part orders and would rather give the business to a fellow Brickpicker if at all possible!

Sorry my store is closed until Mid November. I have a seasonal job and my Lego time is limited in the summer's. I'd appreciate the business but have no time to do inventory and then pull a large order at the moment. 

If you are in no hurry and don't mind waiting, and want to send me a list I could probably help you then.

Guest eightbrick

New pieces unless there are special circumstances. Often a "lightly used" piece could actually have bite marks, stains, etc. However, if you are in need of special pieces such as this http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=95347 (this is the latest of four versions of that piece) for your supports, it doesn't really matter if you go new: either way they sell for ~47 cents each. Used effects are often amplified if the piece you are buying is a minifigure, you may end up with uber loose arms or faded faces if it is old, but other than that, if you want to minimize costs by buying from one store, it wouldn't hurt to add some used stuff to the mix. Especially considering if your order is big they will be very eager to please you if there is a mishap. Good luck!

For building something for myself that I was going to keep and display, I'd definitely go with new, but I'm a fussy frog and Mr. Frog is worse.

For building our custom prototypes (our 3D "working copy"), we go with used when we need a part we don't have, and don't even care about color.

For building for resale, all new.

For building something for myself that I was going to keep and display, I'd definitely go with new, but I'm a fussy frog and Mr. Frog is worse.

For building our custom prototypes (our 3D "working copy"), we go with used when we need a part we don't have, and don't even care about color.

For building for resale, all new.

I'm fussy as well, and since this is my first major MOC, I might just have to go with all new pieces.

a lot of new vs. used depends on the color me me. The whites and the clear pieces tend to yellow in the sun, and just do not look as good over time. However, the darker pieces is not as big of an issue.

i have now pieced together two MOC's and i am working on a 3rd with over 13,000 pieces. i am buying all new pieces and i have been for the others of my MOC's because it just takes out the worry of old discolored pieces

a lot of new vs. used depends on the color me me. The whites and the clear pieces tend to yellow in the sun, and just do not look as good over time. However, the darker pieces is not as big of an issue.

i have now pieced together two MOC's and i am working on a 3rd with over 13,000 pieces. i am buying all new pieces and i have been for the others of my MOC's because it just takes out the worry of old discolored pieces

I agree with you. Most of the time, I need a lot of new white pieces, because they yellow in the sun. This also sometimes happens to me with some of the other lighter colored pieces. For the darker colored pieces, I do not have much of a problem.

I use both.  Generally I try and get new but for parts of MoC you won't see I get used bricks.  I usually end up building an order with a store that has the most parts I need in order to keep shipping down and sometimes that means having to go for used.   I've been pretty bad at estimating my requirements though and often have just purchased big lots of bricks I think I might need but aren't sure, if it's used I usually go over what I need and weed out and bad ones.  I've had some shockingly dirty parts recently though.

• 5 months later...

For MOCs I usually go for new.  For most parts, the price difference is only a few cents higher, which is worth it to get a guaranteed good quality part.  People have differing opinions on what's "used but in good condition."  I bought a certain used part a while ago for a MOC because it was an uncommon part and the savings was significant buying used.  Seller said that it was used but good condition.  The part I received looked like it was used as a dog's chew toy.  Luckily I got a refund, but I buy new if possible to avoid this hassle.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally if it's not bent, not broken, doesn't have tooth marks and isn't sticky with tar/nicotine then I'm willing to use it.  I haven't done any big builds using old lighter colored pieces, but I guess if I was doing a big MOC for presentation I might want to stick with newer pieces just so I wouldn't have to worry about yellowed parts.