Tower of Orthanc > Red Wing X-Wing

Ed Mack

50 displays, wow. And I thought storage space for boxed sets is intense.

Also, aside from displays, some of the promotional material and banners/posters catch my eye as well.

I'm going to try to get a hold of the LEGO Star Wars electronic displays out at the Walmarts by me right now. It's got an X-Wing with some lighted dots leading to Yoda who has a very large LEGO-style lightsaber that lights up.

Yes, it's a passion. Check out a seller by the name of toysondisplay on eBay. He is a equipment liquidator that resells the displays. I have the full sized Chima and Ninjago Spinner 4 foot displays from him and numerous smaller sets. His shipping of these large items is superb.

Due to the risk involved in circumventing the store policy of destroying it or returning it to LEGO, I'm sure the people who put their jobs on the line to sell these to individuals make sure they get handsomely compensated.

Fair enough. My surprise wasn't really a reaction to the seller's expectations. It was more about the realization that I can't afford it lol

It's always nice to see pics of your son, Ed. He reminds me of the very reason why you get into Lego to begin with. A little funny how your son and Lego's mascot character have the same name, and I have a feeling both share the same kind of imaginative creativity.

Tower of Orthanc is an absolute work of devilishly appealing art. The X-wing is good but has been beat to death time over again to the point of "Who cares?" even if it is a signature spaceship. Horizon Express stands out very nicely and Palace Cinema is not too shabby. If I could only choose one, it would be the Tower with the train coming in second.

It's always nice to see pics of your son, Ed. He reminds me of the very reason why you get into Lego to begin with. A little funny how your son and Lego's mascot character have the same name, and I have a feeling both share the same kind of imaginative creativity.Tower of Orthanc is an absolute work of devilishly appealing art. The X-wing is good but has been beat to death time over again to the point of "Who cares?" even if it is a signature spaceship. Horizon Express stands out very nicely and Palace Cinema is not too shabby. If I could only choose one, it would be the Tower with the train coming in second.

Max is a max at everything. Max pain in the butt and maximum fun all wrapped up into one.

Helicopter hats is where big bad mama draws the line. However, they are allowed to wear those hats with the clapping hands. They applaud witty repartee and waiters who get orders correct without writing them down.

Awesome! They can hang out with my kid anytime!

• Like 1

I was definitely impressed with the tower, but in trying to invest in things I'm passionate about, LOTR isn't one of them... and I'm trying to overcome that on the earnings potential, but without being a fan myself, it is hard to gauge what will be valuable over the long term in comparison to SW sets. I have picked up the Horizon Express, Sopwith Camel and chess sets because again, these interest me and seem like long term winners. My heart has trouble with the LOTR sets purely from a fan perspective... I wish I could better understand the demand on these. I mean, are there historical sets to look at that show huge investment return? Could just be my inexperience talking so don't attack all at once. I'm slowly building some of my sets too so I can fully realize what brings people to hunt them down after retirement and pay top dollar, and I can say that the R2D2 set to me, is so far, the best one I own that I plan to buy many more of... what an amazing and fun build that was!

I don't have the original UCS X-Wing and although I'll pick up the remake I do agree with others that Orthanc is more impressive. My opinion is slightly biased though, LotR is easily my favorite theme. I'll admit though LotR has a long way to go in terms of crazy UCS sets to be in the same league as some of the Star Wars sets.

There was a very nice young salesman at the store trying to educate an old fart like me about LEGO sets. If he only knew who he was speaking to...LOL

Surprisingly/not surprisingly, my LEGO store employees have heard of BrickPicker. I was at one store (Woodfield Mall) and the LEGO employee was using BrickLink instead of the regular LEGO website because he claimed it was faster.

The 60014 Coast Guard Patrol was another standout set IMO. Way larger than expected.

Saw this one at Target. Great set, and a very impressive set.

I too think this is a great set. I was always under the impression Lego was going to avoid making anything military... The Coast Guard IS considered the fifth branch of military here... could we get other sets soon or do they consider the "rescue" portion of their charter more than they do their defense budget? ;)

Either way, I think I'll eventually pick this one up. I like the number of items it comes with... and I think the sharks are kind of cool too.

Surprisingly/not surprisingly, my LEGO store employees have heard of BrickPicker. I was at one store (Woodfield Mall) and the LEGO employee was using BrickLink instead of the regular LEGO website because he claimed it was faster.

Wait, what? Using BrickLink for what? Faster at what? Good old BrickLink is great, but I wouldn't count speed nor ease of use among its strong points...

I was definitely impressed with the tower, but in trying to invest in things I'm passionate about, LOTR isn't one of them... and I'm trying to overcome that on the earnings potential, but without being a fan myself, it is hard to gauge what will be valuable over the long term in comparison to SW sets. I have picked up the Horizon Express, Sopwith Camel and chess sets because again, these interest me and seem like long term winners. My heart has trouble with the LOTR sets purely from a fan perspective... I wish I could better understand the demand on these. I mean, are there historical sets to look at that show huge investment return? Could just be my inexperience talking so don't attack all at once. I'm slowly building some of my sets too so I can fully realize what brings people to hunt them down after retirement and pay top dollar, and I can say that the R2D2 set to me, is so far, the best one I own that I plan to buy many more of... what an amazing and fun build that was!

I agree with this when talking about the first wave of LOTR sets that were released.  The most recent releases are much improved.  The UCS R2-D2 set is a fantastic set...one of the best that was ever created IMO.

I like the idea, but I struggle to see how it will be possible?  The tower gets thinner as it gets near the top.  If it means anything, I do also plan to try something like this too... So I'm not trying to bash your idea.

Unfortunately the tower isnt perfectly cut in half so you cant just buy two and be done, it will take quite a bit of modification to make each side of the tower the same that or you end up with a tower thats has a plan view of a rectangle instead of a square. If i do remove some peices from both to allow for it to be square i will have some left over pieces and might be able to add another floor, that would be sweet :thumbsup:

Some people really get into LOTR, just like Star Wars or any other iconic fictional story. With atleast two more movies to come i foresee LOTR being a good investment. LOTR is primarily play sets aand lacks the UCS that starwars has, but sets like the tower  and helms deep help make up for this.