How much would you pay for one minifigure?

So I a really into Lego sets - not really bulk and minifigs (although I do like a lot of theme). I don't mix things together either because I am weird.

Anyway, I have seen minifigs go for crazy amounts on Ebay, Mr. Gold obviously. So my question is this:

What is the most you would pay for a minifig - to keep and display forever - if it was the rarest of all time (and would stay the rarest)? Obviously staying within your means.

I don't think I could shell out more than $100 for something that small. I am just curious how how many people are that into Minifigs.

i personally collect the mini figures - 

for me, most of the ones i put in my display cases are $50+

for me to spend more on a figure, i have to know that it is at the point where the craze of the figure is over, and it is strait value. For example, i have no problem spending $350 on a gold chrome 3po, but spending $600 on a Mr Gold is not a wise move as of now because the market is still stabilizing for those.

to conclude, i would spend market value on a figure if it was rare, exclusive, and likely not be be reproduced.

i know you will enjoy that new minifig - however, i do feel they will be around $175-250 a year from now

Eh, 2012 SDCC figs are selling for $250. And there were 1000 of each of them. For me, the price was a small amount to pay for the security of actually having the minifig. 

Also, now that I have 1, there are only 199 more that can possibly be sold ever. I think the superman and green arrow 2013 figs will hold value if not rise. Remember, these figs are selling for that amount right now. There are around 30-40 listings for each figure. What happens when there are only two...

It's like buying a piece of artwork... not many people can say they would spend a small fortune for a urinal with a signature on it. Yet, Marcel DuChamp sold it for millions. 

never thought about it that way - once it gets into the hands of the people who want them, and will keep them, 200 is not very many at all.

plus, the ones from SDCC 2012, there are 1000 of them, not only 200 like these

never thought about it that way - once it gets into the hands of the people who want them, and will keep them, 200 is not very many at all.

plus, the ones from SDCC 2012, there are 1000 of them, not only 200 like these

Exactly. This round of figures is 5 times as rare as last years. If last years are selling for $250 right now and that is the "retail" price, then these should technically go for $1250 when all is said and done.

EDIT: "Theoretically".

It depends.  I have spent $30-40 on a couple of Zombie minifigures as I have a small collection of all of them available.  If they came out with I new one that was very rare I might be compelled to buy it but maybe for not more than $100.  

The same for LOTR figures (not Hobbit) as I have all of those.  May even go higher than that - depends on how cool/rare it is.

If I had the cash to burn, I could see myself spending quite a bit on certain limited minfigures but as it is now, I hardly would spend much indeed. Perhaps $10 on a character to complete a series of Collectible Minfigures. For true exclusives, I like the Phoenix, Green Lantern, Spider Woman, Spider-Man Venom, and even Shazam, but I so do not have that kind of money to throw away willy nilly. I could get a lot of regular sets or a couple of big ones for that much.

And I would rather buy a MISB set and get everything than buy the minifigures separately.

• 1 year later...

Depends on the mini fig, and the type of collection, and the individual collector's will power.

I personally would pay up to $100 for a figure that I needed to complete my collection.

Super rare figs, like Gold C3PO and the bronze boba fett, are out of my price range, @ $600 +

Out of interest how many of you collect star wars minifigs?