Gold plummets - Buy or Wait?

Willy-

I suggest if you can't bring any information to the table without insulting other members, then leave it to yourself.  If you are into commodities and have a good idea about the subject, whether as a hobby or professionally, then teach others what you know, don't insult them because you know more(or think you do) about the subject than others.  There is such a thing as being tactful about correcting someone if they are mistaken.  The "no offense, but" doesn't work for me.  Thanks.

• Like 5

Willy-

I suggest if you can't bring any information to the table without insulting other members, then leave it to yourself.  If you are into commodities and have a good idea about the subject, whether as a hobby or professionally, then teach others what you know, don't insult them because you know more(or think you do) about the subject than others.  There is such a thing as being tactful about correcting someone if they are mistaken.  The "no offense, but" doesn't work for me.  Thanks.

Agreed.  Well said Huskers.

If you think gold prices are dropping due to inflation fears.......you should not be investing in commodities--because that is completely wrong, and makes no sense.

While Willy might be a little rough around the edges, which impacts the value of his message, there is value in what he is saying. I tend to think of high inflation occurring when too many dollars are chasing too few goods and services. While Grolim is right, much new money has been created over the last several years, available goods and services have kept pace, which is why the inflation rate in the US is currently between 1.75% and 2%. Gold is a decent investment during times of high inflation because generally a unit of gold can purchase a consistent amount of underlying product. As we've seen the last few years, it can also be a good investment in times of high volatility and risk.

Gold this morning is at $1298 per ounce. I would buy gold if it drops below $500 per ounce, provided there is not some technical advance that makes gold irrelevant in manufacturing and electronics (which there won't be). In any event, even if it doesn't drop to below $500 per ounce, it likely will continue to lose value.

While Willy might be a little rough around the edges, which impacts the value of his message, there is value in what he is saying. I tend to think of high inflation occurring when too many dollars are chasing too few goods and services. While Grolim is right, much new money has been created over the last several years, available goods and services have kept pace, which is why the inflation rate in the US is currently between 1.75% and 2%. Gold is a decent investment during times of high inflation because generally a unit of gold can purchase a consistent amount of underlying product. As we've seen the last few years, it can also be a good investment in times of high volatility and risk.

Gold this morning is at $1298 per ounce. I would buy gold if it drops below $500 per ounce, provided there is not some technical advance that makes gold irrelevant in manufacturing and electronics (which there won't be). In any event, even if it doesn't drop to below $500 per ounce, it likely will continue to lose value.

Emes, I know we have had our disagreements, but I am curious as to what you feel about the current state of the "money multiplier" in the country?  According to the link below, it sits at 0.790.  I know this doesn't directly relate to Gold, but it does have some relevance in the discussion.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/MULT

I don't invest in gold, silver, or gemstones. It's the principle of the matter. First, let me concede a good point: yes, some precious metals and stones are used for practical purposes. My point is: most of what we dig up is used to look good. And there's lots of it. Diamond: one of the strongest, most durable materials on Earth, and 97% of it is wrapped around fingers, just sitting there, like it's worth something. And they're everywhere. How can something be considered rare when it's literally everywhere? Same with gold, silver, rubies, topaz, whatever. None of this stuff has been rare since 1492.

I'm no expert on precious commodities, these are just my observations. To me, the luxury and status awarded to otherwise useful minerals is just another hint that humans are doing it wrong.

So the very definition of inflation is that it takes more "dollars" to buy the same goods--in this case gold. So someone posts a ridiculous take on a news story..completely missing the point...and we should just play along--or not reply...ok. Got it. I am learning this forum thing.

I don't invest in gold, silver, or gemstones. It's the principle of the matter. First, let me concede a good point: yes, some precious metals and stones are used for practical purposes. My point is: most of what we dig up is used to look good. And there's lots of it. Diamond: one of the strongest, most durable materials on Earth, and 97% of it is wrapped around fingers, just sitting there, like it's worth something. And they're everywhere. How can something be considered rare when it's literally everywhere? Same with gold, silver, rubies, topaz, whatever. None of this stuff has been rare since 1492.

I'm no expert on precious commodities, these are just my observations. To me, the luxury and status awarded to otherwise useful minerals is just another hint that humans are doing it wrong.

Diamonds are much more common than realized.

Dammit willy quit clogging the thread with your butthurt nonsense. You were right, but you were rude. You were called on it, big deal. Let's move on. That goes for the rest of you, too.

Exactly.  It's about being polite.  Please, feel free to be correct, but taking the high road is always best.  Moved on.

Yeah, but why isn't it realized? 97% of this stuff is just sitting there because 97% of human beings have the same mentality as raccoons.

"Ooooooh, shiny!"

We are doomed.

Apathy.  I've come to believe that people simply don't care or are content with the status quo.  That is my best guess?

Yeah, but why isn't it realized? 97% of this stuff is just sitting there because 97% of human beings have the same mentality as raccoons.

"Ooooooh, shiny!"

We are doomed.

Nah, it is the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality.   Some people are just too lazy to do their own research and depend on others to tell them what to buy, how to act, etc etc.  In short, a bunch of :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep: :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

sidenote: I just learned there is a limit to the number of emoticons allowed per post :D

• Like 2

I don't think the problem is the knowledge Willy has, or wether his actual thoughts on the -topic- are worthy, emes.

It's that teaching, sharing or educating someone doesn't have to accompany chastising, belittling, or insulting.

Agreed...however, I think its a relevant topic, and what I was trying to do more than anything was get the discussion back on topic and away from not liking how Willy presents things.

If everyone is confident gold is going significantly lower, why not go short? Watch out for the bear trap though. Blythe and the algos don't play fair...

Personally I don't short sell anything...it's not really my investment style. It's valid, and some people are really good at it, but it's just like with LEGO...some people only buy big sets because that approach fits their style.

• Like 1