A Serious Discussion about Brick Classifieds

A contacts database would be good, buyers could submit what they are looking for and registered sellers to the site could offer what they have on the buyers list & send their price, with a % bill maybe going to both buyer & seller payable to the site.

A "wanted list" or wanted ads would be a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Honestly I don't see the point of selling here at all.

I haven't seen one person or post of anyone that would pay full value for sets.  We're all here discussing the super deals we got and the skyhigh price we expect others to pay for our stuff.  *WE* as 'investors' have the mentality that we aren't going to pay retail when we know we can get a 5% redcard or get TRU to pricematch or something.

I wouldn't list my sets here for a price that someone here would be willing to pay because even after feebay or amazon is done raping me for their share i know i'll end up making even more to reinvest off other sites.

I'd love to trade with you guys sure, but I'd never sell anything to you, you're just as greedy and deal hungry as I am, if not more so (if that's possible i'm a cheap jerk)

This is completely short sited. You are only focusing on price.

What about trust - we will actually know certain members. 

All the people on here who just collect or want parts

Easier target audience to get rid of something without the hassle that Ebay provides with Used Sets

Trading

There are tons of ways this will work fine.

My advice for you and anyone who is thinking the same thing - if you are going to make a point about something like this, try not to completely undermine a major feature that the site owners have spent countless man hours, dollars, and probably brain matter on with your opinions. You can express opinions without calling things pointless. 

The majority of us vastly appreciate the time and effort that goes into something like this and honestly if I have to make a little less money, but get to support a site like this, I will be fine with it. Honestly, competition is what makes things like this better anyway, and Ebay and Amazon need exactly that.

• Like 4

There are two big projects going on right now. One is the classifieds and one is another that will be announce next week as it is just about done.  Between the two of them, it touches on many of the points that are being talked about here.  

Over the past few months, Ed and I have be rather quiet on the site. For a while, we were dealing with family issues and that sucked a lot of our time.  The mods have done a great job with all the conversations and taking care of things and we thank them for that.  

We talk to a lot of members.  Many are members that rarely post or may have never posted at all.  There are a lot of transactions going on behind the scenes here which is great.  If it wasn't for Brickpicker, many would not know one another. So yes, some of the points/features you talk about here will be a huge success and will open the doors to new business or greatly enhance your current business set.  Ed and I have been paying attention to what everyone is talking about and what people are doing on the site overall.  We are constantly talking about where we think this lego investing world is going and are trying to develop the tools that will make site useful to you and your businesses. 

What if TabbyBoy was in Sainsbury's with a full shelf of Malibu Mansions for 9 quid but didn't want to buy them all, but he would pick up whats left for me and sell for 15 that I put in his paypal account before he's even at the till.

The second feature I mention will be very helpful with this scenario.

• Like 2

This is completely short sited. You are only focusing on price.

What about trust - we will actually know certain members. 

All the people on here who just collect or want parts

Easier target audience to get rid of something without the hassle that Ebay provides with Used Sets

Trading

There are tons of ways this will work fine.

My advice for you and anyone who is thinking the same thing - if you are going to make a point about something like this, try not to completely undermine a major feature that the site owners have spent countless man hours, dollars, and probably brain matter on with your opinions. You can express opinions without calling things pointless. 

The majority of us vastly appreciate the time and effort that goes into something like this and honestly if I have to make a little less money, but get to support a site like this, I will be fine with it. Honestly, competition is what makes things like this better anyway, and Ebay and Amazon need exactly that.

DNIIM, you are 100% correct.  

@Jojoyojimbi, you don't need to use it, but if you are not going to use it, then don't even comment on it. You are shallow enough to comment and rip apart a product that you have no idea about, but I guess you know everything right.

• Like 2

A "wanted list" or wanted ads would be a great idea.

A "Want Ads" feature is in the classifieds area.  

2014-02-14_23-09-00.png

But I am doing it a little different than just having people check off a ton of sets.  These will be more like real Want Ads for serious buyers.  If you do something like what Brickset has, then people will be flooded with a bunch of spam from people who think they want the set.  These ads will be buyers telling sellers.."hey contact me.. if you have this set, I am interested" and you can work out a deals.  The goal of the classifieds is to actively keep buyers and sellers engaged.

But I guess this concept is dumb and worthless too.. Right Jojoyojimbi?

• Like 4

A "Want Ads" feature is in the classifieds area.  

2014-02-14_23-09-00.png

But I am doing it a little different than just having people check off a ton of sets.  These will be more like real Want Ads for serious buyers.  If you do something like what Brickset has, then people will be flooded with a bunch of spam from people who think they want the set.  These ads will be buyers telling sellers.."hey contact me.. if you have this set, I am interested" and you can work out a deals.  The goal of the classifieds is to actively keep buyers and sellers engaged.

But I guess this concept is dumb and worthless too.. Right Jojoyojimbi?

I like it. There is definitely a fine line you have to walk for wanted ads. NO ONE pays attention to them on Craigslist because of this. 

Is all the contacting going to be through private message?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Macks just ignore us (myself included) and keep plugging along

Honestly I don't see the point of selling here at all.

I haven't seen one person or post of anyone that would pay full value for sets.  We're all here discussing the super deals we got and the skyhigh price we expect others to pay for our stuff.  *WE* as 'investors' have the mentality that we aren't going to pay retail when we know we can get a 5% redcard or get TRU to pricematch or something.

I wouldn't list my sets here for a price that someone here would be willing to pay because even after feebay or amazon is done raping me for their share i know i'll end up making even more to reinvest off other sites.

I'd love to trade with you guys sure, but I'd never sell anything to you, you're just as greedy and deal hungry as I am, if not more so (if that's possible i'm a cheap jerk)

I've bought from DNIM on ebay (unknowingly), I also check out Justafrogs BL store before all others I'm sure they would rather do it here without the fees. 

you and I traded and were happy right?  next year you might be able to put out an ad saying that you'll buy any Pick'a'brick boxes at so and so price.  ohh and i applaud you're greed

there are some here who are trying to turn and burn sets for the most profit while others are collectors and making some cash on the side. the classifieds will work, have faith

Damn Jeff, did I strike a nerve or what, you calling me out in two consecutive posts?

I still wager I'm right

PS. my dad can beat up your dad

and i noticed how you deleted my post about having 5 VCs to sell for $500 to see if anyone here would really pay what a set's worth

No sir I deleted your posts and if you have any questions as to why I did you can PM me. PS keep acting like a 8 year old and I guarantee you won't be around when the classifieds roll out. Your opinion that it won't work and why it wont work was noted so no need to discuss it further.
  • Like 2

No sir I deleted your posts and if you have any questions as to why I did you can PM me. PS keep acting like a 8 year old and I guarantee you won't be around when the classifieds roll out. Your opinion that it won't work was noted so no need to discuss it further.

if it's not open to discussion anymore than stop singling me out, there's 16 pages of opinions that agree with my point of view

I have no issues with you or anyone expressing their opinion. Your concerns have been heard and the reponse (from the creator of this site) was that if you dont think the feature will work then dont use it end of story. No need for further discussion on why you think it wont work. If you cannot comprehend this just let me know and I will arrange a time out for you so you can think about it. We do not tollerate trolling in these forums so you either conform or you will be removed, your choice.

• Like 2

What amuses me is that people say something won't work while it already works damn well on the Bricklink site. LEGO fans selling to LEGO fans has worked for years on that site. Our commission structure will be less than theirs. Maybe many of you are just afraid of an educated buyer.

• Like 2

What amuses me is that people say something won't work while it already works damn well on the Bricklink site. LEGO fans selling to LEGO fans has worked for years on that site. Our commission structure will be less than theirs. Maybe many of you are just afraid of an educated buyer.

In general, I believe there is a big difference between Bricklink & Brickpicker members, and their goals.

But I still think the Brickpicker classifieds are a great idea. While it might not be the place to sell, if you were only looking to get top dollar - it would be the best for someone looking to sell mass quantities of an item (purchased at a good price), or as I have mentioned previously - for investors who for whatever personal reasons, need to get out quick.

There will be a niche for Brick Classifieds, just like all the rest of the retail marketplaces. I don't buy my products from the same place all the time and we don't expect people to make it their only marketplace. Our point is many of you do not know who is on the site at any given time. Most are not forum participants. Don't let a handful of vocal resellers give you the impression that this site has little in the way of regular LEGO fans or consumers.

Damn Jeff, did I strike a nerve or what, you calling me out in two consecutive posts?

I still wager I'm right

PS. my dad can beat up your dad

and i noticed how you deleted my post about having 5 VCs to sell for $500 to see if anyone here would really pay what a set's worth

Wow you don't stop do you? I mean, I am not perfect but on your list you have:

claiming it is not stealing to take clearance items back to Lego (comparing it to selling something for more than you paid for it) - that thread was deleted

Being a jerk to several members for no reason

Continually making troll comments

Now actually calling out the founders of the site YOU ARE ON FOR FREE

Continuing to go on about it after moderation has occurred.

You know who the people are who have to yell "IM RIGHT IM RIGHT" all the time? The people who are so insecure and immature with their choices they must defend them the loudest

I have no issues with you or anyone expressing their opinion. Your concerns have been heard and the reponse (from the creator of this site) was that if you dont think the feature will work then dont use it end of story. No need for further discussion on why you think it wont work. If you cannot comprehend this just let me know and I will arrange a time out for you so you can think about it. We do not tollerate trolling in these forums so you either conform or you will be removed, your choice.

We don't always agree on everything certainly - nor should we, but this is 5 star moderation.

Another thing the close minded don't get - Lets say Brick Classifieds for some strange out there reason is not a huge success. Will it just sit there and stay the same like bricklink or Ebay? Or Amazon?

No - it will be tweaked and changed because if anything has been proved by the founders and moderators on this site, its that mediocrity is not enough.

It kills me that a few people here pretend like they know EVERYONE in the community and exactly what their intentions are. There are plenty of people that lurk here (and some even post routinely) that spend far more on their collection of LEGO to own than you do on your investments.  :rofl:

I don't know how those people's wives haven't killed them. Mine is close. lol.

• Like 1

What if TabbyBoy was in Sainsbury's with a full shelf of Malibu Mansions for 9 quid but didn't want to buy them all, but he would pick up whats left for me and sell for 15 that I put in his paypal account before he's even at the till.

The second feature I mention will be very helpful with this scenario.

I Love this idea!

I wouldn't mind paying someone a commission to shop for me.