What area of nerdiness do you specialize in?

Blackjack

What breed of nerd are you?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Some basic choices.

• Star Wars
    • LOTR
    • Video games
    • Comicbooks
    • Movies
    • TV
    • Advanced Lego Knowledge
    • Star Trek

(Please :punish: me if we already have a topic on this, or just yell 'MERGE!')

Obviously, we are all Lego nerds to varying degrees, but you all must have some other area of useless expertise, be it Star Wars, DC, Marvel, games, movies...  I personally am a SW nerd, with some LOTR, Bionicle, and basic comicbook lore on the side.

I'm probably a bigger Godzilla/Kaiju nerd than most. I own every Godzilla film, many import versions, and many other Kaiju related films such as Gamera, Yonggary, and Mothra. I'm an administrator at a site called Monsterland Forums, which is full of fans of sci-fi, horror, and Asian cinema. The fan base for good old fashioned rubber suit monsters isn't very large, so when you meet people who know the films, you often feel like family and engage in some good discussion. I won't link the site here, as I don't want to violate any rules or drive people to a different message board, but look it up if you are into this kind of thing. I co-exist at both sites just fine.

I'm probably a bigger Godzilla/Kaiju nerd than most. I own every Godzilla film, many import versions, and many other Kaiju related films such as Gamera, Yonggary, and Mothra. I'm an administrator at a site called Monsterland Forums, which is full of fans of sci-fi, horror, and Asian cinema.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glkcrtO08XM

I find these fascinating too, but just don't have enough time to learn everything about them, Have a friend who is really into photography though.

I do wedding and portrait photography full time. Self employed for going on 3 years and a full time photographer for 6. My ebay sales really helped bridge the gap in my income when I left the portrait studio that I worked for an branched out on my own. That crap gets crazy expensive when you're at the level I'm at. $3300 for the last camera I bought and $2100 for the last lens I bought.

I do wedding and portrait photography full time. Self employed for going on 3 years and a full time photographer for 6. My ebay sales really helped bridge the gap in my income when I left the portrait studio that I worked for an branched out on my own. That crap gets crazy expensive when you're at the level I'm at. $3300 for the last camera I bought and $2100 for the last lens I bought.

Cameras are unbelievable. Its crazy that with most technology its gets much more inexpensive, but high tech cameras kick that trend

Cameras are unbelievable. Its crazy that with most technology its gets much more inexpensive, but high tech cameras kick that trend

Typically they stay about the same will inflation. That lens I bought, the model that it replaced was introduced 12 years ago and I'm sure considering inflation it was probably about the same price. Over the years as it had been out longer Canon kept lowering the price to about $1200 when it was discontinued last year. Same with cameras but on a shorter lifespan of 3-5 years. Cameras that were $3k five years ago sell used for $500 today.

My 18 year-old sister is a self employed photographer who has had her own business for three years I think.  She likes the whole candid outdoors kind of photography.  Do you do more studio or more unstructured shoots?

Vintage Star Wars Kenner prototype vehicles.  Two years ago, I found a Sandcrawler that works w/ a prototype remote and then a Micro Collection  Millennium Falcon. 

The Sandcrawler is awesome (missing a lot of production detail) while the Falcon is just missing some interior detail.

This is one of the poll where being able to select multiple answer will benefit everyone.

By the way, where is the option for anime and manga ? I consider myself rather knowledgable in anime, manga, and cartoons from specific era (80s, 90s and early 2000). I have enough knowledge on Star Trek and super heroes to bluff my way around a Trek convention or a comicon :)

Oh and I play those geeky turn based strategy games like Civilizations, Colonization, Total Wars

Guest ph4tb0i

Computing History, Computer databases / database theory, trains, and now Lego.

Wife is a big European history nerd.  

I've got to say, I'm not really your typical Lego guy.  I'm not into gaming, Star Wars, LotR(to the extent that I know all the names, places, etc.), cartoons, etc. I'm more of a go to work, come home, throw on some baseball, grab and beer, and hang out person.  Doing my Lego investing is definitely my "nerd" thing, if you really want to call it nerdy.  I think it's more relaxing than anything. 

I will say, though, I have gotten into Mafia games on Eurobricks, so that could be my nerd thing.  They are a lot of fun and make you use your noggin.

I am a DC Comics mega nerd!! I've been reading Batman comics since I was in diapers!! I can answer any DC question you guys can think up. I'm also into The Elder Scrolls, Star Trek, LOTR, and I was for the longest time a Pokemon nerd. ( Just stopped playing Pokemon 3 years ago.)