Birthday coming up...

Quacs

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I get for my birthday?

• Palace Cinema
    • Haunted House
    • Robie House
    • Other "building" type set

Okay crew, my b-day is coming up, and I have given my wife the following ideas for my gift:

Palace Cinema

Haunted House

Robie House

She threw her hands in the air and said I need to pick one out. I was secretly hoping she would make this selection 'cause I haven't been able to figure out which I want but, alas it's up to me.

I will be building/displaying this set, so give me some help - which would you pick? If you have a different "building" type set that you really love, I am happy to consider this too.

Either of your first two choices would be awesome to me (I have neither so can't speak to the builds). 

Palace Cinema b/c it screams old-school Hollywood---I used to manage a small chain of movie theaters so it has major appeal to me.

Haunted House b/c who doesn't love scary monsters---also a bit of old Hollywood monster magic appeal to me as well. 

Robie House--meh, never heard of it until I saw it in Lego form.

• Like 2

My birthday was Monday and my wife got me the haunted house. Built it with my son and just finished it tonight. It really is a cool set and a lot of fun to build! Told her this was the best gift she has gotten me in years! She said at least she knows what to get me from now on.

• Like 1

Either of your first two choices would be awesome to me (I have neither so can't speak to the builds).

Palace Cinema b/c it screams old-school Hollywood---I used to manage a small chain of movie theaters so it has major appeal to me.

Haunted House b/c who doesn't love scary monsters---also a bit of old Hollywood monster magic appeal to me as well.

Robie House--meh, never heard of it until I saw it in Lego form.

Great feedback, Hepcat...interestingly, Robie does have some personal connection. I worked at University in Chicago (as a consultant) for about 7 months and would pass by Robie House every day. One weekend, my brother and I took a tour of it and it was stunning. The interior was like it was in the 20s with the famous Frank Lloyd Wright furniture and stained glass, in addition to some Art Deco pieces.

My concern about Robie is that it doesn't look like as fun a build as the other two.

Great feedback, Hepcat...interestingly, Robie does have some personal connection. I worked at University in Chicago (as a consultant) for about 7 months and would pass by Robie House every day. One weekend, my brother and I took a tour of it and it was stunning. The interior was like it was in the 20s with the famous Frank Lloyd Wright furniture and stained glass, in addition to some Art Deco pieces.

My concern about Robie is that it doesn't look like as fun a build as the other two.

I didn't even know that much about it, thanks.  Only two hours outside of Chicago, so may take the chance to see it sometime which could change my mind about it---and Happy B-day!

Palace Cinema - If you like modular houses and something that looks like Sid Grauman's Chinese Theater.
Haunted House - If you like Halloween builds and watched The Munsters as a kid.
Robie House - If you like sets filled with tiny pieces....and they're all red. It is one of the nicest looking Architecture builds though.

Well if all else fails, you could always resort to the ol' tried and true method of "eeney, meeney, miney, moe". ;)

• Like 1

I chose the HH, but maybe I'm biased because I'm such a big fan of the old Universal Monster Movies. I like the Palace Cinema too, but not as much.

Here's a random off-topic fun fact: Clint Eastwood made his big screen acting debut with a small part in the sequel to Creature from the Black Lagoon! 

• Like 1

How in the world has nobody said Tower of Orthanc yet?

My birthday is coming in July and I would tackle thirteen kids at the store to get a Tower of Orthanc.

Also, it's a building. So yeah.

You said building in quotes.

Totally legit option, and frankly it's not top of mind since it hasn't been released yet. Great idea, though.

How in the world has nobody said Tower of Orthanc yet?

My birthday is coming in July and I would tackle thirteen kids at the store to get a Tower of Orthanc.

Also, it's a building. So yeah.

You said building in quotes.

I agree tower of orthanc. my birthday is also in july and the tower will be my gift to myself  oh happy day