Tower of Orthanc > Red Wing X-Wing

Ed Mack

I usually have rainy days off from work, so my wife Jane and son Max decided to take a ride to the Freehold Raceway Mall to see the new LEGO store.  I had a 10% off coupon to burn so I decided to buy the new 10240 X-Wing so I could compare it to the old 7191.  I have to say, just from looking at the displays in the front window, I was not that impressed with the new X-Wing. 

What I was impressed with was the new 10237 Tower of Orthanc.  What a wonderful LEGO model.  Both sets are $200, yet the Tower of Orthanc was worth every penny, while the X-Wing looked like the old 7191.  Now I'm sure the new X-Wing will still be a viable investment since many new fans do not have the iconic 7191, but to be quite honest, I think the B-Wing is a better buy and better looking set at this point.  

After looking at the Tower of Orthanc, I have to say that is the set to sink some serious cash into.  It's one of the nastiest and best display sets I have ever seen.  It almost looks like an Evil version of the Eiffel Tower.  Very cool.  The Lord of the Rings sets are going to have a banner year...

max_at_lego_store_new.jpg

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

Definitely agreed. I'm a fan of both film franchises (perhaps a bit partial to LOTR), and although both models are out of my price range, I can tell by pictures that Orthanc is the better of the two. Upon their respective releases, I found both sets met moderate to above average criticism, Orthanc for not being fully enclosed (and being a big black tower) and the new X-Wing being a bit underwhelming. I'm going to put my guess in now and say that it's likely that Orthanc will do as good as, or better than Harry Potter's Diagon Alley (which is enjoying a healthy ~20% CAGR). The tower is just so impressive in size and detail that its open back and utter blackness are forgiven in my view. I hope I can save up and buy one before its gone...

p.s. I thought the LOTR boat looked even cooler in the store as well.

The boat is nice, I just built it over the weekend, but it doesn't quite live up to the Black Pearl or QAR.  I have them all displayed next to each other.  Now if only I had the 10210...  :crying:

I have been itching to get an Orthanc.  But I'm trying to be disciplined and wait for a discount.  I keep telling myself I have plenty of other things to build at present and this can wait, but there is an empty spot on my shelf I've reserved for that tower and it just looks so bare without it.

Im planning to buy two, planning to do a slight modification so they can be placed back to back with a hinge, its going to be an overwhelming sight :sweat:

That's a great idea, Spartikis.  Post some pics of the double tower when you finish it!

That's a great idea, Spartikis.  Post some pics of the double tower when you finish it!

I like the idea, but I struggle to see how it will be possible?  The tower gets thinner as it gets near the top.  If it means anything, I do also plan to try something like this too... So I'm not trying to bash your idea.

There was a very nice young salesman at the store trying to educate an old fart like me about LEGO sets. If he only knew who he was speaking to...LOL

That awkward moment when you are a young Lego salesman and you are unknowingly trying to educate the King of Lego about Legos

The 60014 Coast Guard Patrol was another standout set IMO. Way larger than expected.

It's things like this that make me wish retailers got to carry more displays.

That and allowing the public to legitimately buy said displays when their usefulness has ended.

It seems every LEGO set display spontaneously comes into existence and then mysteriously vanishes. If you try to find out where to buy one, you're treated like you're a thief, a mooch, or like you're asking about a myth. I swear, LEGO displays are only traded in some whispered hallway or dark alley by shady inside contacts.

I've heard people say they get thrown out, destroyed, that the LEGO vendor takes them, that management decides what to do with them, or some combination of these.

I suppose, though, that their scarcity is what really gives them value, considering hot glued LEGO has limited use...

Wow I got off topic. Sorry. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I'll be heading to a LEGO store. Isengard is not safe from my wallet.

It's things like this that make me wish retailers got to carry more displays.

That and allowing the public to legitimately buy said displays when their usefulness has ended.

It seems every LEGO set display spontaneously comes into existence and then mysteriously vanishes. If you try to find out where to buy one, you're treated like you're a thief, a mooch, or like you're asking about a myth. I swear, LEGO displays are only traded in some whispered hallway or dark alley by shady inside contacts.

I've heard people say they get thrown out, destroyed, that the LEGO vendor takes them, that management decides what to do with them, or some combination of these.

I suppose, though, that their scarcity is what really gives them value, considering hot glued LEGO has limited use...

Wow I got off topic. Sorry. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I'll be heading to a LEGO store. Isengard is not safe from my wallet.

I'm a LEGO display expert. There were plenty of great displays there. But you will never see a true LEGO store display for sale. They are destroyed. While there might be a rare LEGO store display that hits the streets, I believe the LEGO store managers fear for their jobs and will follow orders to destroy or turn them back in.

Now, Target displays and TRU LEGO displays are another story. Many employees will take these displays and either keep them for themselves or resell them on eBay. Even the store equipment liquidators that get paid to destroy them will resell them. I have about 50 or so of these displays and I just love them. LEGO should resell them to the public. It's a shame to destroy such pieces of "art."

50 displays, wow. And I thought storage space for boxed sets is intense.

Also, aside from displays, some of the promotional material and banners/posters catch my eye as well.

I'm going to try to get a hold of the LEGO Star Wars electronic displays out at the Walmarts by me right now. It's got an X-Wing with some lighted dots leading to Yoda who has a very large LEGO-style lightsaber that lights up.

I have the Tower, but I have not had time to complete it due to some home repairs taking all my time and energy :sleep: . I do have the Ent  built and he is awesome very sturdy and stable. I also have first 2 floors built, 19 stickers, not a fan of putting stickers on, but love all the detail they bring to the set, . Lost 2 days of Brickpicker, so choosing to catch up on here and then maybe I'll can build some later.

I want the vertical display of the Sith Interceptor and the Republic Starfighter that Target has. Very cool. I saw one on ebay and the seller wanted $275 for it!

Due to the risk involved in circumventing the store policy of destroying it or returning it to LEGO, I'm sure the people who put their jobs on the line to sell these to individuals make sure they get handsomely compensated.