Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

I always bake my shipping cost into the price of the item and offer free shipping.  It saves a lot of headaches.  I never had to deal with combined shipping, but I have had people complain about shipping costs on their invoice because they "thought" it should cost less to ship.

I always bake my shipping cost into the price of the item and offer free shipping.  It saves a lot of headaches.  I never had to deal with combined shipping, but I have had people complain about shipping costs on their invoice because they "thought" it should cost less to ship.

Even better, on some good days you'll have a buyer purchase 5 items and it will actually save you a considerable amount in shipping cost.

• Like 1

He ended up winning 8 items with a combined shipping weight of 4 lbs. When I sent him the invoice he sent me a very rude reply saying he had expected to pay no more than $5.95 for shipping for an unlimited number of items. His reasoning was that another seller's online store, with fixed-price items, advertised unlimited items shipped for a fixed price of $5.95. 

Was this buyer brand new to ebay and had no clue the cost of what shipping is these days? Getting 8 items at 4 lbs and 'expecting' to only pay only $5.95 is an unrealistice assumption to make. I would have gave them the option to cancel the purchases and walk away if they can't handle a 'fair' combined shipping quote. Sounds like they just want bully you into taking a hit on shipping.

If they still agree on the purchase after you even gave them an the choice to opt out and they still NEG you, then you can go to eBay and show them the PMs that you gave them a few agreeable options and they ultimately agreed to the terms you are selling under. Ebay would likely strike the NEGs off your account.

Just to be clear, these were AUCTIONS. So to bake shipping costs into the item, I would have had to start them at a higher price and they probably wouldn't have sold. I set the shipping price for each individual item at a cost that would more than cover USPS 1st class domestic shipping, with an option for the buyer to pay for expedited shipping. It was an auction, not much else I could do - again, my purpose was to generate sales to move towards being a power seller. I am fine with combining shipping, I'm not here to make money off of shipping (though it *does* happen sometimes, it isn't part of my business strategy).

This is not a new buyer, in fact he is also a seller (I looked him up) so he should have a great idea about the actual costs. I did give him a chance to back out, and he persisted in calling me a cheat. After I explained the cost of the shipping, and that I wasn't willing to take a loss on shipping to match some fixed-price seller's shipping promotion, his messages became "just send me the invoice already," as if I was somehow being unresponsive. So I think he was trying to bully me into taking a loss. I'd like to report him, and if I thought I had a good chance of being able to erase any Neg feedback I probably would. 

Thanks for all the advice so far, I really appreciate it.

Just to be clear, these were AUCTIONS. So to bake shipping costs into the item, I would have had to start them at a higher price and they probably wouldn't have sold. I set the shipping price for each individual item at a cost that would more than cover USPS 1st class domestic shipping, with an option for the buyer to pay for expedited shipping. It was an auction, not much else I could do - again, my purpose was to generate sales to move towards being a power seller. I am fine with combining shipping, I'm not here to make money off of shipping (though it *does* happen sometimes, it isn't part of my business strategy).

This is not a new buyer, in fact he is also a seller (I looked him up) so he should have a great idea about the actual costs. I did give him a chance to back out, and he persisted in calling me a cheat. After I explained the cost of the shipping, and that I wasn't willing to take a loss on shipping to match some fixed-price seller's shipping promotion, his messages became "just send me the invoice already," as if I was somehow being unresponsive. So I think he was trying to bully me into taking a loss. I'd like to report him, and if I thought I had a good chance of being able to erase any Neg feedback I probably would. 

Then this guy was just being a **** and trying to take you for a ride. I would block him after this transaction is complete. If he is a seller and stills leaves you a NEG, buy something really cheap from his auctions and return the favor with a NEG of your own! :shifty:

Guest TabbyBoy

NOBODY types to me like that! I'd just report him right now via eBay chat as you've done nothing wrong and eBay should protect you by terminating the deal.

On UK ebay (don't know about other countries), there is a feedback extortion policy. I had someone threaten, or make a suggestive comment that they may leave me negative feedback and then when they did I contacted ebay and demanded they remove the negative and restore me to 100% positive, under the terms of the policy - which they did. Problem solved.

Then this guy was just being a **** and trying to take you for a ride. I would block him after this transaction is complete. If he is a seller and stills leaves you a NEG, buy something really cheap from his auctions and return the favor with a NEG of your own! :shifty:

A very bad idea and one that can get an account sanctioned and, if the person trying it has pulled enough other shenanigans, shut down.

@Abri, the U.S. has a similar feedback extortion policy. I don't know if stolz's particular idiot actually said clearly, "Do this or I'll neg you" - generally even the stupidest scammer is smart enough not to do that more than once.

I do auctions and a lot of Free shipping.  yes, I set my price a little high but I also set my prices high to begin with for Lego auctions.

There is a bottom I will sell at and that is it. 

Most buyers know there is a cost for shipping and if they see free shipping they know it is built in the price.  Solves this problem because you are shipping and per emails rules they expect to get paid.  How I ship and the cost I pay to ship is my business.

This removes one of the issues with selling  - the easier it is for me the better.

Ah sorry didn't see that.

I would honestly just go away from auctions because of that. Just so many things that can go wrong.

• Like 1

Raise your prices, do free shipping. Don't sell anything that you would take a loss on if you send it across the earth. Believe me it will help.

Then there is no bitching about combined shipping. I will give people a dicount on items through Best Offer if they buy multiple but it certainly isn't required.

Bingo!

I have never had any negative feedback on my sales in almost 500 transactions.  Early on I got lower star ratings for shipping costs and people complaining in messaging to me about my shipping costs and what could I do about it, which I guessed at and put ballparks. I switched almost everything to free shipping, priced the base BIN or auction price higher to cover shipping and had everything show up as free shipping.  It was amazing.  High stars on shipping costs since free, no one complaining or messaging for discounts and I was still covered in what I sold.  It is the only way I want to do any ebay sales now.

Let me guess, the buyer was a Brickpicker?  :devil:

The more I read this thread, the more I feel like offering free shipping from now on and factoring shipping cost into the cost of the item.

Whenever I have any sellers who are rude to me before they bid or buy, like when asking a question, I simply block them. I've learned that life's too short to waste valuable brain cells on such trivial matters, for people of such quality.

I once had a buyer complain and send me a message after he bought something from a Buy It Now listing, saying I was a lowlife (among many other things) simply because the item I was selling was used and HE didn't read my listing properly. I'd listed USED under condition, USED in the description, heck, even put USED in the title of the listing. The irony was this was around the holidays and yes, this was for a Christmas-themed LEGO set.  :santa:

Long story short, I refunded his money right away and blocked him, and called eBay to notify them (they could read the messages, of course) that I don't expect to be treated this way by their "trusted" buyers, and that I certainly and fully expect them to shield me from any negative feedback such a buyer might submit for something that is solely his problem. (In this case, this guy was a LEGO seller too.)

My point is, it can't hurt to call eBay beforehand if you suspect anything. It's worked for me.

The more I read this thread, the more I feel like offering free shipping from now on and factoring shipping cost into the cost of the item.

Whenever I have any sellers who are rude to me before they bid or buy, like when asking a question, I simply block them. I've learned that life's too short to waste valuable brain cells on such trivial matters, for people of such quality.

I once had a buyer complain and send me a message after he bought something from a Buy It Now listing, saying I was a lowlife (among many other things) simply because the item I was selling was used and HE didn't read my listing properly. I'd listed USED under condition, USED in the description, heck, even put USED in the title of the listing. The irony was this was around the holidays and yes, this was for a Christmas-themed LEGO set.  :santa:

Long story short, I refunded his money right away and blocked him, and called eBay to notify them (they could read the messages, of course) that I don't expect to be treated this way by their "trusted" buyers, and that I certainly and fully expect them to shield me from any negative feedback such a buyer might submit for something that is solely his problem. (In this case, this guy was a LEGO seller too.)

My point is, it can't hurt to call eBay beforehand if you suspect anything. It's worked for me.

Holy Cow, ANOTHER Brickpicker!!!!

Free shipping just makes it easier. Do you have times where shipping costs kill your profit?

Yes, if you wear blinders. Overall though it definitely evens out. I prefer BrickLinks method a little better since its regulated as everyone pays shipping, but for Ebay you gotta go Free.

Free shipping just makes it easier. Do you have times where shipping costs kill your profit?

Yes, if you wear blinders. Overall though it definitely evens out. I prefer BrickLinks method a little better since its regulated as everyone pays shipping, but for Ebay you gotta go Free.

When I'd just started selling, my lack of knowledge with respect to shipping prices was cost me quite a bit. Thanks to BP and eBay help forums, I learned what I had to.

Not that there's ever a dull moment with USPS.  :yahoo:  

Can't wait to try BrickLink, I know I've been missing out.

Thanks guys this is quite helpful. I really don't know what my future is with eBay - I'm pretty well established with BrickLink and Amazon and the only way eBay would make sense for me is if I can reach a power seller status - but now with the retraction of free fixed-price listings, I'm not sure it is worth it even to try and get there.

I don't think it was a BrickPicker - the items were used golf discs. But hey, I'm probably not the only flying disc nutjob on this forum so it's a possibility. Regardless, I'm not really in to retribution, I'm a Rom. 12:19 kind of guy, so I'm not going to publish his name - but thanks for the offers! I do think I will report him if he gives me negative feedback, but otherwise I'm just going to leave it alone. If you really do want to block him just because he's a dbag message me and I'll send you the username.

Thanks again!

Guest TabbyBoy

I have my genuine "Mr Nice Guy" eBay account using my real credientials and another old "Trolling & Retribution" account from the old days using someone's old account (who's now dead) that's still active.  I connect anonymously to a PC 7,000 miles away when I plot my revenge.  Only 5% of my sales are on eBay now and I'm going to tell them to shove it up their arse by the Summer.  eBay are the biggest crooks TBH.