Percentage of Lego bought in Canada for investing

Guest ph4tb0i

Guest ph4tb0i

Out of your entire collection, how much would you say you bought from Canada (e.***. a Canadian Lego Store, Walmart, Target, etc) for investing?

I would have to say out of my collection it's pretty much less than 10%. Most of my stuff comes from state side or the UK. Insane markups + HST in Ontario just make the prices a joke compared to what our friends in the USA get.

Haha, you know me ph4tb0i...so far it's 100% CAN purchases and 99% over priced but no  :sweat: I'm not too upset.  Sooner or later I'm come to my senses.  Been able to find a few sets 35%-55% off so makes me feel a little better 'bargain hunting' in CAN.  To all the Canadians, how many of you sell on Ebay internationally and what % of your buyers are CAN vs elsewhere?  30/70 ratio/percentage?      

Guest ph4tb0i

To be honest with you, it's been a 90/10 for USA/Canada. If you tap into the US market you'll definitely hit a bigger audience. The hard part is getting them to pay your shipping.. >_>

The things I usually go for in Canada are:

• 50% off TRU or any other retailer.
  • Polybags (I'm sitting on 72 ghost and clock polybags and i've already sold 30!)
  • Good prices from used things that come from time to time. 

Haha, 100% for me definitely. I found out about the site in February and have had to keep my wallet under a close, watchful eye ever since. I haven`t really scored any huge discounts when compared to the US market (a couple, yes) but am content with the prices I`ve paid. Ya I`m in the game to make money as well, but bottom line, Lego is fun and I`ll always put my personal love for the bricks above all else. That in itself makes me ok with buying Canadian for now (though nothing I`ve purchased in my Brickfolio has been at retail, usually 20% sales and such). If I can`t turn a satisfying profit on a set at some point, I may be disappointed, but have zero problems opening the boxes down the line for myself or giving them away as presents. Way I see it though, with even 20% off sales, worst case scenario is breaking even  :thumbsup:

That being said, I`m a University student and my budget is limited. Call me a horrible investor if you like, but I`ll always put the hobby first, and leave investment for second. It`s supposed to be a fun, learning experience after all and I`m content with fuelling both hobby and investment, as well as the Canadian economy overall  :cheese:

Guest ph4tb0i

No worries @rtisan. Good luck on your studies and it's good that you're starting to invest. I had a lot of osap money that I only let sit in GICs, whereas I probably should've put a downpayment on a house and stored a couple of cafe corner/green grocers in there.. :(

No worries @rtisan. Good luck on your studies and it's good that you're starting to invest. I had a lot of osap money that I only let sit in GICs, whereas I probably should've put a downpayment on a house and stored a couple of cafe corner/green grocers in there.. :(

Thanks so much! Haha, like I said, "fun learning experience" in regards to the Cafes and Grocers. Everyone wishes they had a ton of those  :console:. I know what you mean about the house payment, well, sort of. Sometimes Lego is addicting, even more so than it is fun  :thumbsup:

Guest ph4tb0i

lol, i went to Univ from 2004 - 2009, which was basically the a very good time to invest in Toronto housing/condos. Unfortunately I was also in school (engineering was a big PITA let's just say that) so didn't think much into investing until I graduated.

• 1 month later...

As I go only once a year in the US (NYC), there is no way for me to wait almost a year each time to buy LEGO Hard to Find or exclusive. So I am buying most of my sets at lego.ca and use the lego VIP points to compensate. As the price they charge on Ebay for customs and shipping, most of the time it become more expensive to buy from then to buy from Canada. As my investment collection rely only on large sets, I really appreciate the free shipping all year long from Lego...

If you hints-nTips I'll be happy to read you guys!

BTW, my English might not be perfect as I am from Montreal in the Quebec Province (French speaking) So moderators, please be kind! :)

Guest eightbrick

BTW, my English might not be perfect as I am from Montreal in the Quebec Province (French speaking) So moderators, please be kind! :)

That's okay, don't worry about your english, you speak quite well (tr

So far I've only bought 5 sets from the US, 1 from the UK and the rest are from Canada. Been using amazon and best buy gift cards, pc points etc to help cover the costs. I try to buy when the Legos on sale though, at least 25% off. I don't have any targets near me (yet) and only two walmarts, but they are terrible for Lego. They have a very small selection, and even after the smallest discount, they fly off the shelves.

Sometimes Sears.ca has discounts (20%-40%) and you can also stack a no tax promo code if available to make the deal better...not very often.  I bought some sets back in the spring this way.  I found an older/retired SW set in their Outlet section so once in a while you might want to take a peek, you might get lucky.  The retired palpatine's shuttle with a nice discount and promo code was on there...stocked showed 70+, I bought 5...and after that weekend it was down to 3ish and I ended up purchasing the last one.  Maybe after I posted the deal or people on other sites, the investors went in.  

Also, have your order delivered to the closest sears depot for pick up to reduce risk of damage from shipping.  There will be an invoice sticker on each set but that's easy to peel and won't damage the box.     

Guest eightbrick

They used to have in store stuff as well, I believe they still do, but it varies store to store and is often downright messy. Quite a few stores around me have closed so I haven't popped into one recently... the last time I had Ninjago had just come out. Anyway, sales of 20-25% off aren't uncommon and this February (or maybe it was January), they had the Republic Class Starfighter, Ninjago Spinner Weapons Pack, and the TIE Fighter for half off (25, 12.50, and 35 respectively). Normally they are pretty under the radar, but that deal made the front page on Brickset.

• 1 month later...

I'm 100% Canadian on my stuff. I just wait for the good deals which do happen up here. This week;s 50% off of Helms Deep and Goblin King Battle being perfect examples. My best deals have usually come from Winners (when they have lego, it's typically 50% off) and Real Canadian Superstores (they clear sets out for 50% off quite often).

I'm 100% Canadian on my stuff. I just wait for the good deals which do happen up here. This week;s 50% off of Helms Deep and Goblin King Battle being perfect examples. My best deals have usually come from Winners (when they have lego, it's typically 50% off) and Real Canadian Superstores (they clear sets out for 50% off quite often).

I keep forgetting to check Real Canadian Superstores mainly because I never shop there otherwise. But if any of you are regulars there, please give the rest of us a heads up if you spot a killer deal there! :thumbsup:

At a good RCSS, I find that they will be clearing lego sets fairly regularly (even if they're not close to EOL), and usually at 50% off. But some stores are better than others. The Eglinton/Don Mills store is not that great, whereas the Newmarket one is fantastic. The one time I was in London they were just as good.