Hi from USSR :)

Just kidding :)  I was born there.  Now I'm in Utah.

Hi LEGO lovers!

Nice site and forum, I was surprised there are so many people collecting/investing in LEGO.  I don't consider myself being either one, but rather looking for a small collection of really nice sets to enjoy later with my kids.  I still have several years till we grow up enough :)  But I don't want to be stuck with the sets available at the moment, so decided to start early.  Too bad I missed several really cool sets by a year or two, but hopefully several more will come up this coming years.

I wonder if there are people here who are kinda "old school" LEGO lovers.  I mean people who would prefer original (sorta) LEGO themes, like Town (city), Pirates, Castle, not those based on movies (LOTR, POTC, SW etc).  I don't mean I hate any of those, I just like the other ones better :) 

Probably 'cause that's what I remember from my childhood.  LEGO was not available in SU when I was a kid, so I don't even know HOW our family's friend got that wonderful gift for me - a brand new 710-3: Basic Building Set.  That was the one and only LEGO I had in my childhood.  And it looked like something from a fairy tale, especially compared to those dull soviet building sets.  There was a little catalog brochure there.  So it was really sad for a 7-year-old kid to look at all those other LEGOs which you would never have :) 

Well, I guess when you get your own kids you start thinking of your favorite toys - or toys you wanted so badly being a kid.  That's how I came back to LEGO this year :)

Well, guys, I just want to thank everyone for sharing your experience!  I found so much interesting info here, thank you again!

Hey, welcome to the site! You'd be surprised how many of us have our kids to thank for rekindling our love of Lego.

The vintage Lego is fun, I especially like the old space themes like Blacktron. But you really should explore the newer stuff, Lego has come a loooong way since we were kids :)

Welcome to the site! I spend a little while in Moscow and St. Petersburg two years ago... lovely palaces. 

I'm a huge buyer of vintage sealed Lego sets. My oldest sealed set is from 1963. For some reason I find more appeal in collecting the hardest to find sealed Lego sets, thats just me though! 

It's amazing you just posted this because I just wrote a personal blog article (not published yet) that answers this very question. It's a list of the top ten new "old school" sets. Keep your eye peeled for it - it should be published tonight!

Welcome to the site! I spend a little while in Moscow and St. Petersburg two years ago... lovely palaces. 

Cool, but I'm from Ukraine and never been there :)

Is it true that in Soviet Russia Lego builds you? (jkz)

(sorry, couldn't resist! :P) Welcome to the club!

1st time I hear of :)  What is it about guys

? ??? ? ??? ?????? ??? ? ???????, ?? ? ???? ??????...))))

???, ?????? ?????? ?????? :)  ???????, ? ??? ????.

It's amazing you just posted this because I just wrote a personal blog article (not published yet) that answers this very question. It's a list of the top ten new "old school" sets. Keep your eye peeled for it - it should be published tonight!

Sure will, thanks!

Welcome, Ronda.

Awesome to hear that you got some Lego into your hands and were able to experience the joy of it as a kid. Otherwise you probably wouldn't have had the appreciation and memories that you have now. From the USSR to Utah, eh? Well, I gues they're both cold....

Welcome, Ronda.

Awesome to hear that you got some Lego into your hands and were able to experience the joy of it as a kid. Otherwise you probably wouldn't have had the appreciation and memories that you have now. From the USSR to Utah, eh? Well, I gues they're both cold....

Yeah, Salt Lake here, salt lake (Azov sea) there :D