If you could only choose 1 existing modular set to invest in, it would be...?

etb546

Well, now that the Town Hall is all of sudden being talked about quite a bit, I guess I should plunker down some serious cash on it! :blum:

On a serious note, I know we really haven't talked much about the Town Hall before but the thing is it has a very long road ahead well away from retirement anytime soon. I'm used to seeing talk springing up anywhere near it seems time for a set to kick the bucket as it were. I think the Town Hall will be phenomenal when it is discontinued for a good number of reasons. Until then, I'm sticking with my original pick of Grand Emporium.

At this stage I would probably say GE but only because I think it will be the next to retire. Both the FB and GE have been around long enough though, it is time to put them both out to pasture.

In the long run, well it all depends which one will have the shortest production run really. I do think the Palace Cinema will be worth plenty in the long run.

Fire Brigade would be my investment choice if it wasn't 4 years old.

I think it might be too soon to answer this question, considering we don't know the lifespan of sets in this theme. Sure, you could go buy a dozen Town Halls, but what happens when Lego decides that every modular gets to sit on shelves for 4 years?

All i can say is i've built the cinema and the brigade. Cinema is okay but not a fun build. Brigade wins.

In the UK market at least I believe this is a good investment set despite its long run. The rrp is

I have not yet got any of this one, its a bit pricey for one but its on my list. When was it released? 2012?

Yep. It was last year's modular house meaning it has a good full five plus years before likely retirement. I would touch it now only if it had an insanely crazy deal like a straight half off or more. It will be a winner but that date is so far away.

Not yet, StarPod. There's plenty of life left in LEGO to produce remakes.

Isn't that what we said about UCS sets? Well lookie there...

The difference would be that with Star Wars LEGO is basing on the actual ship from the movies (X-Wing and so on) so they can't really change much. On the other hand, if they were to decide releasing, say, another Town Hall they would probably change the design even if it would still be called Town Hall. A re-make of the sort we see with UCS will probably not happen.

The difference would be that with Star Wars LEGO is basing on the actual ship from the movies (X-Wing and so on) so they can't really change much. On the other hand, if they were to decide releasing, say, another Town Hall they would probably change the design even if it would still be called Town Hall. A re-make of the sort we see with UCS will probably not happen.

I see. That makes sense, as a lot of the "big" buildings in a LEGO town have been made. They could utterly change all of the buildings to make them better [or worse], but have an entirely different structure because they aren't bound to the storyline and design of anything, to be exact! 

Yep. It was last year's modular house meaning it has a good full five plus years before likely retirement. I would touch it now only if it had an insanely crazy deal like a straight half off or more. It will be a winner but that date is so far away.

I have never seen any of the three modulars for sale as I have on,y seen them on the shelves at the Lego store.

But I have just checked the Brickset EU comparison page; TH is approx 15% off from Italy and GE is approx 10% off, again from Italy. Compared to he UK RRP that is.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldnt invest in any modulars at the moment, FB and GE are most likely to retire first but they are about 4 years old and massively oversold! they are on par with the death star at this point. Maybe hold off and see what happens with the PS, TH and PC, maybe they will have a overall shorter run and better growth potential but to be honest i think at this point the cats out of the bag as far as investing in modular buildings.

ive actually considered returning them to lego for store credit as i just dont see them having a good ROI

I would go with the modular that has been out the longest.  Considering how long it will be before any of them are retired, investing in anything more recent means your money may be tied up for nearly as long of a stretch at least if the past is any indicator of how long the modular shelf lives are.