Putting used sets together without manual

Guest betsy805

Guest betsy805

Hi all, 

I've bought another used lot of lego and after sorting it all and putting the minifigures together, I went about figuring out what sets they came from.  Now I've got a long list of lego sets to put back together, but the problem is that these are all older sets (think 1990's-2002) and the manuals didn't have an inventory list at the end of them.  Do you know of a good website that provides a 'printable' list of inventory pieces?  I'm currently just using toysperiod, but I can't print it or else it would be 15 pages alone for each sets' inventory!!  Not actually sure this exists, but it would sure be a huge time saver!

I'm not sure Brickset is going to have an inventory list for older sets.  Try Bricklink.com's inventory pages.  They are excellent and have the inventory for most, if not all, old sets.  For example, here's the inventory list for Eldorado's Fortress: 

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=6276-1

Printing the list will be quite a few pages, but the inventories are excellent.

Guest betsy805

Thanks all!  I've found brickset to be missing quite a few pieces for the older sets, ie only showing 49 of 74 pieces for the 6718 set.  Hadn't thought to try rebrickable or bricklink though!

You can also use the LEGO Customer Service Instructions database. They have the complete manual, but some of the bigger instruction manuals take forever to load.

Edit: I should add that the LEGO CS database doesn't have all sets in there, funnily enough. They have almost all of them from the last 10 or so years.

Rebrickable is definitely the best website. It is harder to find it on bricklink

How is it hard to find on Bricklink?  Just type in the set number and click on Inventory.  BL can be a bit cumbersome to someone that is just learning to use it, but it is extremely easy once you get to know the site.  I'm sure I would say the same thing, though, about a site I was unaccustomed to.

Guest betsy805

It's frustrating that they show different inventories!  For example, putting together the super simple 4818 set, toysperiod.com has a white minifig feathered headdress plume as part of the inventory while rebrickable doesn't.  Without the manual I'm not sure if anyone would actually notice, but I have to wonder if this was actually part of the set, or just something random that toysperiod threw in there.

It's frustrating that they show different inventories!  For example, putting together the super simple 4818 set, toysperiod.com has a white minifig feathered headdress plume as part of the inventory while rebrickable doesn't.  Without the manual I'm not sure if anyone would actually notice, but I have to wonder if this was actually part of the set, or just something random that toysperiod threw in there.

Bricklink has verified lists of inventories usually based on multiple people confirming the accuracy.

BL has the headdress listed under 'extra parts' for that set so I'm guessing it was used as a swap out for a different head piece option.

If there is ever conflict and I'm not sure usually I'll download the instructions and check.  Easy for the ones with inventories at the back but for those that don't a step through each page is sometimes needed.  99% of the time though Bricklink is correct.