79007 - Battle at the Black Gate

Figure in fees, shipping, etc. if you are talking about getting enough money back to basically get your other one for free, I'm skeptical.

Sorry, yeah, the $66 does include shipping, but not Ebay fees or wherever you sell it.  So, take a little off that total.  Again, I only want the three main minifigs, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. 

dang, with i would have caught the buy 1 get 1 40% off sale, have been watching this set for some time hoping it would fall below $45, mainly for my own personal collection but still it would have been nice.

The BOGO 40% off is still working at Amazon.  I just added 2 Black Gate's to my cart and it totals out at $71.98 for 2 on the last page/place your order screen.

The BOGO 40% off is still working at Amazon.  I just added 2 Black Gate's to my cart and it totals out at $71.98 for 2 on the last page/place your order screen.

Oh cool thanks, i was confused as the final prices doesnt show up until the very last page of check out process. Looks like there are a few other sets that offer 40% off as well :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump such and old thread. 

I found one of these clearanced at my local Wal-Mart for $29 and couldn't help myself. The box is a little banged up, but not too bad. 

Should I be sitting on this or should I part out the figs? I'm really not trying to get into parting out sets. 

29$ is nice!

I am too lazy to part sets out, but it is often the best way to make profit before EOL. However, if my calculations are good :umnik:, this set (and LOTR sets as well) has a good chance to sell over 100$ in a couple of years. In either way, you cannot lose any money...

29$ is nice!

I am too lazy to part sets out, but it is often the best way to make profit before EOL. However, if my calculations are good :umnik:, this set (and LOTR sets as well) has a good chance to sell over 100$ in a couple of years. In either way, you cannot lose any money...

I finally picked up on that denoysa!

Even if I don't 'love' the set doesn't mean it's not solid. Found another one today. ;)

• 3 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Parting out this set (and others) is good as you don't have to stress about how couriers handle the package when shipping.  A lot of UK buyers are so anally demanding that any set I have in a less-than-perfect box, gets parted out or sold without box or "Damaged Box" in big red font.

Black Gate's success will be determined by how well the Tower of Orthanc does. Yes it has awesome minifigures, but people want it for either a double gate like the movie or for around their Tower of Orthanc. I would of thought this would be a great set without Orthanc but I parted some out and now I understand people like Mouth of Saruman because it's unique and very cool. They also want the gate, especially in quantity. The rest of the set isn't really that great of a seller unless you offload the stuff for cheap.

If it is EOL now, it may hit MSRP or a bit higher, on average, by end of next year and could sell for $75ish toward the end of the Christmas buying frenzy in 2015. I think it will be a while before it hits $100.

It's really a shame that this seems to be the end of the LOTR theme. Why Chima can get a mammoth and LOTR can't have an Oliphaunt (or Faramir, or Eowyn, or a Nazgul, etc etc) is beyond me. :crying:

• Like 1

If it is EOL now, it may hit MSRP or a bit higher, on average, by end of next year and could sell for $75ish toward the end of the Christmas buying frenzy in 2015. I think it will be a while before it hits $100.

It's really a shame that this seems to be the end of the LOTR theme. Why Chima can get a mammoth and LOTR can't have an Oliphaunt (or Faramir, or Eowyn, or a Nazgul, etc etc) is beyond me. :crying:

We just need Disney to make a cartoon LOTR show and then we'd be inundated with sets from the show...