HOT! LEGO City Fire Plane (4209) $19.99 at Toys R' Us

Guest ph4tb0i

Target was so hostile to price matching 1 set, much less the 2 that i wanted, that i had to walk out. The manager was acting like I was trying to rip them off or something.

It just wasnt worth it for me.

Then I went next door to the evil TRU and they price matched 2 for me no problem.

Is it opposite day or something????

Update to my TRU order.  I got an email saying that my order would be delayed but was not cancelled.  I'm guessing they thought that their potential bait and switch move would work against them and get reported if they reneged on their listing.  I had no trouble getting price matched at Target.  Thank you OP!

Not sure how this all works, but I found it interesting that every one of the 69 toys r us within 50 miles of me were listed as "out of stock" but when i went into 2 of those 69 stores there were plenty Fire Planes on the shelves. Is "in store pick up" stock separate from "in store" stock?

I printed out the page with the price, but they didn't use it.....they had their own i-pads and went to verify at the toys r us website.

Thanks so much. I picked up 3 and they did the same ipad deal at my target. Thank goodness for my redcard! Better deal then even getting them at TRU.

Does Walmart price match?

Only with a physical ad or flyer. Walmart will never match an online price. (At least I have not been able to do that.)

is this odd for TRU to lower a price this much?

This low? Definately in my books. This deal came straight out of the Twilight Zone. :blink:

Target was so hostile to price matching 1 set, much less the 2 that i wanted, that i had to walk out. The manager was acting like I was trying to rip them off or something.

It just wasnt worth it for me.

Then I went next door to the evil TRU and they price matched 2 for me no problem.

Is it opposite day or something????

That is just awful. I'm sorry you had to deal with that kind of hassle at Target. I can only guess the price was so low it even shocked them.

I didn't feel like running across town to TRU after my softball game last night.  My son and I went in for the Father's Day Build Event today and they had two Fire Plane's left on the shelf.  They were surprised, but price matched the website without issue.  Those two didn't show up as "In Stock" when I tried to order them for store pickup last night.

I wonder if someone is going to lose their job on Monday for a typo... 

I ended up getting 8 from 3 different Targets.  Each time they priced matched they had to get 3 different people to verify b/c the discount was so steep.  They were all shocked.

The shady business man in me wonders why companies don't do shady stuff to each other all the time....like....putting something on their website that they do not carry but their competitor does and marking it like 90% off...knowing today's empowered/educated buyer will go to the competitor to price match.

• Like 2

Or some small company run an ad in local paper for a super reduced price on something...like 90% off Helm's Deep...putting in there "limited quantities"...only selling one...

Then going around to all the local big box retailer and getting them to price match the ad and buying out their stock at the below wholesale price.  (HAHA this is probably super illegal....but who knows.)  

Sorry about all the  ...'s

Went to my local target and saw a guy about my age in the lego aisle. This guy is here to clean out all the 4209's!!! :shocked: I thought to myself. Turns out, he was with his little kid telling another woman how expensive lego was and how it always really helped when they ran into a discount on the sets.  So of course I filled my cart with all they had and told him the price as I laughed and walked away!! (actually I grabbed a couple and gave him a heads up about the price).  He ended up thanking me and grabbed one himself. Felt good to help the guy out!

I wonder if someone is going to lose their job on Monday for a typo...

Interesting thought. Though the site still reflects the sale on Saturday afternoon so maybe it's a legit inventory push. Anyone know when it's supposed to go EOL?

I ended up getting 8 from 3 different Targets. Each time they priced matched they had to get 3 different people to verify b/c the discount was so steep. They were all shocked.

I had a similar experience. The discount was so much at one target that had them marked UP to $74.99 that it was like they didn't know what to do. I was casual about it because we had already picked the two we needed at the Target BOGO for $34/ea, but now those are going back. It's nice to be done with some Christmas shopping in June and to have scored something that otherwise would have been passed up. At 4 months old my son doesn't know yet, but the nephews are going to be stoked!

Went to my local target and saw a guy about my age in the lego aisle. This guy is here to clean out all the 4209's!!! :shocked: I thought to myself. Turns out, he was with his little kid telling another woman how expensive lego was and how it always really helped when they ran into a discount on the sets. So of course I filled my cart with all they had and told him the price as I laughed and walked away!! (actually I grabbed a couple and gave him a heads up about the price). He ended up thanking me and grabbed one himself. Felt good to help the guy out!

Haha! You had me goin there for a second!

I didn't have to tell anyone about it at my target as the few employees at cust service did that for me. It was quite the topic. There was a woman next to me doing some sort of shady gift card exchange. When she heard the price her head spun around and laser beams shot out of her eyes as she scanned the box. She then started getting antsy with the employee that was trying to figure out what she needed. I'm sure she bolted for the LEGO isle after she was done ripping them off or whatever she was doing.

The shady business man in me wonders why companies don't do shady stuff to each other all the time....like....putting something on their website that they do not carry but their competitor does and marking it like 90% off...knowing today's empowered/educated buyer will go to the competitor to price match.

When it comes to the world of big business, I actually would not be surprised of a stunt like this. It defnately is a way of hitting Target below the belt in this instance. Granted, Target will make a lot of sales but not without a heavy cost.

Just remembered that right before this discount at Toys R Us, I found some of the Fire Plane set for $30 at Walmart (in store). I doubt the two sales are related but for me feels amusingly coincidental.

Or some small company run an ad in local paper for a super reduced price on something...like 90% off Helm's Deep...putting in there "limited quantities"...only selling one...

Then going around to all the local big box retailer and getting them to price match the ad and buying out their stock at the below wholesale price.  (HAHA this is probably super illegal....but who knows.)  

Sorry about all the  ...'s

When I used to sell Sports Cards, dealers would do this all the time.  They would go to K-Marts and have the manager call the card shop.  The card shop employee, who was in on it, would give them an outrageously low price and K-Mart would price match.  No, it wasn't me.  Unfortunately I knew too many bad dealers in the card industry. :nea:

Guest ph4tb0i

Keep in mind that this "super duper sale" price happens from time to time in Canada and it's because TRU wants to clearance out old/EOL stock. I remember when the dropped 3181 here down to $20. I cheaped out and managed only to get one because I didn't want to pay for the shipping but now I'm really kicking myself because I could be up 4 at that price.