Retiring Soon - open speculation

This forum has a search function. I am pretty sure you will find what you are looking for within the last few weeks, or even days. It gets asked so often I wonder why people don't first look for an answer themselves. Anyway, to give my own post some content: both probably this year. Nobody who would tell knows more. Everything else is guesswork.

Any predictions on the discontinue date for R2-D2? Any other sets that are supposed to discontinue very soon? When lego.com says that an item is out of stock but will ship within 30 days does this mean that those are the last of the sets made? Thanks.

242 left on amazon.com

Will that be the last batch? that's part of the fun 

In regards to our news segment regarding the SSD retiring, here is the information we obtained to make this news. 

1. The manager of the store told me.
  2. Everything that particular manager has told me so far, has been true.
  3. The way it works in their world is each week they get their stock in. They noticed when particular sets stop showing up on their trucks each week. It's been 6 weeks since a SSD has shown up on their trucks. They did note that the T1 Camper Van has also not been on trucks for awhile. 
  4. It makes business since for all of this to be true since we are at the end of April and they need to make room for the Sandcrawler on May 3rd.

They didn't even have room to fit the Winter Village Market set on their shelves. Once I bought their last T1 Camper Van, they filled that open space with the Winter Village Market sets again.

When the summer sets hit stores and the few LEGO exclusive sets hit (Mini Cooper, Sandcrawler, Carnival, etc..), sets will need to be retired to make room for new sets. 

Lookie...lookie here...The SSD is OOS at TRU.  Lookie like somebody right about his prediction on The Brick Show...

Maybe an apology by some might be in order.  Maybe the T1 Camper info should resonate a little louder now.

• Like 1

To be fair, they also said DS was done last year. SSD may still not be done, so that remains to be seen. If people just go around saying this set and that set are retired, they're bound to be right from time to time.

Their wording about Death Star was very different. They specifically insisted that it was conjecture based on upcoming ewok village

Lookie...lookie here...The SSD is OOS at TRU.  Lookie like somebody right about his prediction on The Brick Show...

Maybe an apology by some might be in order.  Maybe the T1 Camper info should resonate a little louder now.

Is it likely the SSD is retired though when it is featured in the Spring 2014 catalog from Lego, which is the latest one out? 

http://shop.lego.com/catalog/displayCatalog.jsp?id=8040_2ae035f2_f9c3e99e

To be fair, they also said DS was done last year. SSD may still not be done, so that remains to be seen. If people just go around saying this set and that set are retired, they're bound to be right from time to time.

Even the blind mouse can find the cheese occasionally.

Is the R2 set a nice build? For some reason, it just doesn't appeal to me, and I don't buy sets I don't like. I want to get one, but keep holding off.

I do the same (only buying what I like myself, unless the discount is too good to be true - which it then usually is). I don't like the R2D2 by itself from the reviews I have seen, but I can imagine me wanting to motorize one in a couple of years. As statue it is ok-ish, but driving around it would make a nice attraction.

• Like 1

Is the R2 set a nice build? For some reason, it just doesn't appeal to me, and I don't buy sets I don't like. I want to get one, but keep holding off.

This is one of the few LEGO sets I have on display in my collection.  I think it looks awesome in person and a lot of people take notice of it right away.