Advanced building techniques & questions

efonsecab

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

from the looks of it that top rail is loose in this build - not attached

If you were to build this room into a modular or something though, I'd imagine you'd have a wall on the left side, which would at least help lock the floating part in place... it could slip out the far side, but again, if in a house layout, you could easily build something up on the other side of that wall to block it in place fairly easily. The build as is would work if those conditions were met I think?

Just now, Zelgazra said:

If you were to build this room into a modular or something though, I'd imagine you'd have a wall on the left side, which would at least help lock the floating part in place... it could slip out the far side, but again, if in a house layout, you could easily build something up on the other side of that wall to block it in place fairly easily. The build as is would work if those conditions were met I think?

Absolutely - you could double-wall it on both sides and there would be no trouble whatsoever. I was merely saying that in this particular build, that upside-down 1x8 is completely loose.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lordoflego said:

Perfect thread for my question, sorry if it's a stupid one but I only had a technic as a kid, over 25 years ago. What does Lego gearbox do? Like in the new Porsche let's say? So in 1st gear you cant push the car as fast as you could in 4th? 

I cannot watch the video (gives me a playback error all the time) but the gearbox on the 42048 race kart (2 gears and a neutral) merely makes the piston on the engine block move slower or faster. Now of course if you had a motor driving the gears, the speed & torque of the car would change depending on the gear selected, but those are not provided with the 42048 (neither with the Porsche 42056 btw).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I cannot watch the video (gives me a playback error all the time) but the gearbox on the 42048 race kart (2 gears and a neutral) merely makes the piston on the engine block move slower or faster. Now of course if you had a motor driving the gears, the speed & torque of the car would change depending on the gear selected, but those are not provided with the 42048 (neither with the Porsche 42056 btw).

Thanks, I expected that with the motor, but wasn't sure without.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like a 2x2x2 slope, mounted internally on an angle... I don't think the inside studs of the two 1x2 cheese slopes are attached to the piece in question, I think they're floating, covering up the lip of the angled slope. Still trying to work out how it looks inside... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can some of you experts explain (or point me to a place that does) how to create a 4-sided roof that comes together at the top?  Say the house is 20x20 studs.  Each of the roofs would be a triangle 20 studs wide that meet at the top.  I can't seem to figure out how to pull this off.  And to clarify, I'm not wanting to use sloped bricks as shingles.

35 minutes ago, Loghamel said:

Can some of you experts explain (or point me to a place that does) how to create a 4-sided roof that comes together at the top?  Say the house is 20x20 studs.  Each of the roofs would be a triangle 20 studs wide that meet at the top.  I can't seem to figure out how to pull this off.  And to clarify, I'm not wanting to use sloped bricks as shingles.

Could you use a series of Wedge Plates and Plates to make it happen?  You could use Hinge Bricks and Plates to create the slope angle that you need.  You could also do something similar to 7965 for opening/closing and sloping the roof.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...