Bricklink Builds? Money Making?

Greetings:  I was reading the thread a few weeks ago with the rainbow 10179 and the reference and link to ebay for the custom black version.  I know it's time consuming to go this route for 10179 or other big builds such as Taj Mahal, but what's the feeling typically on the money making side of this venture?  I only really see the custom 10179 and there was money made on that one. 

My apologies if this is a thread already somewhere else.  I looked for it but didn't find anything.

Thanks as always!

Greetings:  I was reading the thread a few weeks ago with the rainbow 10179 and the reference and link to ebay for the custom black version.  I know it's time consuming to go this route for 10179 or other big builds such as Taj Mahal, but what's the feeling typically on the money making side of this venture?  I only really see the custom 10179 and there was money made on that one. 

My apologies if this is a thread already somewhere else.  I looked for it but didn't find anything.

Thanks as always!

From what I have seen you definitely can. But it is extremely time consuming and takes patience. Its easier to just buy a set and wait for it to be worth more. Lol.

But some people definitely do it and enjoy it.

It is quite frequent to see Bricklinked Coffee Corner; you can tell because there is often no instructions, and no box, and also because some special window pieces are replaced by a cheapest variant (the genuine one not being produced anymore, and being very expensive). I haven't seen any bricklinked Green Grocer (yet), probably because sand green bricks are very expensive on Bricklink (and lenghts are different from the ones in HH).

BTW, if you watch the official Lego video for the upcoming winter market set, the designer girl advertises the set as containing 2 dark blue arches, to satisfy people searching for this piece to build a coffee corner. Interesting isn't it ?

I think it's a good idea if you don't mind it taking a while to get your cash. BrickLinking a set is time a very time consuming process, especially on builds that have lots of different types of pieces. Before you start BrickLinking a set, make sure that the value of the pieces is actually less than the value of a used set, as that is the condition that you would sell you set. You want the margin of profit to be large enough to make it worthwhile.

A great set to do this would be the 10189 Taj Mahal. You need several hundred of certain pieces, and only about 2 pages worth of pieces in the instructions.

I'm in the process of BrickLinking one and I plan on selling it later on. Let's just say that since I wasn't so dilligent with the build, it's far from complete.

If you are willing to commit yourself to the project over a longish period of time, by all means go for it!

Good luck, LegoFink!!

Thanks all...this helps.  Just looking for a way to actively make some side money with little risk.  We own a Lego business teaching kids using Lego, so my wife is always on bricklink.  I may choose the taj mahal or the custom falcon to try it out.

I can be profitable if you pick the right set.  It's pretty much the inverse of parting out a set.  Just look for ones with big gaps between the parted out price on Bricklink and the used prices for the set.  Plus you get the bonus of building the set yourself at least once if you want to.

Thanks all...this helps.  Just looking for a way to actively make some side money with little risk.  We own a Lego business teaching kids using Lego, so my wife is always on bricklink.  I may choose the taj mahal or the custom falcon to try it out.

Good choices, LegoFink, and best of luck to you! Be sure to tell us how it all works out.

I'm guessing that you know how to use BrickLink, but I'll just post it here anyways for anyone who doesn't know. On BrickLink, there is a handy function called a "Wanted List". No, not the renegade LEGO brick that old man Pete stepped on and he wants to break. It is just a list of bricks or sets that you want.

If you are BrickLinking a set, create a Wanted List for that set, and enter in most, or all of the pieces for that set. Then BrickLink will find several sellers who has the highest amount of pieces that you need. After you select a seller, then you can auto-fill your cart with all of the pieces and quantities that you specified. Just remove the pieces that you've already bought, and eventually, you get all the pieces you need, without buying from 50 different sellers! :D

Good choices, LegoFink, and best of luck to you! Be sure to tell us how it all works out.

I'm guessing that you know how to use BrickLink, but I'll just post it here anyways for anyone who doesn't know. On BrickLink, there is a handy function called a "Wanted List". No, not the renegade LEGO brick that old man Pete stepped on and he wants to break. It is just a list of bricks or sets that you want.

If you are BrickLinking a set, create a Wanted List for that set, and enter in most, or all of the pieces for that set. Then BrickLink will find several sellers who has the highest amount of pieces that you need. After you select a seller, then you can auto-fill your cart with all of the pieces and quantities that you specified. Just remove the pieces that you've already bought, and eventually, you get all the pieces you need, without buying from 50 different sellers! :D

Thanks cb...I have only played around on bricklink a couple of times.  I did notice that you can enter a set number and created the wanted list that way.  Of course, that is if you don't want to change any pieces out.  It may be something that sounds good while I have a little extra time but quickly gets put on the back burner as life gets busy.  I'm going through ebay now to see if any other sets stand out and do further research on those.  It would be nice to find a similar profit margin on something smaller than the 2 biggest sets ever LOL.  I'll keep you posted!