Technic Unimog 8110, was released at the end of year

Guest TabbyBoy

I bought my two at Argos last year with an R2-D2 when LEGO was 3-for-2.  I've built one and have the other left boxed in the attic.  Since this was the largest ever Technoc set at the time, the force is strong in this one especially as it's Merc licenced and a cracking build.  Just don't get the gears the wrong way round in the differential gearbox near the start of the build like I did as it's a 3hr strip down to fix when you hear the steering clicking!  I foolishly built it "my way" as I thought there was a mistake in the manual, there wasn't!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Canada and I stacked a couple of 8110 Unimogs. However, here the retail price is 250$ compared to 200$ in the USA with 100 CAD = 95 USD. So we're a little bit screwed here with the LEGO investing business. We have to be resourceful and take our chances when we have them! I used the Toys R Us competition policy : they match ANY price (in Canada, of course), minus 10% (of the lowest price, of course). With this policy applied, I managed to get my hands on a few 8110 Unimogs at 196 CAD. How much did you pay for yours in the USA and elsewhere?

Costco has the Unimog for $189.99 CAD right now (online only). If TRU prices matches and adds 10% off, you could get it for a touch over $170. You probably won't ever find that price up here again. They also had the MKII mobile crane for $189.99 but it is sold out. The Grand Prix Racer is $119.99 (msrp is $149.99).

http://www.costco.ca/building-blocks-sets.html

gregjp : That's exactly how I got my Unimogs. I missed my chance for the Mobile Crane MKII, but rest assured, I'm checking their website daily and as soon as it shows, I'll be in a TRU nearby to pick some for 189,99 CAD minus 10%! I also got the Grand Prix Racer the same way.

Guest TabbyBoy

gregjp : That's exactly how I got my Unimogs. I missed my chance for the Mobile Crane MKII, but rest assured, I'm checking their website daily and as soon as it shows, I'll be in a TRU nearby to pick some for 189,99 CAD minus 10%! I also got the Grand Prix Racer the same way.

The mobile crane MKII is new and there's plently of time to buy one especially as the bigger discounts are yet to come.  Unless you want to build it now of course.

I'm pretty sure, I have had confirmation from some people who work at Lego  :zorro:

I'd be hesitant to trust a LEGO employee. We have a thread called "What I heard from a LEGO Store Employee today?", tracking all the blasphemy LEGO Shop at Home people throw at us. ;) http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/5438-what-i-heard-from-a-lego-store-employee-today/

Guest TabbyBoy

I think I will still build it, I've been wanting to build one for ages. I agree that I'll get my money back. Probably still profit on it as I got it for a good price.

I recently sold a Supercar (8070) that I'd built for more than I bought it for.

I bought 3 Supercars from Tesco this Summer for

Picked up my MKII crane at 20% off retail plus a $15 discount card from TRU, total came to about $200CAD even, with taxes included. TRU was handing out $15 discount card during black friday when you purchase more than $100 worth of any toys. I purchased 2 Hulk Helicarrier at $55 and was handed that $15 card. They threw in a minifigure.

• 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Thank God it's dead, these take up a lot of space!  I have one boxed for the long haul and will sell my built one once prices rise to get my money back.

Thank God it's dead, these take up a lot of space!  I have one boxed for the long haul and will sell my built one once prices rise to get my money back.

Tell me about it. I've been reviewing the idea of investing so much money in the large sets solely because it's so hard to find boxes large enough to ship these huge items. I've looked at numerous websites for cardboard and there's not a lot about to accommodate the bigger Lego sets without having it three foot deep. Any suggestions on packaging?

Guest TabbyBoy

Tell me about it. I've been reviewing the idea of investing so much money in the large sets solely because it's so hard to find boxes large enough to ship these huge items. I've looked at numerous websites for cardboard and there's not a lot about to accommodate the bigger Lego sets without having it three foot deep. Any suggestions on packaging?

I "manufacture" my own boxes by using a bigger box and simply cutting it down to size and re-taping seams with heavy duty reinforced parcel tape.  I use double-wall for the larger, expensive sets and wrap the set in a bin liner and then bubble wrap before fitting it snuggly in the box.  This helps protect it due to the heavy rain we have at the moment.  I've not paid for a box in months and I either re-use Amazon/Lego boxes or take them from supermarkets.  I buy large boxes of padded envelopes from Costco for the cheaper sets or those unboxed.  I've not actually sold a very valuable set (eg. 41999 or 71006) yet but, I'm tempted to list them for pick-up only.

I'm just about to post my last Iron Man ;-( and he's put in a box that I just cut out of a larger Amazon box.  It doesn't take too long to re-make a box once you have a knack for it.