Lego vs Play Doh for kids

weakside

I know Play Doh has a fan base too...even adult collectors I think.  Anyways, my wife bought another play doh set (breakfast theme) for my 3.5yr old son and he enjoyed it a lot.  Maybe it's just me but I don't like it at all haha.  I told her to never buy play doh again since it's messy, pieces dries up too quickly and the clean up is a pain.  At least with Lego you just pick up the bricks and it's done...play doh has just too many little bits you have to sweep/vaccum/clean up after and the colours eventually combine together.  I realize as long as the kids are having fun and I guess play doe has some benefits but still :P   

Any other members out there whether you're a parent or not 'hate' play doh?   

Lots of people have good memories of play doh...I can see kids love to create things and see the product develop right before their eyes.  Maybe i don't have OCD with Lego but with play doh I dislike seeing colour pieces mixed up together or creations just sitting out drying up lol.  The best play doh set would probably be the barber shop one where you can cut some 'hair'.   

Another positive is you can also make homemade play doh too...the teachers at my son's daycare/preschool does that.     

Edible Peanut Butter Play Dough was the best!

I didn't know this existed, but the thought of edible play-doh just doesn't sit well with me. So you can eat something that you and probably many others have been holding in your hands for extended periods of time, sweating, dropping on the floor, sneezing on, etc.? Just sounds like a bacterial nightmare.

But I guess that's a sign that I've grown up, if I'm thinking about that part of it. Working in a hospital doesn't help. 

^the germaphobe in feels play doh is 'germy' for sure.  Doesn't soft surfaces hold more germs? You can wash your hands, bricks...but not play doh. 

*maybe they still sell gummy worms/keys in local variety stores (haven't been inside one for ages!) but as a kid I remember paying 5cents or something and just putting my grubby hands into the container and picking out a gummy worm or red big foot.  The container would usually just sit there too without a cover haha.  Maybe now they have a tong or something but what kid would use that.  Some germs are good for you they say to build up your immune system...off topic but seems like there are more reported allergies now than before. 

I didn't know this existed, but the thought of edible play-doh just doesn't sit well with me. So you can eat something that you and probably many others have been holding in your hands for extended periods of time, sweating, dropping on the floor, sneezing on, etc.? Just sounds like a bacterial nightmare.

But I guess that's a sign that I've grown up, if I'm thinking about that part of it. Working in a hospital doesn't help. 

Man, I ate regular Play Doh. non-edible.

I have fond childhood memories of freshly made Play-Doh right out of the oven. Did anyone else's mom make Play-Doh when they were a kid?

My wife makes our kids homemade play doh, she started when we realized we had to replace the authentic stuff almost every time they played with it because so much gets lost in little bits all over the floor or it dries out.

She also makes this really cool slime out of borax and glitter glue, they have a ball with it.

Also, why is every play doh set these days all about food? Kind of ironic, considering you're not supposed to eat it...

Play-Doh is a substance created in the deepest pits of hell. I absolutely loathe it.

I got a case of 15 for like 5 bucks for my little girl. Even when I only limited her to 2 colors at a time max, she managed to stick it to just about every surface in the house, aside from the globs of mixed color.

She forgot about bits here and there, and it stuck and dried to the carpets, walls, etc. It is truly one of the least forgiving childrens toys I've ever experienced.

I would rather step on one thousand LEGOs than give my daughter another tub of that sinister, evil putty.

Play-Doh is a substance created in the deepest pits of hell. I absolutely loathe it.

I got a case of 15 for like 5 bucks for my little girl. Even when I only limited her to 2 colors at a time max, she managed to stick it to just about every surface in the house, aside from the globs of mixed color.

She forgot about bits here and there, and it stuck and dried to the carpets, walls, etc. It is truly one of the least forgiving childrens toys I've ever experienced.

I would rather step on one thousand LEGOs than give my daughter another tub of that sinister, evil putty.

To me it sounds like Children are the real issue here.

ProTip: play with it outside B)