What Lego set did you buy today?

I had one last $15.00 off $40.00 coupon to use on Kmart.com. Grabbed these for $16.44 total after redeeming $15.00 in Raise.com points. 58acc04a258d4_ScreenShot2017-02-21at2_32_13PM.thumb.png.cf0a8f6cfb04ae67f8d293284ac39c26.png

Not bad. Will be building some of those Battle Packs, my Kmart has a metric ton of them so that's probably going to be my new go to item for store pickup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaylay said:

Why so many so early?

Buddy of mine asked me to help him with getting few of them... so at least I've got VIP points for free :) One probably is for me. Depends on his final request. It's a flagship creator so highly unlikely It's gonna be discounted anytime soon.

I went to Tru Saturday to buy some Star Wars sets....nothing exciting.... But the manager stopped me on the way out and said he had a box for me that he had been saving. Inside was some assorted Friends polybags , three erector sets,  about 12 assorted baggies with left over build parts and 162 Ninjago polybags . I knew that set wasn't very popular but wow....
IMAG0160.thumb.jpg.65c62fbe1fbb137194fe1cccd58a5650.jpg
IMAG0161.thumb.jpg.b176c89f526f724deeec4385c6bda9e3.jpg

Those are oldies. I'll take them off your hands =)
  • Like 2

Picked up a General Grievous BAF and a Hot Rod polybag from Target. I already own a GG BAF but they're now  50% off of $34.95 at my Target so I picked one up to sell down the line. There are still about 8 on the shelf though. Any thoughts about this one? Any belief that this will be worth something in the future? 

Picked up a General Grievous BAF and a Hot Rod polybag from Target. I already own a GG BAF but they're now  50% off of $34.95 at my Target so I picked one up to sell down the line. There are still about 8 on the shelf though. Any thoughts about this one? Any belief that this will be worth something in the future? 

Probably worth at least $17.47.
  • Like 1

Accounting wise, if I spend $80 in points on a $100 set, it cost me $20 plus tax on my spreadsheet. Rewards points aren't liquid; they have to be spent on product. They also shouldn't accrue for your accounting purposes until you've spent them. What if you get rewards points and then stop buying lego forever? Then the discount you booked on the inventory you already have never actually got...discounted.

Not sure I agree there. This has been discussed multiple times multiple places (reward point accounting), but the way I treat rewards such as TRU or Lego VIP points is a coupon that can only be used at that retailer. If a set is $100 and I have a $15 reward voucher, my purchase price is $85 plus tax. You can't account for the rewards points when you purchase something at a retailer; they come of the purchase price of whatever you actually use it on. Think of it like a coupon; it's not cash you can spend freely anywhere. A $15 reward should be counted the same as an X% off coupon.

...but how about set cost 100 and you use 80 in points...its cost you 20?..but how much you spend to accumulate those points?...i prefer to count towards money spent, like LEGO Shop at Home i buy 100 set cost me 95 cause of points, ???...i stop here. I dont want ppl been mad at me...sorry guys

Honestly, using rewards points is no different than using a discounted gift card. You are basically creating your own discount, just make sure it is not accounted for twice.

A - spend $100, earn $15 in points.
B- spend $100, claim points. Total spent $185 for $200 in product.

A - buy 4x$50 GC for $40.
B - spend $200 using gift cards, total spent is $160 in product.

Both are valid discounts on purchased items and both can be properly accounted for. It is more helpful to post the register price with and without points used as demonstrated in the Kmart thread.

Honestly, using rewards points is no different than using a discounted gift card. You are basically creating your own discount, just make sure it is not accounted for twice.

A - spend $100, earn $15 in points.
B- spend $100, claim points. Total spent $185 for $200 in product.

A - buy 4x$50 GC for $40.
B - spend $200 using gift cards, total spent is $160 in product.

Both are valid discounts on purchased items and both can be properly accounted for. It is more helpful to post the register price with and without points used as demonstrated in the Kmart thread.

I agree. Reward systems are essentially gift cards. You can only use them at the specified store, they don't have any real cash value, but are extremely useful and completely legal to claim on taxes. Though some point systems like SYW can mess up your sales tax calculations, if you're filing your taxes and your sales receipt says $101.34 paid. It doesn't matter if you used your TRU credit card, discounted GC and Rewards points on the same purchase. You can report $101.34 even if after all is said and done only 25.76 came out of pocket.

In my tax records, QB, I record what the receipt says. In my brickfolio I record what comes out of pocket.
This is important for profit. I paid $25.76 and sell for $125, I pocketed almost $100 profit. But I'm only paying taxes on $24 worth of profit.

I understand the temptation to think double points at LEGO Shop at Home is 10% off, but really that's not what is happening at all. It's also not beneficial to count them as coupons on your tax reports, because then you'll be paying more than is necessary.

2 minutes ago, donbee said:

I agree. Reward systems are essentially gift cards. You can only use them at the specified store, they don't have any real cash value, but are extremely useful and completely legal to claim on taxes. Though some point systems like SYW can mess up your sales tax calculations, if you're filing your taxes and your sales receipt says $101.34 paid. It doesn't matter if you used your TRU credit card, discounted GC and Rewards points on the same purchase. You can report $101.34 even if after all is said and done only 25.76 came out of pocket.

In my tax records, QB, I record what the receipt says. In my brickfolio I record what comes out of pocket.
This is important for profit. I paid $25.76 and sell for $125, I pocketed almost $100 profit. But I'm only paying taxes on $24 worth of profit.

I understand the temptation to think double points at LEGO Shop at Home is 10% off, but really that's not what is happening at all. It's also not beneficial to count them as coupons on your tax reports, because then you'll be paying more than is necessary.

That works only if you don't report the purchase of said giftcard as inventory, I'd think. That, or you need to give me the contact details of your tax accountant :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

That works only if you don't report the purchase of said giftcard as inventory, I'd think. That, or you need to give me the contact details of your tax accountant :)

That is correct, I do not report GCs as inventory. I have a sole proprietor LLC, I haven't filed for it yet this year, but it'll be basically like filing a Schedule C,  we may do that. 
Another example would be if you use your sky miles to pay for a flight for business travel, you would report the value of the miles expended. Even if you didn't exchange any cash. 

Just ordered a 21024 The Louvre Set from Amazon, using their BIGTHANKS promo code.   It's online for $49.49 right now. I threw in some $0.99 Avery Dividers to get it over the $50 mark, since I do use them often at work.  After taxes and such, it comes down to $43.47, which is about 28% off retail.  Couple that with future rewards back of 5% with Amazon Prime Visa Rewards, I save about 33% off for an Architecture Set.  Not a bad morning.

Edited by TANV
Spelling.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ditmarsapt23 said:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure. I'm not really a LEGO investor/reseller. I typically just buy sets that I want to build. But being that these are of a really cool figure and half off, I'm thinking about the resale viability of these.

Just remember that many here have stocked up on the GG/Obi-wan combo pack from Target last year when they were clearancing them for $17. That's your competition once this one finally disappears from shelves.

Guest TabbyBoy

21303 WALL-E from John Lewis (Reading) for £35. None of the shelf so I asked and one of the staff went behind the scenes and found one for me. They had another 4 as of 16:00 today.