ebay rant

Lateral-G

I didn't know there were limits - although I doubt I will hit them. I'm gonna check into that though.

Good thread.

I'm going to bet that your overall account limit is $1k per month, with likely lower limits in some categories and for some items.

Because someone will ask, having a store does not automatically erase your limits.

I ship internationally all the time. Usually it's the really large and expensive items. I offer free shipping to continental 48 and have a flat fee on my listings for worldwide. Usually it's $60-70 and people around the world pay that all the time. I only ship when I'm able to track and insure. I've learned a few hard reasons but when I can sell a used Market St Modular for $800 to someone in Australia hours after listing I'm happy. 

It's definitely a learning process. Australia, UK & Canada are pretty safe to ship to.

If at all possible I try to use ebay's ship cover insurance and I've had to file more domestic claims for damaged items than I've had to file missing item claims for international shipments.

I've been selling on ebay for almost 10 years (since I was a teenager) and they continue to make things better. The new global shipping program is really really nice for US sellers. Emes says it much more expensive but it also means you don't have to worry about it arriving overseas if you can get it safely to their processing facility. If you're not offering any international shipping at all you should at least offer that even if it's more expensive for the buyer it doesn't make a difference for you as the seller. I offer my own flat rate shipping and the global program and I reserve the right to not ship items if they can't be tracked and insured. My listing says if they think the flat rate is too high for their country I'm happy to give them a custom shipping quote.

I think this is well-said, and I agree that it doesn't hurt people who are willing to ship domestically to go ahead and click that they will participate in GSP. At the end of the day you're still shipping domestic.

My problem with participating in GSP is that it dramatically increases shipping costs to the buyer, which potentially makes your items less attractive than those shipped by a seller who's willing to handle his own international shipping.

If you do GSP, make sure you read the terms. If you ship GSP make sure you offer free shipping to the US Shipping Center. If you do then you get automatic 5 stars on DSRs for shipping chargers. If you do not, then sellers will be able to rate your shipping charges, and you'll take a hit because GSP is expensive.

I think this is well-said, and I agree that it doesn't hurt people who are willing to ship domestically to go ahead and click that they will participate in GSP. At the end of the day you're still shipping domestic.

My problem with participating in GSP is that it dramatically increases shipping costs to the buyer, which potentially makes your items less attractive than those shipped by a seller who's willing to handle his own international shipping.

If you do GSP, make sure you read the terms. If you ship GSP make sure you offer free shipping to the US Shipping Center. If you do then you get automatic 5 stars on DSRs for shipping chargers. If you do not, then sellers will be able to rate your shipping charges, and you'll take a hit because GSP is expensive.

Good point! I didn't think of that. I already offer free shipping in the US so not a problem. I've had a handful of GSP transactions and so far it's been ship it and forget it. We'll see how it continues to go.

Guest betsy805

Yeah I also only ship domestically for now, although eBay's Global Shipping program sounds nice, I haven't gotten the stones to try it out yet.

I have mine set up so that anyone buying who isn't shipping to a domestic address can't bid or buy, but I've had people get around that. Someone in China bought of my PoTC Queen Anne's revenge boats, but had it shipped to some US address that I guess he has access to. If they want to do it that way then whatever.

I did GSP once, but then decided to remove the setting as the international bidders have learned to 'avoid' people selling overseas using that program.  The fees they charge are astronomical!  I do ship internationally because even if they don't win the auction, the international bidders 'bid up' the item higher than it would be otherwise.  Haven't had a problem yet with the shipping, but I'm sure I will at some point.  I ONLY ship Priority international though.

I ONLY ship Priority international though.

Be careful. USPS Priority only tracks to customs. The buyer can still claim they didn't receive it and you'll have no way to prove otherwise. I verified this with USPS. When shipping international we only use USPS Express Mail International.

Guest betsy805

Be careful. USPS Priority only tracks to customs. The buyer can still claim they didn't receive it and you'll have no way to prove otherwise. I verified this with USPS. When shipping international we only use USPS Express Mail International.

good to know! Thanks

I've shipped things before internationally but the majority of those items are to people that I am familiar with on other hobby boards I participate on. At least there you can call out on a bad buyer and receive some community support. There are plenty of horror stories out there from other friends and acquanticences I know where they are burned when shipping to certain countries. With ebay you don't have the confidence of knowing the buyer (even if they have stellar feedback and ratings) and paypal favors the buyer over the seller when there is a dispute. I'm sure a lot of know people that have had their paypal accounts frozen during a dispute.

Shipping internationally just adds another level of complexity and potential aggrevation the casual seller doesn't need.

and emes, I'm not really blaming ebay, even though you seem to think I am. ebay can do whatever they want, it's their business. What is disappointing to me as an ebay user is seeing how ebay has changed and morphed over the years from what they initially were; a place where the average joe could buy and sell their items with a casual undertone. I still stick with my statement that ebay is now more geared towards large volume sellers that can abosorb the fees and logistics better than the small user (the ones that helped ebay become what it is). I can go off on a whole tangent about their fees and pricing model but that's another topic for another day.

...and emes, I'm not really blaming ebay, even though you seem to think I am. ebay can do whatever they want, it's their business. What is disappointing to me as an ebay user is seeing how ebay has changed and morphed over the years from what they initially were; a place where the average joe could buy and sell their items with a casual undertone. I still stick with my statement that ebay is now more geared towards large volume sellers that can abosorb the fees and logistics better than the small user (the ones that helped ebay become what it is). I can go off on a whole tangent about their fees and pricing model but that's another topic for another day.

In all seriousness, this is exactly why the Personal Blog feature was created.  I would urge you to collect your thoughts (it appears you have some strong feelings on eBay's recent evolution) and post them.  I, for one, would be very interested to hear your experience/dissatisfaction with eBay fees and pricing model, particularly how they compare to older pricing models.

I'm going to bet that your overall account limit is $1k per month, with likely lower limits in some categories and for some items.

Because someone will ask, having a store does not automatically erase your limits.

when you say account limits, do you mean you only have $1K to earn a month?

If I choose to NOT sell to international buyers it's not because I don't like you or am prejudiced or anything, it's because I don't like dealing with the hassles that go along with shipping internationally. Or having to deal with problems that may arise because your parcel wasn't delivered for whatever reason that is beyond my control.

I'm with ya.  i saw a few people mentioned that you can eliminate countries from bidding (I do this with most auctions).  however, some nice money can be made shipping internationally.  it is just a pain in the rear end.

I love shipping internationally. People are willing to pay a premium!

me too! Even if I have a bad sale here at there I still make more money. It's always a learning process on how to avoid problems though. 

Snowcrash. Ebay has to be geared towards volume selling because those people are where all their money comes from. That doesn't mean casual users can't jump in. But you're right there are a lot more things to learn then back in the day.

The other thing is international shipping by nature is tricky. Other countries have different regulations changing all the time and Ebay and our shipping services have to constantly change to keep up.

I did GSP once, but then decided to remove the setting as the international bidders have learned to 'avoid' people selling overseas using that program.  The fees they charge are astronomical!  I do ship internationally because even if they don't win the auction, the international bidders 'bid up' the item higher than it would be otherwise.  Haven't had a problem yet with the shipping, but I'm sure I will at some point.  I ONLY ship Priority international though.

I won't buy anything that ships using GSP. I'll just find another auction or pass... It's wayyyy too expensive and I am one of those international buyers who will pay a premium for something I want badly enough. I also won't buy an auction that ships using UPS.

I know eBay advertises it as a way to increase your customer base, but let's face it - it was a way for them to make more money by charging brokerage fees to do the internal customs paperwork a seller normally does themselves. UPS charges around $35-$55 for brokerage .. and there is no way it costs that much. The only advantage is that UPS is unlikely to lose the package crossing the border into Canada whereas USPS and Canada Post seem to have a less formal tracking mechanism which can cause delays and losses.

Yeah I also only ship domestically for now, although eBay's Global Shipping program sounds nice, I haven't gotten the stones to try it out yet.

I have mine set up so that anyone buying who isn't shipping to a domestic address can't bid or buy, but I've had people get around that. Someone in China bought of my PoTC Queen Anne's revenge boats, but had it shipped to some US address that I guess he has access to. If they want to do it that way then whatever.

There are ways to "teach" ebay that your shipping address is a US address even though if you looked at your profile it says otherwise. You can't have it both ways though and have to get ebay to "unlearn" it when you want to ship to your real address. You can do it when your eBay account is linked to your PayPal account.

I've done it with quite a few auctions, but 99% of the time I email (through ebay) the seller and make sure it's OK. I have had one seller ask me not to bid, but usually I mention that I know the risks associated with shipping to another address and that I won't hold the seller responsible. I know it's just words, but if the sellers saves my message it would only help them if there was a problem.

how is fedex shipping internationally from the US? 

Cheaper than UPS to Canada but still more expensive than USPS.

The ONLY advantage UPS has over FedEx and USPS is that they will ship the larger (by dimensional weight) and heavier items. When you get into those items, then the brokerage fee will usually become irrelevant because of how much shipping is anyways!

And yes, I've learned it the hard way and so has the other adult in the house even after I explained it to her!

As a side note, companies like DHL are also a ripoff when you buy from overseas and have it ship to NA.