The Simpsons - general discussion

Darth Lego

Now that would be something to see!

Would you buy it from more of an investors standpoint or more from a collectors standpoint?

Hmm, that's a tough one to answer.

I think the investments of these could be good. I'm not a diehard fan of the show, so I'm not sure about collecting for myself (without actual images at least). If this turns out to be true, let's just hope they get the likenesses right. I'd be interested in seeing what sets LEGO can come up with!

The Simpsons just need to go away........

Blasphemy!

I was literally discussing building a city scene based on Springfield last week. This would be really cool news! How could you not like a bunch of sets that appeal directly to AFOLs and future AFOLs?

I can tell you that in the collectible poster world that the 'unreal estate' prints (Tim Doyle of Nakatomi) sell really well, so there are definitely buyers...

A Simpsons line would do very well with AFOLs that liked the show, I am not one of them however. I thought the show was terrible and have been alive for its entirety. Is there anything THAT iconic that someone would have to have? They had a Build-a-Bob for Spongebob, maybe they'll have a Build-a-Bart. I fall under the same category with TMNT. There are tons of people who liked it, I was just never a huge fan. The video games were pretty cool though.

I'd rather Family Guy..

Me, too.

If I'm honest, I don't like The Simpsons cartoon at all. I did once many, MANY, years ago but everytime I have tried to catch an episode these last few years, I can't even force myself to laugh. Which is kinda strange cause the movie was actually pretty funny. I don't know. The show just doesn't click with me.

Now Futurama on the otherhand is f***ing hilarious! And Family Guy is great.

But....

The Simpsons just need to go away........

Please, somebody kill the show. This is right there with Bob's Burgers for me.

At the least, I am curious as before to what LEGO would do with the license but this is one thing that I would not touch.

That is not as an investor or a collector, but as myself.

I can't relate to the Simpsons and I definitely wouldn't buy any LEGO sets. I don't see it being good investments either. But there is a Large fan base from the 90's that love it. Don't know if they love it as much now but I remember way back they had to watch every episode. I agree Simpson...STAY AWAY!!!!!

I could see where this could do well, if Lego makes the right sets. Modular sets based on Springfield would be AMAZING. Rare minifigs in each set would really help the cause (like with TMNT, where you had to buy every set to set them all). Making the fringe characters exclusive to one set would really make it a tough line to collect.

I'd rather Family Guy..

I would buy a Family Guy house and The Clam. Family Guy I do find very funny, my wife thinks I'm juvenile, but it's a bit of a release for me to laugh at something for a bit. I think cartoon figures would be difficult to make look like Lego and would end up like the Toy Story figs. While they didn't look bad, they didn't look like Lego either.

I can't relate to the Simpsons and I definitely wouldn't buy any LEGO sets. I don't see it being good investments either. But there is a Large fan base from the 90's that love it. Don't know if they love it as much now but I remember way back they had to watch every episode. I agree Simpson...STAY AWAY!!!!!

"there is a large fan base from the 90's that love it." this is key. lego makes toys geared towards children. children today do not relate to the simpsons as i once did (i was in 7th grade when the show started). they have too many other options today to get into a 25 year old cartoon. why would lego create a theme based off of a cartoon that has a limited demographic today? i can't see the kids today getting into this theme, and for the adults who loved the show in their youth, how many are going to rush out and buy the toys now? probably not that many. maybe i am completely off base here, but i just don't see this doing well if it does indeed happen.

I think cartoon figures would be difficult to make look like Lego and would end up like the Toy Story figs. While they didn't look bad, they didn't look like Lego either.

That's true. They were an interesting bunch as minifigures go, though. Seeing what was essential a toy (like ragdoll Woody), being represented in another medium of toys (LEGO). It's a trippy amalgam. My favorite of those still is the Armymen. I played with the original plastic green men when I was a kid (even melted a couple with a lighter), and then to have those in my all-time favorite of LEGO was the greatest thing ever.

I was a huge simpsons fan in college, sadly, I don't find the current seasons funny at all, but I loved the content from seasons 2-10ish. There a lot of people who would go to great lengths to get some of the minifigs. After the main family, there is Mr Burns/ Smithers, Principal Chalmers, Cheif Wiggum/ Ralph, Nelson Grandpa Lenny/Carl Kent Brockman Lionel Hutz Comic Book Guy The Flanders Family Itchy & Scratchy Dr Hibbert Krusty Troy McLure Sea Captain Apu Sideshow Bob Grounds Keeper Willie Milhouse I'd probably sink a ton of money into sets that include all of these and other people would as well, especially after their favorite character went EOL. + Bonus points if they make a Mumu Homer.

That's true. They were an interesting bunch as minifigures go, though. Seeing what was essential a toy (like ragdoll Woody), being represented in another medium of toys (LEGO). It's a trippy amalgam. My favorite of those still is the Armymen. I played with the original plastic green men when I was a kid (even melted a couple with a lighter), and then to have those in my all-time favorite of LEGO was the greatest thing ever.

I completely agree, I went with a friend of mine to clear out stores of Army Men on Patrol, greatest idea ever!

For some of the haters, I would point you in the direction of their numbers this season. If you compare it side by side with Family Guy, the numbers are pretty darn similar, and wikipedia tells me that it is still the sixth most expensive show to run ads in. Some of those millions of viewers have to be willing to build some Simpsons Lego!

Take all my money now!!! I would buy the crap outta this theme if it comes true. I used to collect Simpsons figures before moving on to Lego so a combo of the two would be awesome! So many possibilities in Lego for the Simpsons world. Buildings, vehicles, city stuff, even Treehouse of horror type sets. There are so many great characters to make minifigs of, plus they are nearly all yellow!