Open set trading/selling collective

I am sure there are some collectors in the same boat as myself.  I want sets, but I don't have an interest in the box and the instructions to build can be found on the internet easily these days, I just want the contents.  If I can cut down on shipping costs even a little in this process I'm all for it.  I use that as a way of discouraging any potential reselling of sets also since most resellers want sets in a mint condition sealed box.  I can get sets cheap on occassion based on a variety of factors in my area, I would be happy to unbox and ship them out at cost + shipping and associated paypal fees.  I would be willing to do this for other collectors that offer the same arrangement. 

ie I was able to get the 4209 Fire Plane for 19.99.  If there was someone that was interested in it I'm pretty sure unboxed and in a padded envelope or a small box under 12" it can be shipped under 25. 

There may be a thread for this already but it didn't come up in a casual search.  Mods please give this thing a nudge if it needs to be steered someplace else.

Happy hunting!

Sadowsk1 - I think this is a great idea.  I'm with you - the box and instruction books, while nice, don't do a lot for me.  It's the set that I want and will pay for.  My concern with something like this is making sure all the pieces come in the baggie, including stickers.  I suppose if the stickers are used (aka applied), then the stickers don't become an issue.  Sadly, I don't find many deals in my area like this, so my consumption would go the other way.  That said, if people in the collective were to post what they were looking for, you could have a number of eyes looking in a number of markets for one specific set.

The larger the set, the better the shipping savings, I assume.  Would this extend to large sets, or would these mostly be smalls?

All that said, I'm not sure the market for something like this - as you say, most collectors want the box and instructions...

I am sure there are some collectors in the same boat as myself.  I want sets, but I don't have an interest in the box and the instructions to build can be found on the internet easily these days, I just want the contents.  If I can cut down on shipping costs even a little in this process I'm all for it.  I use that as a way of discouraging any potential reselling of sets also since most resellers want sets in a mint condition sealed box.  I can get sets cheap on occassion based on a variety of factors in my area, I would be happy to unbox and ship them out at cost + shipping and associated paypal fees.  I would be willing to do this for other collectors that offer the same arrangement. 

ie I was able to get the 4209 Fire Plane for 19.99.  If there was someone that was interested in it I'm pretty sure unboxed and in a padded envelope or a small box under 12" it can be shipped under 25. 

There may be a thread for this already but it didn't come up in a casual search.  Mods please give this thing a nudge if it needs to be steered someplace else.

Happy hunting!

I would love to be able to do stuff like this easily. Trading would be awesome too - you grab a Jabba, I'll grab a Pirate Ambush. Lol

Sadowsk1 - I think this is a great idea.  I'm with you - the box and instruction books, while nice, don't do a lot for me.  It's the set that I want and will pay for.  My concern with something like this is making sure all the pieces come in the baggie, including stickers.  I suppose if the stickers are used (aka applied), then the stickers don't become an issue.  Sadly, I don't find many deals in my area like this, so my consumption would go the other way.  That said, if people in the collective were to post what they were looking for, you could have a number of eyes looking in a number of markets for one specific set.

The larger the set, the better the shipping savings, I assume.  Would this extend to large sets, or would these mostly be smalls?

All that said, I'm not sure the market for something like this - as you say, most collectors want the box and instructions...

I would say this arrangement would apply to all size of sets.  I think the most difficult part is establishing goodwill and feedback for all participants.  Almost like your membership would be contingent on having a set available for another participant to access to be able to reap the benefits, a give and take system.  Just a stab in the dark on ideas though.

In fact I've got a bunch of 6868 Hulk Breakout Sets that I'd love to trade for something else. Anyone interested?

I still haven't jumped on the 6868 boat so I would be interested, depending what set(s) you were looking for.

We should figure out a way (before the classifieds hopefully adds that feature) for people to post what they were in search of and what they had to currently offer.